Z8

Comments

• Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 738Member
    I’ve noticed that, more and more of the time, I run my D750 and D7200 in full manual with auto iso.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    Very disappointed nothing special
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    What were you hoping to see?
    edited April 2023
    Something I could afford...looks like a D850 with a Z mount. Pumped up Z7?
    Needs something special to give it legs
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 649Member
    The Z8 currently looks like a body that has had no DSLR equivalent, it would fit in as a D40, below the D4 but above the D850.
    Just curious - why do you say it's below the D4? Just relative to the Z9?
    edited April 2023
    mhedges said:

Just curious - why do you say it's below the D4? Just relative to the Z9?

In the DSLR era the Z8 looks like: D610 -> D750 -> D850 -> D50/D60(Z8) -> D4/D5/D6
    In the mirrorless era it is: Z5 -> Z6 -> Z7 -> Z8 -> Z9

If the Z8 is as rumoured it is filling a space we haven't filled before, most likely due to the stacked vs non-stacked issue.
    Post edited by photobunny on
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 738Member
    edited April 2023
    It may be my myopia here, but the Z8 looks to muddy the water a bit. It looks a bit like a steroid version of what I had hoped a Z7iii would be. Will buyers who want a lighter, more compact package be willing to pay near Z9 money to shed the grip.

With the Z9 priced at $5500 and the Z7ii at $3000, the $2500 difference seems a bit of a tightrope to walk. I understand it's a lot of money. But, if you simply split the difference and price the Z8 at $4200, I wonder if it will cannibalize sales from a Z7iii (if one ever comes along)? Does it leave sufficient headroom to develop the Z7 series, or will that become an orphan? Or will the added capabilities of the Z9 pull sales from the Z8?

The probability that I will buy any of them is very low, but this product confuses me a bit.
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on
    Perhaps the Z8ii is on its way.
    45MP only gives me 19MP in crop for the birds so 60MP would have been better.
    Agree Z8 at $4000 or so makes things a little tight for any Z7iii. To be honest I think we might not even get one. But if we do my guess is it will be 60 mp or possibly a little more.
    We dont have proof the Z8 is 45 MP could be 60 to match one of the Canons? (spit)
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,705Member
    I am with Pistnbroke as of the specs listed on Nikon Rumor on May 2nd. Just nothing special added to the Z9 specs. It looks like Nikon is trying to do a D3-D700 repeat. That was a huge success back then when the "special" aspect of the D700 was that you were getting a full frame sensor at about $2,000.00 less than the D3 flagship. But that special aspect is not true today when the Z5, Z6, and Z7 all have full frame sensors. So what is compelling about getting a Z8 today when for the same price you can get a used Z9 and you don't have to worry about shutter life anymore? Just buying for lightness? You can get a cheaper Z7ii or soon iii for lightness. In my opinion, if Nikon puts a 45mp sensor it the Z8 they should also offer a Z8x with a 60mp sensor. A pro body high megapixel model should be in the Nikon line ASAP and they have run out of high single digit numbers if that model is not a Z8 model. Maybe it will be a Z10 or Z11? Nikon could start double digit names.

I am with Pistnbroke as of the specs listed on Nikon Rumor on May 2nd. Just nothing special added to the Z9 specs. It looks like Nikon is trying to do a D3-D700 repeat. That was a huge success back then when the "special" aspect of the D700 was that you were getting a full frame sensor at about $2,000.00 less than the D3 flagship. But that special aspect is not true today when the Z5, Z6, and Z7 all have full frame sensors. So what is compelling about getting a Z8 today when for the same price you can get a used Z9 and you don't have to worry about shutter life anymore? Just buying for lightness? You can get a cheaper Z7ii or soon iii for lightness. In my opinion, if Nikon puts a 45mp sensor it the Z8 they should also offer a Z8x with a 60mp sensor. A pro body high megapixel model should be in the Nikon line ASAP and they have run out of high single digit numbers if that model is not a Z8 model. Maybe it will be a Z10 or Z11? Nikon could start double digit names.

The special aspect of the Z8 is that you are getting a stacked sensor. It looks like it'll also be the cheapest high resolution stacked sensor you can buy. There is no 60mp stacked sensor offering so you'll likely want a Z7iii which you'll need to use the mechanical shutter for high speed action or risk distortion with the electronic shutter.

