Z8

124»

Comments

• photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 649Member
    axlrose said:

And here is a wake from standby

is the same no-delay thing also when camera is idle, not turned off?
    The camera is on standby. So I just half pressed the shutter button to wake it up.
  • axlroseaxlrose Posts: 38Member

axlrose said:

The camera is on standby. So I just half pressed the shutter button to wake it up.
    Ah, I see. Thank you!
    axlrose said:

axlrose said:

Ah, I see. Thank you!
    Anytime. If you want any more wee videos of how stuff works feel free to ask.
  • axlroseaxlrose Posts: 38Member

axlrose said:

axlrose said:

Ah, I see. Thank you!
    Anytime. If you want any more wee videos of how stuff works feel free to ask.
    Actually, I would like to ask one thing more: If you make multiple exposure in camera.. does it save as RAW or only JPG? Thanks!
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    So the new firmware update for the Z9 lifts it to a level above the Z8. Good marketing ploy
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,705Member
    Yes, but note firmware 4.0 does not make it a Z8+. Nikon did not add the Z8 skin softening feature to the Z9 update. They easily could have. Why not? It seems Nikon is distinguishing the two bodies with the Z8 having a portrait feature the Z9 does not have and the Z9 now having some useful sports, action, wildlife features the Z8 does not have. Good marketing. Nikon will sell more cameras that way.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Wonder if the Z8 will eventually get some of these same updates.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,705Member
    I would have thought so and still think they will appear later. Maybe firmware update 4.0 was created separately and they just didn't get included but we will see them in the next Z8 firmware update? Maybe Nikon just wants some difference at first so more people buy the Z8 if they already own a Z9 and would not do so if the 4.0 update included everything the Z8 has. Maybe and I would think so, but we will have to wait and see what Nikon does. If so, then we can also expect a later Z8 firmware update to add some of the Z9 4.0 features. If that happens the "main feature" of the Z8 will become just $1,500 less cost and no vertical grip and a smaller battery. Isn't that how the D3 and D700 were essentially different?
    I guess Nikon has said the Auto Capture feature will come to Z8. Not sure about the rest. The only one I really need is Exposure delay; I'm very surprised it was left out - I thought that was a standard feature.
    Anyone have problems with cards on the Z8? I used my Delkin Power 512 card for a shoot, pulled the images off with a card reader, then put it back in the Z8 and the camera gave an error that it couldn't access the card. Wound up having to reformat it in my Z6 and then it was OK.

May have had something to do with the Z8 battery being pretty low but it wasn't giving any errors for low battery.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    edited July 2023
    I see the Z8 is having problems with the strap mounts pulling out and the camera falling to the ground..I have hung all my cameras inc D850 with flash and grip from one strap lug for years as the lug was bolted through the casing..looks like the Z8 is just a push fit. Glad I carnt afford one

Post edited by Pistnbroke on

I see the Z8 is having problems with the strap mounts pulling out and the camera falling to the ground..I have hung all my cameras inc D850 with flash and grip from one strap lug for years as the lug was bolted through the casing..looks like the Z8 is just a push fit. Glad I carnt afford one

Yeah it's pretty disappointing. My understanding is that it isn't supposed to be a push fit but there was some kind of assembly error. Supposedly if you send your body back for the lens lock recall they will also check the strap lugs.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    I just ordered a Z8. My colleague uses a Z9, but I don't need the additional specs. Nikon gave me a pretty good trade-in on my D500, which I hardly ever use nowadays.
    I'm keeping my D850.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    Congratulations on your new camera! I hope the wait for the bird update isn’t too long (if birds is even your thing).
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    The D500 was for birds, but I don’t do that so much anymore. I’m keeping my D850 and will probably hang on to my Z7. My colleague does sports photography, and is a convert from the other big brand once the Z9 came out.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    Symphotic said:

I just ordered a Z8. My colleague uses a Z9, but I don't need the additional specs. Nikon gave me a pretty good trade-in on my D500, which I hardly ever use nowadays.
    I'm keeping my D850.

I have both the Z8 and Z9. I find myself reaching for the Z9 more often, but the Z8 is a good second camera. In Yellowstone and Grand Teton I had the 400 4.5 attached to it all the time and it was really handy when I saw wildlife. It reinforces that I really love to shoot the fully gripped bodies. The extra weight does not bother me - and it gets pretty big with the 1.2 primes. In Yellowstone, I was using the Z9 with the 1.8 primes typically.

Symphotic said:

I'm keeping my D850.

I have both the Z8 and Z9. I find myself reaching for the Z9 more often, but the Z8 is a good second camera. In Yellowstone and Grand Teton I had the 400 4.5 attached to it all the time and it was really handy when I saw wildlife. It reinforces that I really love to shoot the fully gripped bodies. The extra weight does not bother me - and it gets pretty big with the 1.2 primes. In Yellowstone, I was using the Z9 with the 1.8 primes typically.
    The 1.8 primes feel a bit tiny on the Z9. I like them more on the Z6/Z7 bodies. I also like the Z6 and Z8 sized bodies more for when I am attempting landscape, or perhaps more accurately it is when I am mounting a body to the tripod instead of the lens to the tripod.
    Anyone have tips on how to best use the pre-exposure image capture feature? It only works in JPG right? And must be 30FPS or 120? Are the 30 FPS images full resolution? 120 is viewfinder resolution, I believe?