is the D7000 worth buying?

narmi47narmi47 Posts: 5Member
edited December 2012 in D90/D7x00
as no official announcement about the replacement to the  D7000, 
should i take the plunge and purchace the D7000 or wait for the rumored replacement?

Post edited by Msmoto on

Comments

• CorrelliCorrelli Posts: 135Member
    You need to ask yourself: is there anything important missing in the D7000 (I mean for your shooting requirements)? For all I heard it is a fantastic camera and if you get one now you can start right away. You never know how long it will be until you can really get your hands on the replacement and if everything works fine from the start (see focus issue with D800 and dust/oil with the D600).
  • SkintBritSkintBrit Posts: 79Member
    You need to ask yourself: is there anything important missing in the D7000 (I mean for your shooting requirements)? For all I heard it is a fantastic camera and if you get one now you can start right away. You never know how long it will be until you can really get your hands on the replacement and if everything works fine from the start (see focus issue with D800 and dust/oil with the D600).

I agree, however if I had a camera I was happy to keep using at the moment, and in no particular rush to buy, I would hold back as I would be surprised if the 7000's replacement will be much longer.
    D3s's D700 F100 / Trinity 2.8 Zooms & 1.4 Primes / 105 micro. SB900s with Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 / Mini TT1s. Camranger remote control system.
  • narmi47narmi47 Posts: 5Member
    at the moment, i am without a camera, it is being replaced by the retailer due to it being faulty, 

• InTheMistInTheMist Posts: 7Member
    My gut feeling is, wait - or you'll be disappointed in a short time.

However, the D7000 is still an amazing camera that could use a bump in native ISO.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    If it was me and I knew I wanted a D7000 like camera right now...I would buy a used D5100 or something to hold you over until the replacement comes out.  I can't imagine it is going to be too much longer.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    Even if you want a D7000, I might try to wait a couple months for a DX announcement. After the announcement, D7000 will drop in price. 

That said...

Canadian retailers are already slashing D7000 price if you want to make the move now. Camera Store (which I think sponsors NR) is showing $780 with various other retailers at photoprice(dot)ca showing $740-$800. (Canadian and US dollars virtually equal.)
  • slinky2000slinky2000 Posts: 1Member
    I just got a d7000 last week and I love it. I upgraded from a d50 so it's a massive jump in quality etc. I was waiting for a replacement but at the price it's at now I couldn't resist. It's almost half the launch price at the moment so it's a bargin. If the replacement gets announced I'm sure it will above the launch price of the d7000 and I just couldn't justify paying that.

For me it was worth buying.
  • snypesnype Posts: 1Member
    I'm guessing that the D7000 replacement will cost at least as much as the D7000 MSRP of $1200 or possibly (probably) even more. Currently you can buy a 7000 for $896.95 at the "popular" camera store. Is it worth the price difference for you to wait? Only you can make that decision. I've had my 7000 for about 4 months now and find that it has everything I need and then some. I'm definitely not looking for any more megapixels - 16 is plenty for me. Most likely the replacement will have a higher MP sensor. Image quality is about the best you'll get currently from any APS-C sensor. Either way I hope they announce a new body soon so that you'll be able to make an informed decision instead of waiting for something that may not even materialize. I'm sure no matter what your decision, you'll make out just fine. Good luck!
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    I agree with what snype said, but I would just get the D7000 now. I was dreaming about getting a D600 to replace my D7000, then someone I work with got one and let me use it. I'm glad I realized the D7000 is everything I need, and at $300 less than I paid for it two years ago, I wouldn't wait. But I don't know your situation very well, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
  • ChicagrafoChicagrafo Posts: 1Member
    I don't think it is a good idea to buy the D7000 nowadays.
    Remember that the D7000 has exactly the same sensor as the D5100; since the D5200 was introduced the price of the D5100 dropped a lot.  Perhaps due to the high resolution of the D5200 it does not quite match the image quality of the D5100, unless you have studio lighting.  Since the D5100/D7000 sensors will still give you the best image quality in DX, I would abstain from buying a weather sealed D7000, buy a D5100 with its awesome vari-angle screen instead and perhaps trade in the D5100 to buy the replacement of D7000 when it is available.
    Also, I am not sure Nikon will release much better DX sensors to the D5100/D7000, the D5200 is not clearly superior, and according to DxOMark, objectively the Nikon 1 V2 is actually worse than the Nikon 1 V1, a very bad precedent.
    In summary, you don't have to speculate about the D5100; it is a great image quality camera and very cheap, has almost all the goodies of the D7000 (except weather sealing, the user setting button, better autofocus grid), and for what it lacks, compared to the D7000, it is much cheaper, and has variangle.
  • cbgcbg Posts: 127Member

