D5 -- What will it take to make you upgrade from a D3s, D4, or D4s to a D5?

rmprmp Posts: 586Member
edited January 2016 in D3/D4/D5
like any other leading-acceptor, I look forward to the next new toy. But, the rumored specs of the supposedly upcoming D5, just leave me cold. So, I began wondering what would it take to make me upgrade, and I do not know the answer. What would it take to make you upgrade from a D3s, D4 or D4s?
Post edited by spraynpray on
Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.

Comments

• SnapyourawSnapyouraw Posts: 36Member
    Hmm, well, we should see what they bring new to D5 but I do not expect much !
    I personally will buy it anyway just to add it to my addiction as I like to connect it to the new 300mm f4 ph.
    If you force yourself to go outside, something wonderful always happens!
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    What would it take for me to upgrade to a D5.
    ++Good specifications, excellent IQ, large buffer for BIF photography
    ++Fit a need in my tool bag
    ++The resources (money) to buy a D5

From my perspective not worried about the first point. Do I need a D5, probably not. Would I want one, of course. Finally the resources. Now that is an issue. Don't see a D5 in my future.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited February 2015
    What would it take to make you upgrade from a D3s, D4 or D4s?
    The Emperor's new Vapor DSLR
    costs less than a D3400

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Each D_ model number increase should be a significant improvement over the previous D_ number. Thus, I would expect a D5 to offer a lot more then what has been listed as rumored specs so far. Minor improved upgrades are marketed as D_s or D_x models. When a D5 is announced it will have some great things sufficient to make most D4 users want one. Because I have not been shooting sports lately, I don't even want a D4 and would rather have a D750 or a D810.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    If it were mirrorless....
    Msmoto, mod
    Just might be . . . . .
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    54 megapixels, but I would probably prefer a D820 with 54 megapixels.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    One Solid Florida Lottery win !!
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• HipShotHipShot Posts: 528Member
    One Solid Florida Lottery win !!
    Yes, that.

I just recently bought a used D3S with an acceptably low shutter count at a decent price. The seller had just bought a D4S. I'm content at this location behind the technology curve.
    The difference between images from a D3s, D4, D4s, D5 is about 99% due to the person behind the camera. The other 1 % is the camera. I will pass on an update if the D5 has 20 MP, better focusing and processor as none of this will actually improve my abilities to any great extent....

However, the OP may want to get a D5 and sell the used camera he currently owns to some deserving soul......LOL :))
    Msmoto, mod
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    I was hoping for at least 24MP with close to the D4s fps speed and same or better high ISO/low light performance. Having shot with 36MP cameras for the last 3 years and loving the big print and tight crop potential, I may have a hard time dropping back to 20MP. Rather than jumping for the rumored D5, I think I will probably wait for awhile to: 1) See if the camera is problem free (D800, D810, D750, D600 all had problems); 2) Evaluate objective testing of the camera; 3) Evaluate what else may be in the pipeline at that juncture; and 4) Determine if there is any advantage for selling or shelving one of my Nikon bodies for another one. If the rumored D5 is simply moving from a 16MP sensor to a 20MP sensor I probably won't be persuaded.
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    @Beso - agree if the D5 was just moving from 16MP to 20MP sensor, it's not worth moving up.

But it's not a D4T or what ever they chose it's a D5. To me that implies lots of changes. That also helps drive up the price which I expect will be more than the D4S.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    If you read the comments, check out what user Thom Hogan has to say.. no way to prove it's the real guy, but it seems likely. Anyway, he seems pretty sure there'll be a big surprise coming with a D5.

If you have the cash to throw at Nikon, read the rumored specs closely. I don't think anyone on the D4 upgrade front will care much whether the new sensor is 20MP or 24MP, this is not a D4X rumor. But look at what else is on the list: 170+ AF fields screams for some new tech or new approach.

It will be interesting to see what (if at all) Nikon has up its sleeve. However, for most of us foot soldiers in the amateur section here, it'll most likely be completely irrelevant. ;-)
    "If you have the cash to throw at Nikon"....I love this..... along with "it'll most likely be completely irrelevant." :))

True for me!.... the latter that is...
    Msmoto, mod
    If you read the comments, check out what user Thom Hogan has to say.. no way to prove it's the real guy, but it seems likely. Anyway, he seems pretty sure there'll be a big surprise coming with a D5.

