Nikon Z5

Comments

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Seems to me that new kit lens will be a "cellphone" type lens used to take cellphone looking photos of people and objects and scenery. Now if the Z5 has included software "cell phone type filters" so a bit of post processing can be done in camera and good connectivity to a cellphone for instant posting to the internet Nikon may have a "bridge" camera which appeals to people who currently use their cellphone but want better image quality they can print large at times. It would be good if Nikon could produce a camera which appeals to cellphone users.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    edited July 2020
    I was skeptical that it would have dual card slots but that certainly seems to be the case. To me that points to the Z6s/Z7s coming out sooner rather than later because it doesn't make sense for the cheaper model to have two of something that the more expensive one only has one of. Even if (to me) 1 XQD/CFe > 2 SD.
    Post edited by mhedges on
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    For me:

1 Cfast w/ unlimited buffer > 2 SD 25% of the time. 75% the other way.

But I will pay and extra $1,000 for two CFast.

Another way to look at this:

Resiliency > Effectiveness > Efficiency

One card does not give me resiliency. But two CFast gives me everything.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 646Member
    I would be happy with 1 or 2 CF Express. I won't buy a camera that only has SD, I don't want to buy into old tech just now. I am looking for cards and lenses for the next 20 years, not the last.
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    I don't care about CFE until the Z cameras can shoot like a A9 which I think will take a while since Z9 looks to be way off. Before that, I will keep on using D850 for action instead. I don't see the point of investing in something at a time when I have no use for it. That decision can always be made later.

Now we can have a guess game on the MSRP of Z5. What's people's call? While I hope it's lower, I say $1400 for the bare camera without adapter.
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    $1499.
    $1599 with kit lens.
    $1999 with 24-70 ( <<<<<< I'm hoping for this)

By December, $1500 with kit lens + FTZ.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    I hope they don't remove the joystick.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I don't care about CFE until the Z cameras can shoot like a A9 which I think will take a while since Z9 looks to be way off. Before that, I will keep on using D850 for action instead. I don't see the point of investing in something at a time when I have no use for it. That decision can always be made later.

TC88 10 out of ten for that or in your case 8 out of 8

$1499.
    $1599 with kit lens.

By December, $1500 with kit lens + FTZ.</p>

I'm guessing $1400, $1600 with kit; $2000 with 24-70. FTZ $50 more.

I don't think it will be all the way down to $1500 full kit by December. Maybe $1700-1800. Depends a little on price of Z6s (assuming it is out by then) and if they are still selling the 1st gen Z6.
    mhedges said:

$1499.
    $1599 with kit lens.

By December, $1500 with kit lens + FTZ.</p>

I'm guessing $1400, $1600 with kit; $2000 with 24-70. FTZ $50 more.

I don't think it will be all the way down to $1500 full kit by December. Maybe $1700-1800. Depends a little on price of Z6s (assuming it is out by then) and if they are still selling the 1st gen Z6.
    As it stands the Z6 is £1400 to £1600 in Scotland depending on the lunar cycle in some shops it seems. I am expecting the Z5 in a £999 or £1100 with a that 24-50mm lens.

Since £'s usually go 1:1 with $'s I am going to say $999 body only. Maybe $1299 with a kit lens, at a real push. That puts it inline with the RP. The RP market is the $1000/£1000 FF camera now.
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    The Z5 is clearly aimed at the $1000 Canon RP and the $900 Sony A7II as it addresses most of their shortcomings. OTOH, the Z5 falls somewhat short against the $1400 A7RII. I believe that Nikon will be setting the Z5's intro price somewhere between $1100-$1300, with its street price eventually falling down closer to whatever the Canon RP is selling for.
    I can't see it being $1000 with the Z50 at $900. Only $100 more for FF, IBIS, and dual slots? No way.

Z6 is currently $1800 ($50 more for FTZ) in the US.
    mhedges said:

I can't see it being $1000 with the Z50 at $900. Only $100 more for FF, IBIS, and dual slots? No way.