@Chicagrafo - you missed one major differnce between the D5100 and the D7000.  The D7000 has a focus motor in the body which allow you to use older, non-AF-S lenses.  That is a major deal to a lot of folks.  Also, the variangle screen is only usefull if you use liveview, which a lot of us don't use.

• NiknikNiknik Posts: 13Member
    I very much doubt that the D7000-replacement will incorporate much more than the 24MP sensor from the D5200/D3200, and a 40% higher purchase price. Is that really worth holding out for? 

D7000 vrs D5100/D5200: the D7000 and D300s both have internal focus motors, whereas the 5000 series does not. That means you can autofocus with older Nikon lenses and third party lenses (e.g. the excellent Tokina 11-16mm), which will save you a lot of money if you intend to start accumulating them. Also D7000 supports CLS using the pop-up flash as commander. If either of these factors are important (they were to me), D7000 is the way to go. 
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    The guys above say most of it really, but:

Well, I have the D7000 and what was good high ISO performance at the time has now, in the face of the D4, D800, D600, D5200 and D3200 been demoted to <meh> status!  That's life, but you have to remember that the D7000's performance doesn't diminish when the D7200 comes out.  My strong advice is take advantage of the RIPPING deals that are around at the moment.  I can't see it going down much more.

For me, I always try to shoot at the lowest ISO possible and I really mean try - it is fairly rare for me to go to ISO 400 let alone faster - so a newer better ISO performing camera doesn't appeal.

You have not told us what kind of photography you do?  At the end of the day, that is the single most important question!  If you do any kind of high speed action photography (sport or wildlife), wait for the replacement.  If it is landscapes and portraits, get the D7000.
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited December 2012

If you want somthing signigficantly better than the D7000 then by a D800 somthing betwwen the two get the D600  what will happend next year

Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Perhaps you should take a drop more water with that seven? :-))
    Always learning.
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    edited December 2012

I love mine. I may have out grown its minor details but overall it still is a fantastic solid camera for the price. The low light can be sketchy tho 2500 is always good but sometimes it goes up to 6400 with little to almost no noise other times 2500 is the limit for me...  

The build is solid. Sure it is not a D4 but it will survive a handful of drops and a splash or 2. The only other shortcoming I can find on it aside of size is the 3D tracking on the AF is not as good as a D300s or any higher nikon...

Last nights shooting conditions were horribly dark and I still got good pics (D7000 14-24mm f/2.8 wide open Iso 2500 Jpg too (I ran low on memory))

Sry about the size I took it directly from the fbook (Now that I got my flickr back I will start using it when I get the time)
    Post edited by kyoshinikon on
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited December 2012
    Perhaps you should take a drop more water with that seven? :-))

I have tried to edit the typos, but it wont let me, have more than one attempt
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • rschnaiblerschnaible Posts: 308Member
    The guys above say most of it really, but:

Well, I have the D7000 and what was good high ISO performance at the time has now, in the face of the D4, D800, D600, D5200 and D3200 been demoted to <meh> status!  That's life, but you have to remember that the D7000's performance doesn't diminish when the D7200 comes out.  My strong advice is take advantage of the RIPPING deals that are around at the moment.  I can't see it going down much more.

For me, I always try to shoot at the lowest ISO possible and I really mean try - it is fairly rare for me to go to ISO 400 let alone faster - so a newer better ISO performing camera doesn't appeal.

