NIKON...MIRROR LESS NOW WITH FIRMWARE UPDATE

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Hiker said:

I upgraded the firmware on my D3300. BAM!!! I had to send the camera in for focusing issues. Now the firmware for the D7200 has issues, which I have NOT upgraded and have no plan to. The A9 is supposed to be an amazing camera. But the A7iii is supposed to be superior?? The only difference, other than $2500. price is the 20 fps. I'm looking forward to see what Nikon offers. If they come up with nothing than it's night night. I'm really surprised that the die hard Nikon lovers don't have much of an open mind. It's almost like Sony has invaded their precious space.

Now now. Just because we have not converted to Sony does not mean that we are closed minded.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Hiker said:

I'm really surprised that the die hard Nikon lovers don't have much of an open mind. It's almost like Sony has invaded their precious space.

This is a Nikon users forum, what did you expect, it to be full of Sony fanboys? ;)

Personally I don’t care much for Sony products, they have always proven to be overhyped and overpriced compared to what you actually get. In the old days my cheaper Panasonic stuff always trounced the more expensive and overhyped Sony Walkman, discman etc. I’ve also found that true of Sony cameras that I’ve bought. Panasonic, Canon and Nikon were just better buys for the $. When it comes to video, Sony has typically been top notch, no doubt about it. Still imaging was always behind the competition, in terms of RAW files. Might not be the case anymore, but I still find Sony stuff overrated. The UI also leaves much to be desired, even compared to Canon and Nikon, and that’s not saying much since they are bad too.

Sometimes I get the feeling that you are a Sony camera salesperson based on how much you talk about that brand, and wedge it into every thread you enter.

If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    Af is one area where I think Nikon and Canon can do a really good job with their mirrorless cameras. I imagine the Nikon mirrorless will have af as good as the D5 but with less need for adjustment, since phase detect pixels are moved to the sensor and there is no mirror that can contribute to the errors. Sony and Fujifilm are getting better all the time but Nikon and Canon has a great know-how when it comes to af.
  • HikerHiker Posts: 197Member

Hiker said:

I upgraded the firmware on my D3300. BAM!!! I had to send the camera in for focusing issues. Now the firmware for the D7200 has issues, which I have NOT upgraded and have no plan to. The A9 is supposed to be an amazing camera. But the A7iii is supposed to be superior?? The only difference, other than $2500. price is the 20 fps. I'm looking forward to see what Nikon offers. If they come up with nothing than it's night night. I'm really surprised that the die hard Nikon lovers don't have much of an open mind. It's almost like Sony has invaded their precious space.

Now now. Just because we have not converted to Sony does not mean that we are closed minded.
    LOL...I've been reading the posts on DP Review and on the Rumor main page. Entertaining to say the least!
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    And is that not the title of this thread West end...Nikon have failed to give us anything mirror less to judge them by ? We wait.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    edited April 2018
    Well I’ll admit to being a bit of a Sony fanboy when it comes to audio gear. I used to have a collection of top of the line Sony ES equipment, including the 130 pound each SS-M9 speakers. I sold most of it but still have some amps and their last TOTL CD-only player.

Untitled
    Post edited by mhedges on
    mhedges said:

Well I’ll admit to being a bit of a Sony fanboy when it comes to audio gear. I used to have a collection of top of the line Sony ES equipment, including the 130 pound each SS-M9 speakers. I sold most of it but still have some amps and their last TOTL CD-only player.

You liked Sony "audio-gear"? I thought that was the poster child of everything that was wrong with Japanese audio. Well....the junior posterchild. JVC was the senior poster child. And, I must concede that some of their audiophile ventures showed promise.

However, besides my Nakamichi Dragon tape deck, I never touched anything Japanese.

And then I lost my hearing in my left ear, so I don't bother with audio any more.
    edited April 2018

mhedges said:

You liked Sony "audio-gear"? I thought that was the poster child of everything that was wrong with Japanese audio. Well....the junior posterchild. JVC was the senior poster child. And, I must concede that some of their audiophile ventures showed promise.

However, besides my Nakamichi Dragon tape deck, I never touched anything Japanese.

And then I lost my hearing in my left ear, so I don't bother with audio any more.
    The SONY ES stuff was high end. Very nice. They made CD players that weighed 50 pounds and had power supplies sufficient for a small amplifier.

They also made some “R” (for Reference) series gear that could go up against Levinson and Krell. But its very hard to find and of course $$$$.
    Post edited by mhedges on
    mhedges said:

mhedges said:

The SONY ES stuff was high end. Very nice. They made CD players that weighed 50 pounds and had power supplies sufficient for a small amplifier.

They also made some “R” (for Reference) series gear that could go up against Levinson and Krell. But its very hard to find and of course $$$$.
    I think that you were right. My impressions of Sony were formed with their consumer stuff. My view of Sony has been coloured ever since. And PB_BM is right, the Panasonic "Walkman" was much better than the Sony.

I used to drool over Krell. I also loved the backstory on the name.

I had some Classe (CDN), Bryston (CDN) (Head Amp), McIntosh (USA), Magnepan Magneplaners (USA), Linn (UK) (Sondek, Ittok and Karma) and a CD player from a company called Wadia (US) that proved to me that CD could never be audiophile - if Wadia could not do it, nobody could.

Those were heady days. Anybody think an industry can never nearly disappear or lose its meaning for many should consider high end audio.

But we are off topic..........
    A guy on Nikon Gear has a Nikon mirror less camera .....he only uses live view on his D850......

mhedges said:

mhedges said:

Those were heady days. Anybody think an industry can never nearly disappear or lose its meaning for many should consider high end audio.

