Move to the Z system or buy a F-Mount Lens

Comments

• photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 649Member
    @webmastadj the roadmap is 2021 to 2022. They'll likely be some surprises on the way, but I wouldn't expect all of these lenses in 2021, though I do expect them by 2022. Some of them have been there over a year so 2021 might feel like the year of the Z lens.
  • webmastadjwebmastadj Posts: 219Member
    edited February 2021
    @photobunny But "by 2022" is technically all in 2021. ;)

Lol, wish I had the inside information.
    Post edited by webmastadj on
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member

@webmastadj the roadmap is 2021 to 2022. They'll likely be some surprises on the way, but I wouldn't expect all of these lenses in 2021, though I do expect them by 2022. Some of them have been there over a year so 2021 might feel like the year of the Z lens.

You might get a surprise in 2021. They have two years and are only committed to 11 lenses on the roadmap. Based on what they seem to be able to produce, there might be up to 5 surprises.

I think the roadmap is partially guided by what Nikon thinks will stem switchers. I think they also want to leave enough room to be flexible on what they launch.
    Plus the recent statement about moving almost all focus (pun intended) on the Z system.

@photobunny But "by 2022" is technically all in 2021. ;)

Lol, wish I had the inside information.

My understanding is the roadmap is until December 31st 2022. I would love to be wrong, or better yet I would love if I could just pre-order my 400mm f/2.8 so they know how many they need to build and ship them when they are ready.
    @photobunny Lol, let's call up Nikon together. Bring out the z 400mm f/2.8, z 300 f/2.8, and a z 500 f/5.6.....I will put my pre-order in for the camera and lenses today.

@photobunny Lol, let's call up Nikon together. Bring out the z 400mm f/2.8, z 300 f/2.8, and a z 500 f/5.6.....I will put my pre-order in for the camera and lenses today.

I don't think calling them works, but I think it would be sensible to put out the big lenses for pre-order so they can just start building the amount they need instead of guessing sales volume.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

I don't think calling them works, but I think it would be sensible to put out the big lenses for pre-order so they can just start building the amount they need instead of guessing sales volume.

Good idea. They would have to have a stock pre-built at the factory which they replenish as they are ordered and parts that are pre-made ready to assemble but that small batch mentality would lead to higher cost prices.
    Always learning.

Good idea. They would have to have a stock pre-built at the factory which they replenish as they are ordered and parts that are pre-made ready to assemble but that small batch mentality would lead to higher cost prices.
    If they could get as close as possible to just in time manufacturing then they would achieve very little waste. Having over a thousand 600mm f/4.0 lenses sitting in a warehouse costs money. Having 1000 orders for a specific lens come in and then being able to spit them out quickly would result in lower wastage and guessing. No one wants to sit on stock that isn't shifting.
    @photobunny I would think they have limited resources to make lenses. So they do X lens this [insert time frame it takes to produce those lenses], then make Y lens next [insert time frame it takes to produce those lenses] using the same resources. That way they don't have resources "hanging around" doing nothing. "We are running low on 600mm f/4s, let's build [insert estimated sales over 12 months here] next month. Then we should build another [insert estimated sales over 12 months] 70-200s the month after."

Also they can swap out any equipment they would need for each lens and make a batch. In addition, they can purchase parts in bulk at one time as I am sure depending on the lens, there are part differences. It is cheaper to purchase, for an example, 1000 tripod feet for the 400 f/4 than it is to purchase 1 every two weeks.

Based on what happens with the stock availability on some of the items, where they go out of stock for a month or more, I would suspect this is how they do it. At least this is how I would do it. They know people will wait for their products, so why spend the extra money to produce 2,000 of something very quickly when they know in 6 months after producing 500 a month, they will catch up with demand. Oh, and lenses have a very long lifecycle when compared with other products. So hold on to inventory does not hurt them like it would, for example, Apple with iPhones. But what do I know? I am just a customer trying to predict what Z lens they will come out with next o:)

If they could get as close as possible to just in time manufacturing then they would achieve very little waste. Having over a thousand 600mm f/4.0 lenses sitting in a warehouse costs money. Having 1000 orders for a specific lens come in and then being able to spit them out quickly would result in lower wastage and guessing. No one wants to sit on stock that isn't shifting.
    JIT in the sense that you are desicribing works for things with long production runs, not small batches.

JIT in the sense that you are desicribing works for things with long production runs, not small batches.

Exactly.
    Always learning.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    edited February 2021

@photobunny I was thinking the 24-200 would be a good "walking around" lens. I have the 18-140 DX lens, and I use it just for that purpose from time to time. The 18-140 ~ 24-200 on FX. That may turn into a later purchase...will have to wait and see.