If you have the cash to throw at Nikon, read the rumored specs closely. I don't think anyone on the D4 upgrade front will care much whether the new sensor is 20MP or 24MP, this is not a D4X rumor. But look at what else is on the list: 170+ AF fields screams for some new tech or new approach.

It will be interesting to see what (if at all) Nikon has up its sleeve. However, for most of us foot soldiers in the amateur section here, it'll most likely be completely irrelevant. ;-)
    w

I was wondering about that. If it means focus points across the whole FX frame, then it will be worth an upgrade to a lot of people.
    170+ AF points could suggest a mirrorless design with focusing being accomplished on the sensor.
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    edited February 2015
    Admin, is it possible this leak was purposeful to keep Nikonians in the camp (content) with the Canon 5Ds announcement?
    Post edited by autofocus on
    170+ AF points could suggest a mirrorless design with focusing being accomplished on the sensor.
    I doubt they would hobble the model where focus counts the most with an inferior focus system.
  • danhowldanhowl Posts: 36Member
    I am still struggling to understand why they have left D3X users in the weeds waiting for a new pro-level studio camera. I got the D3X when it was brand new and it was the only thing in it's class for quite a while. And although I have a D800, it is not the same build quality that I expect from a top-level professional camera from Nikon. I do not understand why they would force catalog/advertising photographers to go backwards in terms of file size to replace a 6-7 yr old camera. The D4S was certainly not aimed at studio photographers.

I have to say that 90% of my motivation for looking at this site is to catch word on an update/replacement for my now-aging D3X. It ain't gonna last forever...
    D3X, D800, 17-35, 28-70, Zeiss 55mm OTUS, 85mm Zeiss CF.2, 85mm PCE, 70-200 VRII, 105DC
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Admin, is it possible this leak was purposeful to keep Nikonians in the camp (content) with the Canon 5Ds announcement?
    Totally different target users. The 5D targets the D810 level. The 1DX update would challenge the D4s/D5.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    @PB_PM I understand that. No matter which camp you are in D8xx or Dx you see Canon moving forward with a noteworthy advance. Is the leak of the D5 to reassure Nikon shooters there are even bigger Nikon advancements on the way. Maybe not, the timing may be coincidental. After reading all the blog comments I realized the Dx series is due for an update this year. Also, Thom Hoagn seems somewhat excited about it.
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    I noticed the 170+ focus points as well. To the right people this would be invaluable but for many wouldn't be that big of a deal. If the dynamic range and ISO is as good or better than the D4s I could see people upgrading.

Nikon and Canon have been playing "tag" for a while in the FX department.
    Before Sept 2008, most FX digital cameras were 12 MP and lower, I did not list minor upgrades such as the D4s if it used the same sensor as the D4.

Canon 5D mk2, 21 MP, Sept 2008
    Nikon D3x, 24 MP, Dec 2008 (Pro body)
    Canon 1D Mark IV, 16 MP, Oct 2009 (Pro body)
    Nikon D4, 16 MP, Jan 2012 (Pro Body)
    Nikon D800, 36 MP, Feb 2012
    Canon 1D Mark V,18 MP, March 2012 (Pro body)
    Canon 5Ds, 50 MP ?, waiting announcement
    Nikon 5D, ??? MP, just a dream

Since 2008 Canon has not had a camera with more MP available, it seems shortly this will not be the case (of course the Nikon MP master in 2008 was ultra expensive so until the D800 came most could not enjoy more than 12 MP). If the D5 gets 20-24 MP, that beats Canons 1D Mark V but notice that camera is probably due for an upgrade as well. In the future I see upgrades for ISO, dynamic range and FPS being more important than MP in most cases. I think you can already see that trend in the above "flow chart" for Pro cameras. I do wonder if Nikon sent a questionnaire to the D4(s) users to see what they would really like in an upgrade or just plan to release something they think pro shooters want.
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    My path has been a D70 to a D700.... I would want better high ISO performance than the D4s @ 36mp and 15fps with 51af points, but the more accurate cross type ones... with the ability to focus lock at F/12.
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • sleipnirsleipnir Posts: 7Member
    I agree with msmoto about the difference between d3s to d4s. Except maybe in the video department.

The new 300 pf looks extremely appealing... wonder how it truly compares to the 300 2.8 vr2 before I jump the gun. Size and weight are not a factor for me.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I doubt they would hobble the model where focus counts the most with an inferior focus system.
    Don't think hobble, think hybrid. Is it a coincidence that the nikon 1 also has 171 focus points? I don't think so...