Z8

Comments

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    IanG said:

I really can't get my head around the fact that almost everyone here seems to be 'missing' something on their cameras which prevents them being perfect photographers.

There are no perfect cameras - just use your camera with it's failings (if any, in reality) and make images. Learn to use the machines (which they are) to your best ability - it's most certainly not a few added menu items which will turn you into Ansel Adams...

Definitely true, it's exactly like buying a car or vehicle, very few vehicles could carry a couple large sheets of plywood, carry 8 people and go 0-60 in under 3 seconds, and likely no vehicle would be able to do all that at the same time.

I had to make that decision when I came to the conclusion that Nikon likely wouldn't revise any of the F-mount DX cameras and the D7500 likely wouldn't be available new anymore. I was hemming and hawing at specs and I was potentially considering a complete switch to the Z-mount. The major factor is that I have a full kit of F-mount lenses that I'm happy with and I definitely don't shoot as much as I should. I was debating going to the Z50 but it'd be expensive to swap my other lenses over to the Z-mount. Doubly so if I went Z-mount full frame. If I went Z-mount full frame and got a 24-200 zoom kit, it would have been $2000 and would essentially be the same size as a D7500 with 18-140 kit and about the same weight with way bigger filters. Plus I get to keep using the same batteries, which I wouldn't be able to if I went with the Z50.

Probably the best summary I have heard about the Z8 is that it is about 98% of the Z9 for about 70% of the cost. Your choice between a Z9 and a Z8 just depends upon which form factory (meaning built in vertical grip or not) you prefer and whether or not $1,500.00 is a significant amount of money to you. My opinion is to just get one of each and see which one you end up using more.

Or you could, you know, rent them both?
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Agree on renting. I rented Z9 for a week and it's a great camera but I also could not see having to deal with its size and weight all the time. So Z8 is the clear choice for me.
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    For the $1.5K difference I am going to buy another Z9
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 649Member
    A good call if two identical bodies is the aim.
    Right the Z8 is out. Let’s get the Expeed 7 AF out to every body in the line up. Daft that I can’t consider a Nikon body for my niece and have to look at the R8, R10, and R50 since Nikon have nothing current in those segments that are as easy to use.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,705Member
    Too soon. Maybe in about a year Expeed 7 AF will be in the Z7iii body. Longer for the others. Just too costly.
    I can't imagine Nikon only have two competitive bodies for another year. They have nothing to compete with the Canon R8, R6, and R6 Mk2 atm which is a daft position to be in.
    Totally agree. I think the Z lens lineup is far better than Canon, especially for hobbyist type users, but its hard to recommend until they get bodies that are more competitive.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

Probably the best summary I have heard about the Z8 is that it is about 98% of the Z9 for about 70% of the cost. Your choice between a Z9 and a Z8 just depends upon which form factor (meaning built in vertical grip or not) you prefer and whether or not $1,500.00 is a significant amount of money to you. My opinion is to just get one of each and see which one you end up using more.

First world problems eh? Life is so tough... :)
    Always learning.
    edited May 2023
    mhedges said:

Totally agree. I think the Z lens lineup is far better than Canon, especially for hobbyist type users, but its hard to recommend until they get bodies that are more competitive.

Yep, the Z lenses are all fantastic and I adore the f/1.8 line, though I don't like the f/1.8's on the Z9, they seem a bit small on it. My niece(11) loves the size of the Z6 and button placement, but she prefers using the Z9 as it is easier to use than "Getting the little red box on the face."
    Post edited by photobunny on

Yep, the Z lenses are all fantastic and I adore the f/1.8 line, though I don't like the f/1.8's on the Z9, they seem a bit small on it. My niece(11) loves the size of the Z6 and button placement, but she prefers using the Z9 as it is easier to use than "Getting the little red box on the face."

