Z6 ii and Z7 ii

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Yes possibly. Although that grip doesn't allow hot swapping of batteries which I believe was one of the selling points of the Nikon grip.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,705Member
    edited October 2020
    All non-Nikon third party grips with a shutter release which will fit the Z6 and Z7 bodies are going to have an external cable from the grip to the camera body. Not a clean solution. I would happily pay more to avoid that external cable. We will have to wait a while for non-Nikon third party grips for the Z6II and Z7II which do not need that external cable. They will come. Will they be a durable? Big question.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    My Z6 II has not shipped yet. Is it time to start worrying about the Z8/Z9? :D
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    :D :D :D

My advice would be keep calm and carry on...
    Always learning.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 649Member
    The crazy thing with Nikon is doomed and the like.. only a tiny percentage of camera customers are looking at the Tony's and Frono's of the world. People are buying a Nikon because their dad had a Nikon or because they looked at Nikon and Canon and decided black was nicer than white.
    Nice wee review of the AF
    this chap did another full wee review with his Z6II on a wedding. Not my subjects, but nice to see it.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    Both those videos made me feel much more confident in buying a Z7ii ( waiting for grey)but I noted the presenter said he was using a Z5 as his main camera. Personally, 24MP does not have the crop ability or pixel count for a 14mm to use at a wedding but I am interested.
    |So have we any focus reviews or comments on the Z5 autofocus? The ones I have read equate it to the D780 for image quality but no reference to the autofocus.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    My understanding is that it is a little under the AF level of the current Z6 but I can't say i'm 100% sure on that
    I think for a wedding 24MP is more than enough, you have a lot more control that you would with say a duck. Z5 or indeed any AF should be fine for slow moving people, you'll just need to find the right mode. I would however, strongly suggest a Z7II or Z6II if you are planning on buying the 50mm f/1.2 so you can use the grip and have the faster eye AF which I feel is almost require for shooting at f/1.2. But even then I am sure you can use single point and even pinpoint AF(Pinpoint AF can also be triggered by using the zoom controls on the body, so you can set in AF-C a point to the position you want, get a safety shot then zoom in on that AF point into pin point to make sure to get that sharp focus).
    My wife just read that comment over my shoulder ..." I might be old but I am not that stupid, 24 MP? That guy has clearly not photoshopped wedding photos "
    And from my point of view 50mm and f1.2 just not appropriate. Zooms rule at weddings and at least f5.6.
    Thats the joy of photography everyone to there own.
    I have indeed done weddings, all be it reluctantly and always with a 35mm and 85mm prime. Like everything it is your style and if you have to crop. 24MP is 2 more MP than the last weddings I did and no one ever complained about the size of the images or quality of the prints. The biggest like people had was how they looked with the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2
    Pistnbroke: Taylor Jackson shoots 60 or 70 weddings a year. He used a D780 and D850 in 2020.
    edited October 2020
    To see his youtube videos just go to youtube and type in Taylor Jackson

Post edited by donaldejose on
    This is his post processing.
    Z5 comments anybody?
    I didn't purchase one because it offers too little in my opinion. Better to go upscale from the Z6 and Z7. That rationale is likely also true for most people here so you may not get much response.
    My Z6 was cheeper than the Z5 and came with a XQD in the box. £1399 when the lockdown kicked in and shops got in a panic. I would not buy a Z5 over the Z6 or Z6II under any circumstances.

2 SD cards is just two cards that will fail at some point and the lack of the top screen would be a bugger when it is so important.
    I watched a q&a/introduction webinar of the Z6II & 7II yesterday given by WEX photographic here in the UK. I asked the question "How does the IQ and AF of the Z6II and Z7II compare to the D850 - The guy kind of skipped the IQ part of the question but said that if you learn to use the various focus modes of the new mirrorless cams, they can be as good as the D850.

I am skeptical...

Always learning.

I watched a q&a/introduction webinar of the Z6II & 7II yesterday given by WEX photographic here in the UK. I asked the question "How does the IQ and AF of the Z6II and Z7II compare to the D850 - The guy kind of skipped the IQ part of the question but said that if you learn to use the various focus modes of the new mirrorless cams, they can be as good as the D850.

I am skeptical...

The Z7 and Z7ii will have exactly the same IQ as the D850. As for the Z6 and Z6ii, the IQ is fantastic but it is not 45MP. I could send you a Z6 RAW of a squirrel or something. As for the Z7 and Z7ii is it identical to the D850 and pretty close to the R5 in low light, but that wee bit sharper.
    That's good to hear. I am skeptical though about the AF of a mirrorless being as good as that of the D850 right now.
    Always learning.
    That really depends what you are shooting. Mirrorless is way ahead of DSLR in some cases and still behind in others. I really love the Z6 for wildlife, it keeps up with my subjects and even has silent shooting to get shots that a mirror clanger would scare off. For people I love the eye AF.

Really the AF is just better than a DSLR especially when it comes to coverage for composing. These Z cameras are only really struggling at sports and some action shots... but they are not a D6 class body.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member

That really depends what you are shooting. Mirrorless is way ahead of DSLR in some cases and still behind in others. I really love the Z6 for wildlife, it keeps up with my subjects and even has silent shooting to get shots that a mirror clanger would scare off. For people I love the eye AF.

Really the AF is just better than a DSLR especially when it comes to coverage for composing. These Z cameras are only really struggling at sports and some action shots... but they are not a D6 class body.

The full frame coverage of AF is the most important feature for me (I like to shoot wide open with the focus point outside of the traditional DSLR image area) and considering that I could get eyes in focus consistently with my D800, I would tell anybody that complains that they can't get eyes in focus to turn off the eye AF and do it manually. And if they can't do that, they should learn to focus.

Regarding AF for moving subjects, the Z 6ii and Z 7ii seem more than good enough for my needs, which include some BIF and small erratic children. Again, if you are not getting stuff in focus, then learn to focus. I think that this argument applies even if some competitor camera is a little better.

This as I am contemplating my Z entry strategy.
    @WestEndFoto sounds l like sound advice. I was using the bloody centre point and recompose with a Canon 5DII for a decade. I know the new cameras like the R5 can pick out a bird before you can, but any of these new cameras have good AF.

This as I am contemplating my Z entry strategy.

I look forward to your findings WEF.
    Always learning.