The Z7 is still your D800 series. The Z8 looks like a new line, like the Canon R3, the semi flagship for the time where the sensor read speed is the critical differentiator in cost.
    edited May 2023
    Good point photobunny. Yes, the Z8 will be the cheapest stacked sensor you can buy and that is a big plus. It is like the D3-D700 time when the D700 was the cheapest full frame sensor in the Nikon line. It may be that Nikon has "flipped" naming conventions and the highest megapixel sensor will now appear in the Z7 line without the pro build. Maybe later this year we will see a 60mp Z7iii. Or maybe when a 60+ stacked sensor is developed Nikon will put it in a Z10 and start a new line. High megapixel sensors may also be a moot point for most shooters because of todays good AI software which can add pixels, not to mention in-camera pixel shift for still objects. AI software may even be able to realign slow moving objects to make pixel shift useful for landscape photographers if the wind is still. I have not been to a Tom Mangelsen store to see his prints directly but from the videos I have seen online of those stores he is selling large prints many of which must have been taken with a D3, D4 and D5 since there are videos of him shooing those cameras. If 12, 16 and 20.8 mp are enough for him to produce his poster size prints, then 45 mp surely are all we need.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
    There is no guarantee that the Z6iii and Z7iii won't have the same body and build quality as the Z8. The Z6 and Z7 were how Nikon imagined their mirrorless pro bodies then they back tracked a wee bit with the v2's and backtracked a lot with the Z9.

Canon did the same with the R to R5. Trying a new simpler design for mirrorless then going back to the tired and proven style later.

So what is compelling about getting a Z8 today when for the same price you can get a used Z9 and you don't have to worry about shutter life anymore?

Z8 also has no shutter. It is really very similar to Z9; major differences are lack of grip and if the rumors are true one card slot is SD instead of CF express, no GPS, and no ethernet or sync port.

My guess is the Z6/Z7 line will more or less keep their current body style when (and if for Z7) they get V3 versions. Not every camera will have the pro style controls or some of the other premium features that Z8/Z9 have.

I think Z8 will be a big hit. A true mirrorless equivalent to the D850 - a fast do anything camera that no other manufacturer has (although some come much closer now).

• IanGIanG Posts: 106Member
    I'm confused - what, in your opinion, are the 'pro' controls?
    Cameras, lenses and stuff. (I actually met someone once who had touched a real Leica lens cloth.)
    I really can't get my head around the fact that almost everyone here seems to be 'missing' something on their cameras which prevents them being perfect photographers.

There are no perfect cameras - just use your camera with it's failings (if any, in reality) and make images. Learn to use the machines (which they are) to your best ability - it's most certainly not a few added menu items which will turn you into Ansel Adams...
    Cameras, lenses and stuff. (I actually met someone once who had touched a real Leica lens cloth.)
    To me "pro" controls means no mode dial and settings banks instead of User modes.

I do agree that there is no perfect camera and we get too fixated on gear. But I've had Z6 since launch and even though I'm generally happy with it I'm ready to move on to something with faster AF.
    Funny reaction time :- I posted a comment on the blog after the launch reflecting on the fact that there's no GPS on the Z8, and that I thought it a little sad that NIKON hadn't increased the sensor density and given us a choice of shooting densities, much like Leitz have done.

Oh wow - visibly this was seen by some as bait, and all the bottom-feeders are currently slanging me off for daring to criticise a camera which they will never own.

Sorry guys - this is called expressing my opinion, but then, what do THEY know about that...?
    Well my order is in I'll let everyone knows when it shows up. Hopefully I'm in the first shipment.
    Z8 looks like it'll be a fantastic second/backup camera to my Z9. I can see myself mounting the 600 f/4.0 on the Z9 and the 100-400 on the Z8 for a wildlife outing ether in the field or in the hide.
    Sounds like a plan. I'll be keeping my Z6 for a second body. In case I need that little bit of extra low light performance it gives or if I want to have two lenses going. Also realistically I wouldn't get much if I did sell it.
    Love the Z6 but it doesn't keep up with the Z9 for wildlife. I did get some fantastic wildlife shots out of it though. What I do love is that my Z8 and Z9 images will be all but identical once imported into Capture One so there won't a issue with mismatched image sizes when exporting.
    edited May 2023
    Probably the best summary I have heard about the Z8 is that it is about 98% of the Z9 for about 70% of the cost. Your choice between a Z9 and a Z8 just depends upon which form factor (meaning built in vertical grip or not) you prefer and whether or not $1,500.00 is a significant amount of money to you. My opinion is to just get one of each and see which one you end up using more.
    Post edited by spraynpray on