PHOTO-A-DAY: April 2013

Comments

• blandbland Posts: 812Member
    @ SquamishPhoto and others, thanks on the AF advice. Turning that dang Track Locking off fixed my AF problems.

@Msmoto on the straight end shots coming out of the turns your advice on going down to 1/400 worked great. I was actually able to go on down to 1/250 and hold the shot. I'll post a picture tomorrow of that, again the turning off of the dang Track Locking made that possible. Not only did the focus work in bracket shooting, the pictures got better as I ripped them off.

This shot is a huge crop, he was going over 100mph and my D800 nailed it. Thanks again to all of you who made this possible with your advice!

FXRacing
  • NoXiNNoXiN Posts: 123Member
    another one from the beach

Paw Prints in the Tide
  • Scuderia1Scuderia1 Posts: 82Member
    edited April 2013
    @bland great pic!

I am a huge Formula 1 fan and will be attending a race in Austin, Tx this year (November). I was going to practice motion blur shots prior to flying down there for the Grand Prix. I will be shooting with a D800 and 300mm f/4 with TC1.4 attached.

I've read several theories on how to shoot with motion blur properly. But would appreciate any advice/camera settings you'd be willing to share. :)
    Post edited by Scuderia1 on
    Nikon D800 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8g | Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 300mm f/4 (+Nikon TC1.4x)
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    Spring arrives in the Pacific Northwest...
    Azalea-6747
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • PierrePierre Posts: 360Member
    @Adamz Beautiful image on page 1.
    @Benji2505 I am still trying to figure out how you did. Is it ink, food coloring?
    @MikeFrewer very cute, good capture.
    @Tidewatcher really like the white tree contrast with the bird, superb.
    @Gitzo impressive, where did you find this? You have a link to their site?
    @TheGipper a classic, beautiful.
    @gophillies74 very interesting.

Lots of superb work.

_0043360
  • PierrePierre Posts: 360Member
    @msmoto I now understand why your suggestion to post a flickr larger image using the 640 is the best way for this site, no more distortion and large image can be reached.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    What a fantastic way to start April. I hope I get a chance to go shooting soon so I can make some contribution. That you all for your sharing your great work. :D
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • Scott_DScott_D Posts: 40Member

Snow Trillium barely peaks out, in what has to be the most drawn-out end to winter around here in decades. The snow trillium has been up but not opening buds for three weeks!

Nikon D90, Micro-Nikkor 60mm AF; f/11, 1/60 sec, slightly cropped, post-processed in Aperture.
    See my photoblog at Photomiser.com
  • starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    ceaser salad
    D800, 50mm 1.8G @ f2.8, ISO 1000
    I really like cesear salad, and here it was made fairly well.
  • GitzoGitzo Posts: 174Member
    Moving right along here.........we have a log cabin. A couple of things about this log cabin.......it was originally built by my friend, Seeba Case's Great, Great, Great Grandfather about 20 miles from here.......in 1822. The Case family has been here ever since. The cabin was disassembled and moved to Bridgeton about 15 years ago, the new chimney was laid up, and the porches were added. If you look close, one of the stones in the chimney is almost exactly the same shape as the State of Indiana. The cabin is furnished with hand made wooden furniture, and has a huge big fireplace; It's used every year during the annual Covered Bridge Festival, as is the new pole barn next to it.

Another thing the cabin was used for recently; On December 23, 2012, Seeba Cases's good friend Gitzo, and his beloved sweetheart, "Miss Arlie" were joined together in marriage; Gitzo's reasoning was, "If we do it in a small place, we won't have to worry about inviting a big crowd". ( It worked like a charm ! )
    ( BTW........December 23 was also Gitzo's 80th birthday )

Case's Log Cabin 1822
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2013
    Because the model is so beautiful, one more from the Heron Photosession.
    This is my favorite.

The start pose.
    Heron-1947.jpg
    D600, 1/800 at F/4, ISO 400, 200mm
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • @ Pippigurl Fine "swan" shot, crystal clear. Timing is super. It is not easy to get this one right.
    @ Dissent So cute, Nice.
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    edited April 2013
    unfortunately not an anaconda, but that one was very close to this heron
    Eye of the... wally
    Post edited by adamz on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited April 2013
    @bland

We all know...practice makes perfect.... track lock off is OK as long as there are no obstacles such as telephone poles in the view during the tracking time frame...or wire fences...

I have mine set at normal (I think) and have no problems on the D4.

Your shots are great, Bland.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
    nice pictures everyone

@pierre that subject is a nice color against the blue sky
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Another bird "pose." I'd like to say I caught this one perfectly as it flew by, but he was hovering on a headwind just a few feet from me.
    _DSC2505
    D90 | 70-200 | 70mm | f/5.6 | 1/800s | ISO 400
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,344Member
    @ Gitzo - Double congrats, man! :D
    Pretty place. Pretty shot.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • TheGipperTheGipper Posts: 110Member
    Serve And Protect

Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8; 1/40 sec, F/4, ISO 200
  • itsnotmeyouknowitsnotmeyouknow Posts: 481Member
    One from the Lake District from a few years ago:

Pentax 645D FA 55 - 110 at 371 sec ƒ/22 ISO 100 110 mm

Twilight-on-windermere
  • CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    Sorry, I waited all winter for my Ospreys to return :)
    I was going to post a different one, but here is my bird pose for the day..
    Osprey in the wind
  • mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
    itsnotmeyouknow, thats good, did you use any filters ? its good processing too

coastalcon, ty! now i know what an osprey looks like
  • GitzoGitzo Posts: 174Member
    @ pippigurl......Beautiful shot of the swan!

@ rschnaible.......I haven't seen a shot of the GGB from that vantage point before; beautiful
  • itsnotmeyouknowitsnotmeyouknow Posts: 481Member
    itsnotmeyouknow, thats good, did you use any filters ? its good processing too

coastalcon, ty! now i know what an osprey looks like
    Yes, used a Kenko ND 400. The Kenko filters are good as I found it didn't leave a colour cast. Have just sent that one off to be printed and mounted as it's one of my favourites.

This discussion has been closed.