Move to the Z system or buy a F-Mount Lens

1234568»

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,744Member
    The CIPA scores are not tracking battery life, but how long the LCD screen can stay powered. The shots are something like 30 seconds apart and the screen stays on.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,744Member
    edited May 2021
    Some comments as I play with my new toys (for background I bought all the S primes). The Noct has still not arrived yet, but I have the 1.8 and 1.2 primes. I have not been testing the lenses really, but going through the cameras and learning how they operate. For one body, I have the grip installed and am shooting the S primes. For the other body, I am not using the grip and am shooting my "small set" of AIS lenses, which include the 18 3.5, 24 2.8, 40 2.0 (Voightlander), 50 1.8 (close focus Japanese version), 85 2.0, 105 2.5, 135 2.8, 200 4.0 (non micro and really small) and 400 5.6. With the exception of the 400, they all fit in a compact shoulder bag, albeit a little cramped. I am still waiting for my straps from UPStrap and my L-Brackets from RRS.

Most of my observations at this point relate to the S lenses.

The 85 1.8 is quite beautiful and has some sort of "quality" to it that I did not expect that is flattering for portraiture. The way that it renders backgrounds when wide open is lovely, though it still does not have the same beauty as my 58 1.4G. But still lovely in an unexpected way and superior to the other 1.8 primes in this regard. But like my 105 1.4E on my D850, it is very sharp wide open so the subject really "pops". Sure, it shows every dimple, but Lightroom or Photoshop can soften that, while leaving the eyes, eyebrows and eyelashes wickedly sharp. The 85 1.8S takes this to the next level. In fact, the 85 1.8S seems just as sharp as the 50 1.8S, which I was not expecting. The 85 1.8S is turning out to be a great portrait lens which is a bonus because I really bought it as a walk around. Any purposeful portrait shoot that I do will be with the 85 1.2S when it comes out.

The 50 1.8 is truly impressive, but I was expecting that, so no surprise. What is surprisingly impressive is how good the 50 1.2 is. Just as sharp as the 1.8 wide open, even sharper stopped down to 1.8 and still noticeably sharper than the 1.8 at f/4.0. Anybody that tells you that they are all the same stopped down does not know what they are talking about. You can safely roll your eyes when you hear people tell you that. And across the frame I might add. Above, I compare the 85 1.8S to my 105 1.4E and say that the 85 is sharper. But I discount that since the 85 is 1.8, not 1.4 like the 105 and I have not compared both stopped down. But the 50 1.2 is significantly sharper wide open, across the frame, than my 105 1.4E. And I was really blown away by the 105 1.4E when I bought that three years ago. Not only is this the best 50 I have every shot in this regard, but it is the best lens I have ever shot in this regard - with the possible exception of my 400 2.8E - I will want to put those next to each other. Note, that I have never shot the Art or Otus, but Thom has shot the Art and he says it is better (and I trust Thom). Well, I will say that the 50 1.2 is better than the 1.8 at equivalent apertures (but I am not ready to say significantly better) and is significantly better than the 105 1.4E. So how about that!

Note that I often compose people at the edge - not right on it, but close. These lenses really hold up with that composition. I can't tell the difference between the centre and edge. I don't pay too much attention to the corners, because I never compose there and as long as their is no smudging, I don't get too fussed over corner sharpness.

The 24 1.8 and 35 1.8 are very competent. Nothing is standing out, but they are very good.

The 20 1.8S is a surprise. I also have the 20 1.8G. And while I thought it was a good lens, I never thought it was spectacular. The S is spectacular. It is sharper wide open than the G at any aperture. Need I say more?

When I get fully comfortable with my Z 7ii bodies and after the Noct arrives, I will start looking at the lenses more closely.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I was always so pleased with the battery life on the D750. I remember several days at Grand Tetons NP and Yellowstone NP and not having to change batteries.

The D780 doesn't seem to be good but I have not been on vacation with in. The past 2 weekends I shot 300 to 500 shots at our grandsons baseball game and battery charge was at 65% to 50%. And that was with CL and CH shooting 2 to 3 second burst. Definitely not comparable to the D750.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    I'd advise anyone interested in F mount lenses to purchase sooner rather than later.
    mhedges said:

I'd advise anyone interested in F mount lenses to purchase sooner rather than later.

I am afraid your correct. I just can't believe it.

Wonder if the older DSLR crop sensor bodies will go up in price along with lenses for a couple of years and then drop as people switch to mirrorless bodies and lenses.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Photobug said:

Wonder if the older DSLR crop sensor bodies will go up in price along with lenses for a couple of years and then drop as people switch to mirrorless bodies and lenses.

I think there will be a lot of used DSLR gear on the market, at pretty attractive prices. That's typically how things go during transitions like this. Especially given how the ILC market overall is shrinking.
  • bcmmikebcmmike Posts: 46Member
    mhedges said:

Photobug said:

I think there will be a lot of used DSLR gear on the market, at pretty attractive prices. That's typically how things go during transitions like this. Especially given how the ILC market overall is shrinking.
    I hope that's the case. I'm one of those folks who is happy with his antiquated DSLR. :)
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    Photobug said:

mhedges said:

I was really hoping for one more iteration of the D500 and with much luck the D7500 too but I highly doubt that now for the D7500.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    NSXTypeR said:

Photobug said:

mhedges said:

I was really hoping for one more iteration of the D500 and with much luck the D7500 too but I highly doubt that now for the D7500.
    Unfortunately I agree with you...doubt will see any updates on these two fine bodies. I also expected an update to the D500 but not the D7500. With so many rumors going on its hard to figure out what is going to happen.