PHOTO-A-DAY: April 2013

Comments

• PostmanPostman Posts: 59Member
    @itsnotmeyouknow

Fantastic shot of the Lakes, assume Windermere looking over to the Langdale Pikes?

Here is one more from my Iceland trip, the northern lights over the Vatnajokull icecap.

Vatnajokull Aurora
  • Witty_NicknameWitty_Nickname Posts: 193Member
    Light Trails on Bow Trail

D800 - Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 @ f/10 and 66mm
    18 second exposure.
  • itsnotmeyouknowitsnotmeyouknow Posts: 481Member
    @itsnotmeyouknow

Fantastic shot of the Lakes, assume Windermere looking over to the Langdale Pikes?

Here is one more from my Iceland trip, the northern lights over the Vatnajokull icecap.

Vatnajokull Aurora
    Indeed, from Jenkin's Field at Waterhead.

I've been to Iceland twice - missed the Northern lights though.

• GitzoGitzo Posts: 174Member
    edited April 2013
    For all of the fancy car aficionados, here's some "eye candy" for you! I didn't take the picture but it looks so
    slick, I thought you might enjoy seeing it.

1939 Delahaye 165 Figoni et Falaschi Cabriolet
    1939 Delahaye 165 Figoni et Falaschi Cabriolet
    Post edited by Gitzo on
  • Dredden85Dredden85 Posts: 365Member
    @Gitzo- Msmoto, eat your heart out! What a beautiful car.
    @Coastalconn- What a stunning shot! Simply a brilliant shot!
    D7000, 18-200VRII | 50 1.8G | SB-900
  • Dredden85Dredden85 Posts: 365Member
    edited April 2013
    My bird for the day :)
    The Bahrainie Ruby Throated Strutting Pigeon. I have no idea what the actual name is. :D

30% Crop
    Larger: http://blg.nikonsrc.com/image/ls2pyw2qjWjsrWACu3fb72Bu0FLtEi1PBX9VvNpaVzND5fVQ2ifAx-97ksGSfQw8_eAT_60jDC4/item.JPG?rot=1

D7000+N18-200 @ 200mm, f5.6, 1/640, ISO 100, CPL, Handheld.
    Post edited by Dredden85 on
    D7000, 18-200VRII | 50 1.8G | SB-900
  • ErikssonRobinErikssonRobin Posts: 28Member
    Robin Eriksson
    Nikon D810 • Nikkor 24mm 1.4G • Nikkor 105 2.8 Macro • SB-700 • Gitzo 5562 LTS
  • pippigurlpippigurl Posts: 241Member
    @adamz:As simple as it seems...that is a Black Collared Hawk....
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    for this shot I used one SB900 from the top to get the blue shadow onto the lemon

Studio Session-478
  • aviacharaviachar Posts: 48Member
    edited April 2013
    @proudgeek
    aviachar, that looks awesome. Were you riding on pavement or dirt? One last geese shot from the other day, this one landing instead of taking off.
    The initial 10 or 15 kms was on asphalt the rest of the 40-50 kms was on dirt. All of the biking was downhill so it was fun!

Pfieffer State beach, Big Sur, California

Pfeiffer State beach

Post edited by aviachar on
    @ Adamz........Not sure, but I think maybe it's a rare white headed, ring-neck Brazilian fish eagle ? 8-}
    @ ErikssonRobin.......Kinda hard to tell....but the snake "on the bottom" (head nearest camera), I'm pretty sure is a king snake; and I think the one on top is a common water snake; assuming I'm correct. I can tell you this; there will soon be.........only ONE snake; ( a very fat king snake! )
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,341Member
    Ready for Spring 4
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • pippigurlpippigurl Posts: 241Member
    NO exotic animals...no far away places...but to these two little boys on spring break a bag of croutons turned into an adventure!
    Croutons

Nikon D800 | Nikkor 300 f/4 | 1/800 f/14 | ISO 400
  • SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    D800 • 200mm f2 @ f2.2 • 1/160 • ISO 160
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
  • mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
    edited April 2013
    just an opinion ..... dont think me rude

i like this picture squamish, the face is very strong, especially with the hair color, and she has a good expression that makes the image curious.