You have not told us what kind of photography you do?  At the end of the day, that is the single most important question!  If you do any kind of high speed action photography (sport or wildlife), wait for the replacement.  If it is landscapes and portraits, get the D7000.
    +1... I love my D7000 and even at the time I determine to upgrade, this camera is not one I would part with..
  • fuzzymucusfuzzymucus Posts: 4Member
    I'm sitting on my hands waiting for the "D7100" or whatever the bloody hell it will be called. It will be a jump in price, but I've waited this long to upgrade (still using a D40) so I may as well wait longer and get the newest hardware. I'm hoping that Nikon will somehow integrate wifi after seeing what Canon is doing... though that's hoping for a lot.

Either way, if I wait and don't like what I see, I can jump on the D7000 inevitable price drop.
  • NeopulseNeopulse Posts: 4Member
       Well I think the D7000 is an amazing camera. I wish I knew more about it before I got my first beginners DSLR D60, D5000 and borrowed D700. It makes a huge difference the sense of durability when holding it. The D7000 I came across it last year at a mom and pops camera shop in Miami and kind of regretted not owning it before when I had the chance. I think the deals now are worth it. Was gonna get my sibling this past xmas the D7000 with the 18-105 kit that's going for a little over $1100 at the moment and later get her the 70-300mm VR that would compliment the 105mm-450mm range or a 80-200 ED IF. Apparently in the end she wanted an unlocked iPhone 5  instead -.- broke my heart.
    D800 with Meike MB-D12 (Robbed)
    AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G (Robbed)
    AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II (Robbed)
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    If you have a camera right now then wait for something new.  Ironically the same can always be said for cell phones though; its just the coolness factor of having the newest something that will make you feel better after you drop a ton of cash or card....  nobody feels amazing after buying the iPhone 4S when the iPhone 5 is out.

I recently bought a D7000 given the great prices and thus far its been a great camera.  I was starting fresh so had the option to choose anything (Canon, Sony, etc.) and ultimately went with Nikon and the D7000.  As my first DSLR its pretty awesome.  I recently went to visit someone for a holiday dinner and after seeing the photos that came out of my camera, they asked me to shoot their holiday family portrait!  Mind you they had tried with a Canon full frame with an L series glass on a tripod and couldn't get anywhere near as nice photos like my D7000 gave.  The D7000 is really versatile and I normally shoot RAW in one SD card with JPEG into the other SD card.  I have several lenses, but my favorite lens right now is a Sigma 85 1.4, which gives incredible bokeh on this camera.  Shoot people about 3 feet away and watch the background completely blur.

What I miss by buying the D7000 is that Canon appears to have a sale a minute.  I mean Jesus they practically gave away their new T6 recently at 500 bucks, and Amazon and other Photo stores appear to have perpetual lens sales on L series glass. It kinda sucks that Nikon is not nearly as generous in this area....maybe if they would spend less on Aston K's commercials and just give us some real price competition Nikon would not be losing as much market share as they currently are.  All in all its been an awesome camera.  Taught me a lot about aperture, shutter speed, exposure.  And after using the dials to adjust these things - while looking through the viewfinder at my subject - I cannot imagine any other way to do it.  It seems ludacris that Canon would make you use an LCD to adjust some of these things.  

Hope this opinion helped someone!!!!
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    edited December 2012
    They had a canon Dslr
    fullframe with L Lenses
    and it really sucked!
    --------------
    """"""

I find the formatting of the above comment a tad wonky. Good user experience story tho :D
    Post edited by kyoshinikon on
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Any camera would suck if the person behind it doesn't know what they are doing. Like people with D3s's that use them in P mode.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Any camera would suck if the person behind it doesn't know what they are doing. Like people with D3s's that use them in P mode.
    +1

This is why I bought the D4 to use in P mode. The D3s just didn't cut it. I could use a few more megapixels, though.
    Post edited by jonnyapple on
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    [-X That is totally unacceptable!!!! :))
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.