For general people photography I find Z6 eye AF works pretty well but I get the point.
    mhedges said:

For general people photography I find Z6 eye AF works pretty well but I get the point.
    It doesn't pick up snake, squirrel, or bird eyes so it is useless. It doesn't do 12 FPS, it does 5.5 FPS. I love(d) my Z6, but I know full well its limits and the Z9 is much easier to use as is the any of the Canon R bodies from the R50 to R3. It is a real shame Nikon didn't put out the Z6III with the Z8, but the whole lineup needs updated. Thankfully they did hold the Z8 until it had a mature firmware(though people will now complain that it isn't getting a 2.0 firmware, conveniently forgetting it is starting on 3.) Now that the firmware is mature, get that processor out to the whole lineup.
    Well looks like mine is shipping. Not sure if I will get it tomorrow or Friday.
    Great to hear @mhedges, I hope it helps you create some fantastic images over its lifespan!
    edited May 2023
    Got a Z8, set up the menus and took it on one bird shoot. It is fair to say it is a "mini-Z9" like the D700 was a "mini-D3." They are pretty much identical to shoot if you don't use the built in vertical grip on the Z9 and if you are ok with swapping batteries when needed in long shoot situations where the Z9 battery would last the full time. I don't foresee anybody who cannot simply hold the camera vertically or foresee any shoot so intense there can not be a few minutes down time to swap batteries. Given those two differences I would say it is fairer to drop the "mini" label and just call the Z8 "a Z9 with insignificant differences for 28% less money." That price drop, I think, is the Z8s greatest achievement. That said, so far, I still prefer the Z9 simply because I like the form factor of that solid built-in vertical grip. Add-on vertical grips are not as solid and make the camera bigger than the built-in grip version. The Z8 makes an ideal back up camera to a Z9 because it operates virtually identical. But a used Z9 would be just as good a backup if one can be found for $4,000.00 and eventually they will be (now $4,500.00). As to the complaint the sensor is not 60+ megapixels, I would say you can easily print poster size with 45mp and if you need more megapixels to print even larger current resolution upscaling software is good enough to double the megapixels in your original image and surely will get even better in the future. Thomas Mangelsen has a successful business selling large prints shot at 12, 16 and 20 megapixels. Only his most recent work is at higher megapixels. I am sure he currently uses a Z9 because he has always liked the rugged build and heavier Nikon flagship bodies which balance better with big telephoto lenses. Any complaints about the Z9 or Z8, especially comparisons to Sony or Canon, are insignificant and irrelevant. https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/refurbished-mirrorless-cameras/1669b/z-9-refurbished.html?utm_source=EC&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=refurb-last-5-29-2023&utm_content=btn&utm_term=Z9Body&ET_CID=4749251&ET_RID=904115287
    Post edited by donaldejose on
    I got my Z8 on Friday and took it to a railroad photo shoot Sunday. It did well although those types of events aren't the most challenging AF wise. I hope to go through the images in the next couple of days.
  • axlroseaxlrose Posts: 38Member
    Can someone who owns Z8 and Z9 tell about lag of a camera? Lag - meaning the wake up from being idle? I work with two cameras and since sometimes other is "sleeping", pulling it to action takes time. At least with Z6II and Z7II is the problem. Don't know how it is with Z8 or Z9
    axlrose said:

Can someone who owns Z8 and Z9 tell about lag of a camera? Lag - meaning the wake up from being idle? I work with two cameras and since sometimes other is "sleeping", pulling it to action takes time. At least with Z6II and Z7II is the problem. Don't know how it is with Z8 or Z9

Z9 is instant on. It is the fastest boot up of the mirrorless cameras. You have to wait a wee bit for a A1 or R3 to be ready, the Z9 is more like a DSLR where it is just ready to go. Now there are one or two caveats to this. If you swap cards or lenses there is a slight delay to the first boot up. I just flick on my Z9, bring it to my eye, and it's ready.

here's a video to demonstrate. The Z8 has the same processor and sensor so expect nearly or equal results. If you want anything more detailed, just ask.
    And here is a wake from standby

I haven’t timed it or anything but it’s very noticeable faster to wake up than Z6.
    "Can someone who owns Z8 and Z9 tell about lag of a camera? Lag - meaning the wake up from being idle?" I own both. The Z8 is the same as the Z9. I would say less than a second "lag" time which is no lag at all. Never a problem. Think of the Z8 as 95%+ of a Z9 for only 72% of the price. It is a great "bang for the buck."
    Thanks! So I guess everything is fine with those two. It was a thing that hold me back from Z6 and Z7. Currently Z8 is the option. Although I realized it weight more than D780 :) Oh, those days when we thing going to mirrorless will be going to lighter body :)
    If anyone is looking for an L bracket the Smallrig one is really nice. Mine shipped on launch day from China and was delivered yesterday.

And here is a wake from standby

is the same no-delay thing also when camera is idle, not turned off?