Move to the Z system or buy a F-Mount Lens

Comments

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    edited February 2021

The problem with a narrow definition (one that defines ROI in purely monetary terms) is that it excludes other forms of utility our cameras may provide. WEF may disagree, but I consider the money, time, and sweat I put into photography as an investment in my mental health. The return isn't monetary - it's something more important than money. Maslow might call it "self actualization." Doing something that makes (or that I think will make) me feel good about myself, life, the world, the universe, and everything.

That's definitely not the standard generally used definition of investment, but I like it.

Whatever floats your boat.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • NikonhotepNikonhotep Posts: 25Member
    I agree with Capt. Spaulding, too, absolutely.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    I agree with you Capt Spaulding.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Very good point @Capt_Spaulding and one which blurs the definition of investment completely.
    Always learning.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 738Member
    LOL Probably true SnP.
    Actually Spraynpray, I think the definition of investment is very clear. It is an effort intended to produce something desirable over a longer timeframe. A financial investment is merely one of many possibilities.
  • bcmmikebcmmike Posts: 46Member

The problem with a narrow definition (one that defines ROI in purely monetary terms) is that it excludes other forms of utility our cameras may provide. WEF may disagree, but I consider the money, time, and sweat I put into photography as an investment in my mental health. The return isn't monetary - it's something more important than money. Maslow might call it "self actualization." Doing something that makes (or that I think will make) me feel good about myself, life, the world, the universe, and everything.

Well said. As with everything, it's " different strokes for different folks". I'm sure others will feel differently but in my case, I know I will never make a cent off of my photography but I do it because I enjoy it and it's something I can do with the wife until all of her medical issues get the best of her. It's all "sunk" costs for me financially, but well worth it. YMMV
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 738Member
    Thanks all. WEF hit my thoughts on the head. It's the commitment of resources to some endeavor with the goal of generating long(er) term benefits. Public education is an example, as is infrastructure development.

@bcmmike I am sorry to hear of your wife's medical issues. Best wishes.

Thanks all. WEF hit my thoughts on the head. It's the commitment of resources to some endeavor with the goal of generating long(er) term benefits. Public education is an example, as is infrastructure development.

@bcmmike I am sorry to hear of your wife's medical issues. Best wishes.

Many thanks
  • NikonhotepNikonhotep Posts: 25Member
    Best wishes to you and your wife from me, too, bcmike. (I've used photography as a source of solace, or at least stress relief, through hard times, as well.)

Best wishes to you and your wife from me, too, bcmike. (I've used photography as a source of solace, or at least stress relief, through hard times, as well.)

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words
  • webmastadjwebmastadj Posts: 219Member
    With the latest post, looks like that Z 300 f/2.8 is on the horizon. I think waiting on the 300 f/2.8 will be best. Was going to buy it used, but I will be purchasing that 500mm f/5.6 PF first I think.

https://nikonrumors.com/2021/03/08/the-latest-nikkor-z-lens-patents-from-nikon.aspx/
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 649Member
    That 500pf works great on z bodies. Only thing that would make it better is for the FTZ not to have a wart on it.
    Yeah...I figure they don’t have anything on the Z roadmap that would be a lightweight 500mm. Also, instead of the 300mm f/2.8...I may pick up the 300mm f/4 PF. Save the funds for a future Z camera with Z 300 f/2.8.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 649Member
    I would go for the 300/4 myself. I used a 2.8 for a decade and it had to live on a monopod at least.
    edited March 2021
    I have used the 300mm f/2.8 in tandem with the 300mm f/4 PF awhile back. I loved the focus speed and the overall look of the images out of the f/2.8. I am sure that is because of that f/2.8. But when reviewing the images I took again, I think I am willing to get the 300mm f/4 PF as a stop gap until the Z line is updated. Plus, it is nice having the lighter weight lens in my future Z kit.

The 500mm PF should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to it. My first new lens in 2 years. B)
    Post edited by webmastadj on
    Just an update: The 500mm f/5.6 PF is worth every penny! The lightweight and easy handling plus the sharpness over the 200-500 is wonderful. It is my new #2 favorite lens in my kit following closely behind my 70-200 f/2.8. <3

Just an update: The 500mm f/5.6 PF is worth every penny! The lightweight and easy handling plus the sharpness over the 200-500 is wonderful. It is my new #2 favorite lens in my kit following closely behind my 70-200 f/2.8. <3 </p>

My friend uses one on his D850. Very impressive optics in a small package.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Awesome glad you like it!

Just an update: The 500mm f/5.6 PF is worth every penny! The lightweight and easy handling plus the sharpness over the 200-500 is wonderful. It is my new #2 favorite lens in my kit following closely behind my 70-200 f/2.8. <3 </p>

My friend uses one on his D850. Very impressive optics in a small package.
    Agreed. I've borrowed my wife's 500 PF when she wasn't looking and it's a dream on my D850
    edited March 2021
    I am very very tempted to pick up another D500 & grip then slap on the 300mm pf. Then take the dual D500s with the 500mm pf and 300mm pf with me instead of the 200-500... B)

But waiting to see if that crop sensor Z camera Nikon is going to release will be a D500 replacement....if I can wait that long.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    edited March 2021
    Of course you might expect me to have a different view. Until now I have just been waiting ...Z cameras not up to spec ( Steve Perry) and too expensive. Why would I buy a camera thats not as good as my D850? So I sold my D3200 which I only used for ebay photos and bought a D600 with paperwork saying had shutter replaced to go with the Samyang 14mm . So I dont intend spending thousands on Z mount in the foreseeable future.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    edited March 2021
    @Pistnbroke That is my thought as well. If I can purchase another D500 with the accessories...I will good to go for another 4 years. By then hoping Nikon will have a 2nd gen Z system replacement for the d500.

Just seems like the D500 is out of stock everywhere though....hoping they get a shipment in soon.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited March 2021

Just seems like the D500 is out of stock everywhere though....hoping they get a shipment in soon.

5 new on ebay uk atm.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    edited March 2021
    @spraynpray I tried BH, Adamora, and a few small camera stores in the US. I don't want a grey market one and if I order from UK, I don't think the warranty is valid in the US. Even the accessories for it here are out of stock.

There is a $100 rebate right now for it, which in the grand scheme of things is nothing which expires April 4th. I am curious if they are going to announce a new camera around that time.