If the Z50 is $900, why would anyone buy that over the FF RP at $999? I don't mean people already invested in a system, I mean people listening to a sales guy up selling them to a FF camera for $100 more. I mean Nikon will have a price in mind, but these are SD slots, and IBIS is an unknown cost component.

mhedges said:

If the Z50 is $900, why would anyone buy that over the FF RP at $999? I don't mean people already invested in a system, I mean people listening to a sales guy up selling them to a FF camera for $100 more. I mean Nikon will have a price in mind, but these are SD slots, and IBIS is an unknown cost component.
    I think we are in agreement? I'm saying nobody would buy the Z50 at $900 if Z5 is $1000
    mhedges said:

mhedges said:

I think we are in agreement? I'm saying nobody would buy the Z50 at $900 if Z5 is $1000
    I think I am coming from the other side. At the moment the Canon RP is a full frame camera for $999. Making the Z50 quite a hard sell. The Z5 would need to come in about $1000 to be a RP competitor and the Z50 might need to come down in price unless it out performs the Z5 in some manner.

I think I am coming from the other side. At the moment the Canon RP is a full frame camera for $999. Making the Z50 quite a hard sell. The Z5 would need to come in about $1000 to be a RP competitor and the Z50 might need to come down in price unless it out performs the Z5 in some manner.

Ah. Well I think the Z5 can be priced a little higher than the RP and still sell. It certainly seems like it will be a better camera (if the rumored specs hold). IBIS alone is a pretty big value add for the video folks.

As far as sales go - actual numbers aren't available to ordinary people but judging by various rankings etc. my take is the RP sells OK but maybe not as well as expected given how cheap it is while the Z50 also sells OK especially given how it could stand to be a little cheaper.
    I think that the Z5 will be $200 more than the RB and the Z50 will be $200 less. It may take a bit of time for these prices to stabilize/settle for a bit. Obviously, Nikon will keep the prices higher initially.
    edited July 2020
    Advertising is out 2 x SD Grip for 2 x EN EL 15 with release and control wheel( if you study the graphic in the add)
    Price $1399. Specs match the Z6 except for only 4.5 fps.
    Details here .... donotreply@mcd.nikon.com
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
    Looks like you're all miles out on price - at least in the UK:
    £1719 with 24-50 lens & £1859 with 24-50 &FTZ!
    No a BSI sensor I understand...the americans always get things cheap and we pay double
    Only available in kits from my favourite store. Both kits come in under the RP kits so that appears to be the way to sell the camera. £1719 with the 24-50mm is not a bad price to start, but I would like to see that come down to £1499 or even £1299 in the next year. Plenty of wiggle room there for rebates.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Haven't really been following the rumors of this camera, I was honestly expecting a higher end D6 type of mirrorless camera and instead got a camera under the Z6 although with two cards and no top plate OLED display.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Overall looks pretty good to me. Especially for stills first shooters. Would make a good wedding photography camera with it's dual slots. The lack of really high FPS isn't so much of a concern with that crowd, I think.

I'm surprised they left all the buttons etc. from Z6/Z6. I thought a couple would go.

This is probably as close as we will get to the "cheap stills only" camera some folks are asking for.
    I can see where this is going Z50 or Z5 at the bottom then Z6s an upgrade on the Z5 with the Z7s an upgrade on that . Z6s and Z7s better focusing ,Z7s more pixels .
    So at present the Z6 and 7 are dead in the water from a purchase point of view but if you look at the stock levels (or out of stock levels) for 6 and 7 there should not be a lot of inventory to shift. Dont see a D500 replacement unless thats the Z7s. The Z5s has too few pixels.

I can see where this is going Z50 or Z5 at the bottom then Z6s an upgrade on the Z5 with the Z7s an upgrade on that . Z6s and Z7s better focusing ,Z7s more pixels .
    So at present the Z6 and 7 are dead in the water from a purchase point of view but if you look at the stock levels (or out of stock levels) for 6 and 7 there should not be a lot of inventory to shift. Dont see a D500 replacement unless thats the Z7s. The Z5s has too few pixels.

So yes, given the Z5 and upcoming Z6s and Z7s, the Z6 and Z7 are lame ducks. But I am sure that Nikon planned it that way.

I still see a Z50 with a full frame sensor coming. Call it a Z3 or Z4. That would be a great introductory camera for about the price of a Canon RP, though probably a little more as it would be a little better (but no IBIS like the Canon). The big difference would be size (a cm narrower and almost a cm shorter and significantly lighter) which would appeal to its own niche that could also appeal to future Z8 and Z9 shooters with more than one use case (like me). Bigger than the niche would just be the price point and size.

The major drawback in a camera this size is lack of IBIS. But I think for size and price, that is a decent trade off.

I recognize that this is speculative and that my own interest in such a camera is driving my speculation.