Move to the Z system or buy a F-Mount Lens

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    mhedges said:

Yeah usage of the 15 battery would be nice. Not sure why Nikon felt the need for the new battery for the Z50 - I assume size reasons?

According to one of the Nikon Regional Sales Representatives, in a Zoom presentation, Nikon changed batteries to extend battery life. It also works in some of the DSLR bodies. Forgot which ones.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • webmastadjwebmastadj Posts: 219Member
    mhedges said:

Yeah usage of the 15 battery would be nice. Not sure why Nikon felt the need for the new battery for the Z50 - I assume size reasons?

Maybe this is because the Z50 is considered low level camera. Kind of like how their D5600 has a different battery than the D500s. Maybe they will come out with a Z60, or Zx0 something that will be considered like a D500 level...then it will use the same battery as the others.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2021
    Photobug said:

mhedges said:

According to one of the Nikon Regional Sales Representatives, in a Zoom presentation, Nikon changed batteries to extend battery life. It also works in some of the DSLR bodies. Forgot which ones.
    The Z50 ships with the EN-EL25, no Nikon DSLRs use this battery. The Nikon website lists the Z50 as the only compatible camera.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited February 2021
    Doubt we'll be seeing an update of the entry level DSLR's any time soon, and those are the only ones it could be used with. Too small a battery for the higher end bodies.

Will they use it in another Z body? A Z50 replacement, that's likely.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    I am referencing the Z series...not DSLRs.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    edited February 2021
    Photobug said:

mhedges said:

I think you may be thinking of the EN-EL15C, which does have more capacity than the previous versions and works on many DSLR's. The Z50 battery (EN-EL25) actually has slightly less capacity than the battery the lower end DSLRs used (the EN-EL14), and quite a bit less capacity than the 15.

mhedges said:

Maybe this is because the Z50 is considered low level camera. Kind of like how their D5600 has a different battery than the D500s. Maybe they will come out with a Z60, or Zx0 something that will be considered like a D500 level...then it will use the same battery as the others.

It's weird to me how they positioned the Z50. It's in between the 5000 and 7000 series DSLRs but I feel it's closer to the 7000, given the dual control wheels, metal body, and general features.

Post edited by mhedges on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    edited February 2021
    mhedges said:

Photobug said:

mhedges said:

I think you may be thinking of the EN-EL15C, which does have more capacity than the previous versions and works on many DSLR's. The Z50 battery (EN-EL25) actually has slightly less capacity than the battery the lower end DSLRs used (the EN-EL14), and quite a bit less capacity than the 15.

mhedges said:

It's weird to me how they positioned the Z50. It's in between the 5000 and 7000 series DSLRs but I feel it's closer to the 7000, given the dual control wheels, metal body, and general features.

I agree, it leaves a lot of enthusiasts in the lurch looking for a Z system camera at the same level as Nikon's mid or higher DSLR offerings.

From a business perspective, it reeks of the bean counters' agenda to push people towards FX Z mount cameras.

I'm optimistic, but I remember how little attention and development native DX lenses got and hope a similar fate does not await DX Z mount. That's another reason why I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on the Z50.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    NSXTypeR said:

I agree, it leaves a lot of enthusiasts in the lurch looking for a Z system camera at the same level as Nikon's mid or higher DSLR offerings.

From a business perspective, it reeks of the bean counters' agenda to push people towards FX Z mount cameras.

Why do you say that? I've complained about the price yes but realistically it gives almost all of the 7*** series performance at a substantially lower price than the 7000 DSLR's were at launch.

