NIKON...MIRROR LESS NOW WITH FIRMWARE UPDATE

Comments

• SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member

I am not going to discuss or debate the points I posted on someones behalf, if you want to see some images, go look at Dave Black's instagram account.

Wow!

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    @spraynpray thanks for the lead. I'm now following him.

as for the high iso clean shots this is great news to hear.
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    In an interview of Nikon engineers, one of them said the Z7’s sensor performance is quite similar to the D850’s so we can expect very similar RAW output. He then went on to say the Z7's EXPEED 6 processor is a generation ahead which should produce better JPEG performance than that of the D850, especially at high ISO.

This comment makes some of what we heard about the Z7’s excellent high ISO performance sound quite plausible.
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    I think most of you will love the Z twins - smaller and lighter than D8xx. Really good VF - better than Fuji - And Fuji is good. What you see is what you get.
    I played with both indoors - at one time I used one of them with the new 500mm 5.6 - handheld indoors - got good pictures - crazy.
    Lets see the final versions - but I would like a Z6 as a walk around camera with a S-prime.
    When you try them you will have wet dreams too :-)
    That said I don't think I will dump my D800
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Searcy said:

I am not going to discuss or debate the points I posted on someones behalf, if you want to see some images, go look at Dave Black's instagram account.

Wow!

Yeah. And that crop he posted was very impressive too.
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member

tc88 said:

The low light performance of the two cameras is astonishing. The Z6 produces images that at ISO 6000 that are as clean as the Df and D750 at ISO 400.

Please don't take it personally. But honestly, that's all I need to read to determine (for myself) the credibility of your source. :)
    Great, I was afraid of getting into another debate with someone on this kind of basic stuff. That's why in my original post, I specifically included the qualifier "for myself" when I mentioned what I think about the credibility of your source. Now I can worry less. :)
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    henrick ...I have both the D800 and 810 x 2 so your comment makes my wallet very happy.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Some of the most impressive shots from Dave Black are from cameras that are now ancient like the D3. Everyone gets pumped for new gear but his account is a reminder that the final image is 99% an effort of the artist and not the gear.
    @Pistnbroke: Imagine the following experiment: You had to redo the last 100 pictures you have taken. You had to redo them 3 times – first using a D800, then a D810 and last a D850. We would take all the pictures to a pro printshop. A good size print would be made of all the pictures.
    How many times would you be able to tell the difference between the 3 prints?
    In my case? Probably zero times. That is why I don’t lust for a D850. I realize it will do nothing for my pictures compared to my D800.
    But I am beginning to feel the sexiness of a Z6. Why? Because my experience with the Fuji mirrorless has shown that I come home with different pictures when I use a mirrorless camera. Maybe not better but different.
    I am not so sure my wallet will stay happy.
    henrick ..almost totally agree ..I use the D800 exclusively with a Samyang 14mm.
    The DXO shows a 25% improvement in sharpness if I use a D810 due to the AA filter .
    The D800 is the first one to sell and I think dependent on the shot you could pick out the D800. Too close to forced retirement to invest in Nikon Mirrorless so will wait for Z8 or not and stick to the DX for the birds.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Who's bracing for all the "Nikon Z DOA" type takes once Canon announces next week?
    @henrik1963 D800 had focus issues. So if focus is on point then the other thing is the AA filter as mentioned.
    @mhedges not me. Nikon for the ergonomics. I liked the fuji x system and I would have kept it despite the ergonomics but slow af and shutter lag discouraged me. Nikon adds another + for the ergonomics from what people have been reporting
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    The D800 had focus issues? Not that I have seen with my D800E...

Denver Shooter
    edited August 2018

....my experience with the Fuji mirrorless has shown that I come home with different pictures when I use a mirrorless camera. Maybe not better but different.
    I am not so sure my wallet will stay happy.

henrik, if you give it some more thought, could you possibly put your experience difference into words? Not having actually used a mirrorless, I am trying to imagine what would be different other than exposure related factors.
    Post edited by HankB on
    @Vipmediastar: My D800 is spot on with AF even at 1.4 with a Sigma Art lens.
    @HankB: When I shoot my D800 I come home with RAW files. I finish the pictures in LR. When I shoot My Fuji X-T1 I tend to use different picture styles and I try to tweak exposure before I take the picture. I try to finish the picture in camera before I take it. Most of the time I can just use the jpgs right out of the camera.
    I don’t know why but it makes a difference that you get instant feed back. Some times I give up on a picture because I can see that it wont work. Other times I see new possibilities when shooting.
    For things like portraits with flash and long exposure I still prefer to work with D800.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    I upgraded to a D850 because my D800 would have been on its second refurbishment. The Z7 might be a fun toy with the 58 0.95 and backup camera with the FTZ until the D860 comes out.
    @WestEndFoto: I would have to come visit you to drool all over your "stop gap walk around camera kit" :-)
    @henrik1963
    I think you are saying you are reacting to the extra extra information. That sounds like a good thing. Just another change under the broad heading of digital photography.
    No problems with auto focus on the D 800 where do you get this rubbish from ??
    You guy already forgot about the issues? I had my d800 serviced and even have the mirror box replaced.

Check here
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member

Not rubbish at all, early production models had focus alignment issues, it was well documented on the web, here on the blog and forum, and by the likes of Thom Hogan.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    PB_PM said:

Not rubbish at all, early production models had focus alignment issues, it was well documented on the web, here on the blog and forum, and by the likes of Thom Hogan.
    I remember that quite well. I waited a year before buying my D800 for that very reason.

@WestEndFoto: I would have to come visit you to drool all over your "stop gap walk around camera kit" :-)

Well, if the FTZ adapter works as promised, I can see a future with the Z mount. While I don't see it replacing my f-mount for quite a while, I see a gradual evolution and am intrigued enough to want to gain some hands on experience.
    oh yes I remember left right and all that ..I just leave my focus point in the middle ...well I don't even focus with the Samy 14mm its taped up at 10 ft