Absolutely. I think the comparisons between high end audio and photography are extremely apt, due to both being upended by the conversion to digital.
  • HikerHiker Posts: 197Member
    mhedges said:

Untitled

Ahhhhh...the good old days!!! Back in the day Sony made respectable A/V equipment, like Pioneer of old. I switched to Integra A/V receiver and Paradigm speakers (5 channel set up, good enough for my enjoyment) and a Rythmik 15" dual ported subwoofer years ago. Yes, my neighbors know when there is some serious LFE going on!
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

A guy on Nikon Gear has a Nikon mirror less camera .....he only uses live view on his D850......

I am 75/25 live view/OVF. I like the live view silent shutter facility although no flash in that mode is a nuisance.
    Always learning.
    mhedges said:

mhedges said:

mhedges said:

Absolutely. I think the comparisons between high end audio and photography are extremely apt, due to both being upended by the conversion to digital.
    Except that digital photography was a step forward when full frame finally came out. However, digital audio was about three steps back when it first came out and has never recovered even a step for the masses and maybe only one or two for purists.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    edited April 2018
    What I'm waiting to see is a mirrorless that can use the contrast detect AF to do an "on the fly" calibration of the PD sensor(s). That would truly offer the best of both worlds. One would think that, with both systems in simultaneous operation that wouldn't be too difficult to pull off.

That said, unlike some, I fear I AM closed minded. I don't like Sony for many of the same reasons I don't like Apple, or for that matter MicroSquash. But then, I was an OS2 user for much of the 90s. Now, where did that get me? :/ If I ever took the Mirrorless plunge, I'd probably do it with Fuji.
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on

mhedges said:

mhedges said:

mhedges said:

Except that digital photography was a step forward when full frame finally came out. However, digital audio was about three steps back when it first came out and has never recovered even a step for the masses and maybe only one or two for purists.
    Eh. Let's not open that can of worms. Anyway, I haven't heard enough HQ analog audio to really make a valid comparison. I will say that I quite like having any song from my 10000+ track library available in multiple rooms at the touch of a button.

As far as photography - can't comment on the state of DSLR's when FF first came out. But I am getting far better results from my D5500 than I ever got with my N60 setup.

Anyway we are talking about markets here. It doesn't really matter what's actually better. All that matters is where the market has gone. And that's pretty clear, vinyl resurgence notwithstanding.
    mhedges said:

mhedges said:

mhedges said:

mhedges said:

Eh. Let's not open that can of worms. Anyway, I haven't heard enough HQ analog audio to really make a valid comparison. I will say that I quite like having any song from my 10000+ track library available in multiple rooms at the touch of a button.

As far as photography - can't comment on the state of DSLR's when FF first came out. But I am getting far better results from my D5500 than I ever got with my N60 setup.

Anyway we are talking about markets here. It doesn't really matter what's actually better. All that matters is where the market has gone. And that's pretty clear, vinyl resurgence notwithstanding.
    Yes, that is quite a can of worms.

I think you will get better results from your D5500 - my wife has it and it is quite good. What I should really say is that digital did not seem worth the switch until the D800 came out. And as you can see, my previous audiophile experience influenced that thinking.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member

I am 75/25 live view/OVF. I like the live view silent shutter facility although no flash in that mode is a nuisance.

Indeed, the no flash thing is a killer, particularly when you want to take group photos indoors, with yourself in the photo while using snapbridge/wifi to take the photo. Errr.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Well I generally prefer that I not be in the photo so that may not bother me.
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    @WestEndPhoto: "Service issue. Did you take your lens and body in to get serviced? This sounds like a pretty serious issue to be showing up on a f/3.5-5.6 lens with that depth of field. I would also think that Nikon should also be able to fix it. Does anybody know from experience if this is an issue that Nikon's service department would not be able to fix."

Two different cameras, two different lenses. Unlikely to be a "service issue." But if it is, I'd say Nikon has a bad QC problem. Here's another such "service issue": I have never been able to fine tune my 80-400mm lens, not on my D800, not on my D7200. No matter which technique I used -- and I tried four different ones -- I could never determine a "best focus" micro-adjustment value. The actual performance of the lens was not bad to start with; the only reason I persisted was to see if I could optimize the performance and acuity. I thought the problem was me....until I read a comment by Thom Hogan on his blog that he had the same problem with his 80-400mm lens. "Stuff" happens, it's annoying, I don't like it, because there's no need for it. Get rid of the mirror, Nikon. And when you do, I'll be happy to return as a customer.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    PB_PM said:

Indeed, the no flash thing is a killer, particularly when you want to take group photos indoors, with yourself in the photo while using snapbridge/wifi to take the photo. Errr.
    Under those sort of circumstances I find normal shutter actuation is fine. I only use electronic shutter to remove any chance of vibration (macro and stacking landscape shots). I am not in the wedding business anymore so noise isn't the problem.
    Always learning.
    ANNOUNCEMENT..

Nikon Mirror less by spring 2019........2019 WTF

Total mirror less fail .
    Where did you see that?
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    edited April 2018
    Nasim's website has an article dated 4/30/18 titled "10 Issues Sony needs to Fix." Reading it (and the comments) leaves me with an even greater distaste for Sony products (cameras in particular). Have any of the Sony users on here seen the piece and can/will you comment on the reality of it.
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    edited April 2018

Where did you see that?

DPReview, who got it from NikonEye:

http://www.nikoneye.com/nikon-manager-confirms-the-new-mirrorless-cameras-will-hit-the-market-in-spring-2019

I haven't seen the original video yet, so who knows if the translation is correct or not.

Post edited by BVS on
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX