PHOTO-A-DAY: April 2013

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @Amberlight2012

I think you question is about using the 105mm Micro Nikkor without flash and IMO the use of flash allows stopping down the lens to get some DOF. I did not like the effect at wider apertures...but I am still learning the lens.
    Msmoto, mod
  • @ TheGipper Super, refection and composition
    @ Proudgeek I new you could :-)) , for sure as they are in there own garden. I love this one.
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • gophillies74gophillies74 Posts: 4Member
    edited April 2013
    Untitled
    Post edited by gophillies74 on
  • JorPetJorPet Posts: 14Member
    I took this one at our community concert last week. Part way through the 2nd Movement of Dvorak's 9th Symphony "From the New World". Nothing spectacular, I just get a kick out of it becuase I am sitting 2nd chair bass in the picture. As close to a self-portrait as I do.

1303_WSCO_Spring1_0021

D800 | 70-200 @ 70 mm | f/4 | 1/100sec | ISO 3200
  • TidewatcherTidewatcher Posts: 41Member
    In keeping with spring flowers ,,DSC_0897
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @Proudgeek:

Now THAT was funny! =))
    Always learning.
  • CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    Wow, some great shots! I have to run off to work somy post is an hour early sorry...

Starling fight!
    Starling flight and fight
  • Dredden85Dredden85 Posts: 365Member
    More of Manama Souq, Bahrain. I could spend days in here shooting. Wonderful place for fragrances and watches too! I am hoping Msmoto fly's on out here for the F1 race. She would have a great time here in the Souq with the great street photography.

Larger: http://blg.nikonsrc.com/image/ls2pyw2qjWjsrWACu3fb72Bu0FLtEi1PBX9VvNpaVzOkN0hLNF89r-97ksGSfQw8_eAT_60jDC4/item.JPG?rot=1

D7000+18-200VRII, @ 18mm, MC, f3.5, 1/50, ISO 125, propped up against the display case.
    D7000, 18-200VRII | 50 1.8G | SB-900
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited April 2013
    Excellent captures Everyone!!
    @ Proudgeek, I've seen those Herons air themselves out like that while driving home from work but I never have my camera with me. Good catch.
    @ msmoto, awesome lighting, :D
    @ JorPet, nice photo, sharp too. Did you pre-focus your camera in the balcony and set up the intervalometer for that? Also, why isn't percussion (my good ole days) behind the strings on the left? Seems that would balance things out a bit (I know, not photo related...)
    Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• GitzoGitzo Posts: 174Member
    @ rschnaible......I saw that picture on your Flickr page the other day! Had to spend an hour reading up on the Transamerica Pyramid; I'm still confused though......that looks like the bottom part of it.......with the whole building reflected in it ? BTW........you sure have some amazing photography on Flickr ! Can't wait to get back to it !

@ Proudgeek........your heron looks like he thinks he's an anhinga ! They have to spend half of their time holding their wings out to dry because they have no oil gland like most diving birds do; come to think of it, I doubt if herons do either, but they don't dive, so they rarely get their flight feathers wet; maybe this one got in a rain shower ? It's funny though.....I have never seen a heron do it before.

@ Gipper........great shot of the white ibis !

@ Msmoto; That's very nice for a "middle of the night" action shot ! The D 4 handles ISO 4000 like it's nothing!
    edited April 2013
    @Rx4Photo, It was on continous autofocus but a selected focal point just to the right of the conductor. That seemed to lock in the best depth of field at that f-stop and aperture mode with a -2/3 stop EV. If you look closely, you can see the trigger in my right hand, that's why I'm holding the bow in my left hand, which I would normally never do. As for the timpani on the right, not really sure why we always have it on the right side, possibly because that is where it is in the room we practice in and so it is left there. In my previous orchestra experience it was nearly always on the side of the first violins. Just a side note, my son is the percussionist in the photo as well (sitting down in the picture).
    Post edited by JorPet on
    edited April 2013
    @Gitzo:

"@ Proudgeek........your heron looks like he thinks he's an anhinga ! They have to spend half of their time holding their wings out to dry because they have no oil gland like most diving birds do; come to think of it, I doubt if herons do either, but they don't dive, so they rarely get their flight feathers wet; maybe this one got in a rain shower ? It's funny though.....I have never seen a heron do it before."