however, i am not so keen on the lower half. her chest feels like a blank area, then below that, the thing on her shirt, is it hair? is a little distracting.

can we see a tighter crop ? .... i mean, her face is so good, that i dont feel the image requires the lower half ... if that makes sense
    Post edited by mikep on
  • PierrePierre Posts: 360Member
    edited April 2013
    @ Pierre.......Do you have any idea what they used to make in that building ? ( What ever it was sure leaked out a lot and got the building really funky....)
    Unused grain silos in old port of Montreal, believe it or not, there is a big lobbying from some that wants to keep this historical piece of sh....t. Kind of interesting but very ugly still.

@itsnotmeyouknow love the mood on this, were you laying down? Brrr feel cold and wet.
    @Postman, @Coastalconn, @proudgeek jus wow...
    @Benji2505 these are growing on me...

_0043365

Post edited by Pierre on
  • SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    just an opinion ..... dont think me rude

i like this picture squamish, the face is very strong, especially with the hair color, and she has a good expression that makes the image curious.

however, i am not so keen on the lower half. her chest feels like a blank area, then below that, the thing on her shirt, is it hair? is a little distracting.

can we see a tighter crop ? .... i mean, her face is so good, that i dont feel the image requires the lower half ... if that makes sense
    I don't think its rude at all. I don't find it distracting as I feel that the eyes of the model lead the viewer, but more importantly to me I wanted the crop to include the hand gripping the fence. If I did what you're suggesting I would lose that part of the photo.
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,341Member
    edited April 2013
    February flowers stack 1

Working on my macro technique. This is a 12 shot stack, handheld, from Zerene Stacker, using a 70-300 VR lens with a Raynox DCR-150 in front. Technique still needs work all the way around, but not bad IMHO for an early attempt.

yeah, this is a couple hours early . . .
    Post edited by dissent on
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
    @ Dredden.......wow! That Bahrainie Ruby-Throated Strutting Pigeon looks almost exactly like our Terre Haute Strutting Pigeons !

@ Gipper; Let me guess....A rare North American Snow Cheetah ? ( absolutely best cheetah portrait ever, BTW! )

@ Aviachar......Been there, seen that..........but about 1:00 PM, and it didn't look that good ! (perfect angle & timing, BTW)

@ Pippigurl.......I have fed those laughing gulls at least 200 loaves of bread, and so far I have never achieved that nice of a shot ! (And wasted a lot of Fuji film trying!)

@ dissent....it's a great macro shot.......for hand held! But WHY hand held ? People doing macro focus, lock mirrors up, and trip shutter from 10 feet away with wireless remote, all to avoid camera motion; hand held macro.......high speed EF with 1/20,000 flash duration !
    edited April 2013
    I have avoided putting this one up until I could retrieve my software out of my dead iMac and edit out the annoying text that I thought was so clever when I added it; just can't seem to "get around" to getting the Mac's together. BTW......these things may look "cute", and that shot took about 5 years to "catch"......but that's still one of the very few animals on this earth that I would shoot if I had a chance. ( my little rat terrier heads for a romp in the woods every time he thinks I'm not looking.........and these varmints are death to dogs and cats.)

Coyote_Howling

Nikon F-5, ED 80-200 AF 1:2.8 D, scanned from Fujichrome
    Post edited by Gitzo on
  • ErikssonRobinErikssonRobin Posts: 28Member
    @ ErikssonRobin.......Kinda hard to tell....but the snake "on the bottom" (head nearest camera), I'm pretty sure is a king snake; and I think the one on top is a common water snake; assuming I'm correct. I can tell you this; there will soon be.........only ONE snake; ( a very fat king snake! )
    Actually they all are "Vipera Berus" or commonly known as "European Adder/Viper" but in Swedish we just say "Huggorm". It could very well be the same species you are talking about but with another word for it. There are loads of them coming out after the winter.

Robin Eriksson
    Nikon D810 • Nikkor 24mm 1.4G • Nikkor 105 2.8 Macro • SB-700 • Gitzo 5562 LTS
This discussion has been closed.