I am thinking of waiting another few months, just to see what Nikon may announce. This road map I believe ends in 2021, so I am curious what they will announce in 2022. With the Z7 ii, the biggest thing I am looking for are lenses.

Ditto. My D7000 is quite on the older side and I'd like something a bit more modern. I got the 18-135mm kit zoom with my D40 kit and I still use that quite a lot with my D7000. I'm also trying to figure out if I should stay with F-mount DX with potentially a D7500 replacement (increasingly doubtful) or wait for a Z-mount DX midranger with no great lenses. If I stick with F-mount, I'd have all the lenses I want with no need for adapters.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    NSXTypeR said:

@photobunny I was thinking the 24-200 would be a good "walking around" lens. I have the 18-140 DX lens, and I use it just for that purpose from time to time. The 18-140 ~ 24-200 on FX. That may turn into a later purchase...will have to wait and see.

I am thinking of waiting another few months, just to see what Nikon may announce. This road map I believe ends in 2021, so I am curious what they will announce in 2022. With the Z7 ii, the biggest thing I am looking for are lenses.

Ditto. My D7000 is quite on the older side and I'd like something a bit more modern. I got the 18-135mm kit zoom with my D40 kit and I still use that quite a lot with my D7000. I'm also trying to figure out if I should stay with F-mount DX with potentially a D7500 replacement (increasingly doubtful) or wait for a Z-mount DX midranger with no great lenses. If I stick with F-mount, I'd have all the lenses I want with no need for adapters.
    So what do you consider modern? To be honest I would not use that word to describe any DSLR.

Sounds like a D500 would work well for you.
    mhedges said:

NSXTypeR said:

So what do you consider modern? To be honest I would not use that word to describe any DSLR.

Anything digital.
    mhedges said:

NSXTypeR said:

I was hoping for USB-C charging on a DSLR from any battery pack. That's incredibly useful in a pinch.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    @NSXTypeR I believe the Z6ii and Z7ii have that USB charging feature.

I love my D500.....if it wasn't for the Z system coming out, I wouldn't be replacing it any time soon. I have done portraits, landscapes, wildlife, weddings, and so on with it. Sure a D850 would be nice in some of those scenarios, but for 90% of what I do, it works great.

I love my D500.....if it wasn't for the Z system coming out, I wouldn't be replacing it any time soon. I have done portraits, landscapes, wildlife, weddings, and so on with it. Sure a D850 would be nice in some of those scenarios, but for 90% of what I do, it works great.

Yes, I'm aware of that. But I was hoping for a mid range DX Z mount camera that's not the Z50. I'm in no rush, I'm willing to wait for either a D7500 replacement or a proper midrange DX Z mount camera. Although if I were to wait for a DX Z mount camera, I would hope for more native lenses.
    @NSXTypeR Agreed on that. Would love a D500 equivalent Z camera...but that may be awhile.
    NSXTypeR said:

Yes, I'm aware of that. But I was hoping for a mid range DX Z mount camera that's not the Z50. I'm in no rush, I'm willing to wait for either a D7500 replacement or a proper midrange DX Z mount camera. Although if I were to wait for a DX Z mount camera, I would hope for more native lenses.
    What are you looking for that Z50 doesn't give?

Sure, its not a D500 but I bet it will be very nice compared to D7000.
    mhedges said:

NSXTypeR said:

What are you looking for that Z50 doesn't give?

Sure, its not a D500 but I bet it will be very nice compared to D7000.
    I'm definitely picking nits, but I got an EN-EL15b battery as the one in my D7000 is dying and I was hoping the next camera would be compatible with it. I know, I'm being really pedantic right now.
    Agreed.
    Always learning.
    NSXTypeR said:

I'm definitely picking nits, but I got an EN-EL15b battery as the one in my D7000 is dying and I was hoping the next camera would be compatible with it. I know, I'm being really pedantic right now.

That is as good a reason as any. I am sure a lot of photographers with D850's will be glad that the existing batteries and chargers and XQD cards they have work in the FF Z bodies and will likely work in future versions.
    Yeah usage of the 15 battery would be nice. Not sure why Nikon felt the need for the new battery for the Z50 - I assume size reasons?

NSXTypeR said:

That is as good a reason as any. I am sure a lot of photographers with D850's will be glad that the existing batteries and chargers and XQD cards they have work in the FF Z bodies and will likely work in future versions.
    Forward compatibility is always a plus.
    mhedges said:

Yeah usage of the 15 battery would be nice. Not sure why Nikon felt the need for the new battery for the Z50 - I assume size reasons?

Size probably? Maybe because they didn't want to fit a top LCD for size reasons they can go smaller on the battery.