That is a widely believed myth Gitzo. I know that because I watched a heron drop onto a fish where there was no opportunity for him to walk in. I was stunned to watch him flap back into the air again!
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • tganiatstganiats Posts: 131Member
    edited April 2013
    Another from the archive. WWII Memorial and Lincoln Memorial. I like the 'ghosts' at a memorial.

DSC_0924 - Version 2 - Version 2

D80 with 18-200 @ 95; 1.8sec @ f/7, ISO 160
    Post edited by tganiats on
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    edited April 2013
    one more Heron from me, from Pantanal, BR
    Heron in water
    Post edited by adamz on
    @ spraynpray.......you misunderstood me......it's anhinga's that have to dry their flight feathers before they can fly again; they're not long-legged wading birds like herons......they look more like a cormorant; they dive down and swim around underwater to catch fish, just like cormorants do; only when the come out of the water, they can't fly until they dry their flight feathers; cormorants (and ducks) don't have that problem because they keep their flight feathers oiled from a gland on their tail; mother nature forgot to provide the anhinga with an oil gland. I wasn't sure if herons had them, but I guess they do; I'm pretty sure the anhinga is the only aquatic bird that lacks one.

@ JorPet.......VERY clever ! I've never seen that done before ! BTW.....You mentioned you were playing Dvorak's 9th Symphony.......( one of my all time, most favorite pieces of music ever written! (IMHO) Many years ago, I had the great good fortune to not only hear, but also to SEE it performed in the U.S. (at a college) by the Czech Philharmonic; ( to this day, the only large symphony orchestra I've ever seen with NO female players ! )
    So nice to hear there's a musician "out there" taking pictures ! BTW......I'm very curious......who guarded the new D-800 while all this was happening ?
  • birdmanbirdman Posts: 115Member
    edited April 2013
    @Gitzo, Would you believe that the D800 was just sitting up there all by itself? Not even on a balcony, just the top row seats (where no one sits since the theater is large and the audience isn't). I kept an eye on it, but it isn't a problem. Anyone trying to take it would have to go past the sound/lights person and he knows it's my camera.

Dvorak's 9th is on my top three list. I'm trying to get them schedule Brahm's 1st for next year, another of my top three. I can always hope.

@birdman. I love that shot. I like how the hills make a nice layered look of changing shades up to the sky.
    Post edited by JorPet on
    @ tganiats.......That's a VERY well "thought-out", well executed shot ! Very nice job; (you really get around with your camera.....one day Chicago, next day D.C. !)

@ adamz.......that looks exactly like where I would expect to see a Great Blue Heron, Adam; ( and also where I would expect to see a great big anaconda come up out of that murky water and have the heron for lunch......
    be very careful where you step down there !)
    edited April 2013
    @Gitzo: Gotcha. We have that bird - or one like it in England. Over here it is called a Shag. We have Cormorants too - they both have to dry their wings.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • rschnaiblerschnaible Posts: 308Member
    edited April 2013
    @Gitzo Thank you for the kind comments. The TransAmerica building in San Francisco, modern version is the building that is many stories tall and is captured in the reflection of a nearby building window in my photostream. You can also see it as a snap without being reflected. The original TransAmerica building dates back to 1906 (or thereabouts) and was built after the 1906 quake. It was originally a bank and is used by the Scientologist today. The original TransAmerica building looks much like the "flatiron" buildings you see from other cities. The modern TransAmerica building is now across the street and towers above the old / original TransAmerica building. I probably confused you by using the two names interchangably old vs. new.
    Post edited by rschnaible on
  • mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
    first try at blending ..... not exactly perfect, bit of banding in the sky, but ..... this is from my window. prob be better when there are some clouds

stpancras
  • pippigurlpippigurl Posts: 241Member
    Swan-3

Nikon D800 | Nikkor 300 f/4 | 1/1250 f/8 | ISO 400 | TC 20EIII
  • rschnaiblerschnaible Posts: 308Member
    My share for today....

Cargo Leaving the San Francisco Bay
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,344Member
    a sparrow by a small lake

Ready for Spring 6b
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
This discussion has been closed.