To me (as you say) the major issue is lens support.
    I think the lack of major development for DX lenses makes sense. Get some inexpensive basic lenses for the DX line for the entry level folks. If you are serious, then the FX lens line which will/does works fine with the DX cameras. Of course it saves them money in development, but why reinvent the wheel. For example, why make two versions of the 70-200 f/2.8.....just to lower the retail price a few hundred dollars for cost. Lol, you know they wouldn't make it half of the cost. Plus also gives your customers no reason to go FX but I like the flexibility honestly. Being able to use, for example, all your lenses on both a D850 and D500 is great!
    mhedges said:

Photobug said:

mhedges said:

mhedges said:

My mistake....I was speaking of the batteries for the other Z mount bodies. mhedges is correct, the Z50 uses a different smaller battery.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited February 2021
    Oh theres zero chance for crop sensor 2.8 zooms. And as you say they don't really make sense anyway.

I think the question is - will Z get to around the same level of lens support as DX F mount got? Really they don't need too many:

Consumer zoom trilogy (currently have 2 of 3, WA zoom rumored)
    35 1.8 (possibly superseded by FF compact primes)
    "shorter" superzoom (on roadmap)
    "longer" superzoom
    High end kit zoom
    40mm macro (not very popular)
    85mm macro (also not so popular)
    In interviews Nikon executives had said they are focusing on Z FX primarily for the next few years, so it doesn't look good for anything beyond the current DX roadmap in terms of lenses.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    mhedges said:

NSXTypeR said:

Why do you say that? I've complained about the price yes but realistically it gives almost all of the 7*** series performance at a substantially lower price than the 7000 DSLR's were at launch.

To me (as you say) the major issue is lens support.
    Fair, the feature set aside from the top LCD is quite similar.

I think the lack of major development for DX lenses makes sense. Get some inexpensive basic lenses for the DX line for the entry level folks. If you are serious, then the FX lens line which will/does works fine with the DX cameras. Of course it saves them money in development, but why reinvent the wheel. For example, why make two versions of the 70-200 f/2.8.....just to lower the retail price a few hundred dollars for cost. Lol, you know they wouldn't make it half of the cost. Plus also gives your customers no reason to go FX but I like the flexibility honestly. Being able to use, for example, all your lenses on both a D850 and D500 is great!

It makes no sense to make exotic zooms, but what was really lacking was cheaper DX primes. I wouldn't really care for another macro lens, as I already have one and potentially could use an adapter.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    NSXTypeR said:

Fair, the feature set aside from the top LCD is quite similar.

True I forgot about that. Top LCD's seem to be disappearing in general. Z6 and the panasonic are the only models in their class that have them - R6 and A7's don't.

mhedges said:

True I forgot about that. Top LCD's seem to be disappearing in general. Z6 and the panasonic are the only models in their class that have them - R6 and A7's don't.

I hope not, I find the extremely useful.

edited February 2021
    Can't say I ever use the top screen on the Z6, not much point when all that information is live on the rear LCD or EVF. On a DSLR it is very useful, mirrorless not so much.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 647Member
    I use the top screen on the Z6 quite extensively, it is the fastest way to see at a glance if I have exposure compensation on and... well everything else. I wouldn't buy a Z camera that lacked the top screen now, but I could do without the mode dial(Maybe put a mode button on the shutter speed dial and use the top screen and hence let me customise it to modes I want available such as M, M in H+, M for video, S).
    PB_PM said:

In interviews Nikon executives had said they are focusing on Z FX primarily for the next few years, so it doesn't look good for anything beyond the current DX roadmap in terms of lenses.

Interesting. During a Zoom Nikon call the Regional Representative said that Nikon is focusing on the Z cameras and lenses but there would be two updates for DX lenses and one body. That was about one month ago.
    That would cover the roadmap they talked about. Nothing contradictory.
    edited February 2021
    I like the top LCD too. I could live without it, sure, but would much rather have it. It's very handy for quick battery/memory card status checks, or checking general settings as Photobunny says. Also nice for tripod work.
    Lol, I think they need to make a Z to F adapter. That way I can start investing in Z glass and wait for a new Z camera that meets my needs.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,744Member
    An ZTF adapter is impossible.

An ZTF adapter is impossible.

That is what they said about digital cameras taking the place of film a "few" years ago. ;)
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 647Member
    ZTF would indeed require some wibbily wobbly timey wimey. And it would be pointless.