Nikon Z5

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    It's insane that there aren't any English based preview videos out yet. I don't know what Nikon is thinking.
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    Heavy rolling shutter in 4K, Ok in HD, which was to be expected from using an old sensor that was never really meant to do 4K (go to 4:54 in the next video):

mhedges said:

It's insane that there aren't any English based preview videos out yet. I don't know what Nikon is thinking.

Jared Polin just got a hold on one and posted his usual unboxing video:

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    If you are shooting wedding videos get a shoulder mount camera. If shooting stills 24 MP is not enough..blackout , poor startup, bad focus .
    A really good summary of what the Z5 actually is:

edited November 2020
    Thanks for finding that but nothing on the AF and for me 24 MP is not enough. I have seen all the pro wedding videos and none of them can arrange groups, don't keep the Groom on the correct side of the bride and don't know how to control hands.I do like this u tube presenter.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 646Member
    Why not just look at reviews of the Z6. The Z5 is just a slightly worse Z6 with a much slower and less reliable media format and slightly lower build. That does not mean it is a bad camera, but in terms of reviews on it, just look at the Z6.

Personally the cost is still too high, the Z5 is selling within a few hundred from a Z6(And in someplace more than a Z6), which in itself is only £200-400 less than the Z6II depending on where you shop.
    edited November 2020
    Just checked the Z6 is only £30 ( $40 more ) Not sure what the Brexit will do to the prices but we have done a deal with Japan. No doubt the VAT ( GST ) will go up to pay for the Covid.
    The grey prices have not changed ...maybe will not until they get new stock from Nikon
    Checkout Very for the Z6. I got mine in March for £1399 and there is a 64 GB Sony XQD in the box.
    Its £1179 at e-infinity but I would be mad to buy a Z6 ..24 MP NO bad focus NO.
    Z7ii maybe but must look at the Z8

Its £1179 at e-infinity but I would be mad to buy a Z6 ..24 MP NO bad focus NO.
    Z7ii maybe but must look at the Z8

The Z6 focus is not bad. If it can pick up running squirrels, toddlers, and birds in flight it is fine. Get the Z7ii for the megapixels and speed improvement.

I and many others are using the Z6 as our main wildlife body, no human subject is going to strain the AF like that. The Z7ii and Z6ii AF is only a little ahead of the current Z6 and Z7 firmware AF.They have room to grow, but you wont be missing shots with any of these cameras if you are just shooting people. But even wildlife I have a 98% hit rate across thousands of pictures, I have so many tack sharp pictures now that I just have to pick the pose or wingbeat I want.
    edited November 2020
    Just watched angry photographer on Z5 . Viewfinder too small. shutter very noisy. (silent mode not mentioned)..good backup or travel camera . Z24-50mm Horrible
    So count that one out.

Just watched angry photographer on Z5 . Viewfinder too small. shutter very noisy. (silent mode not mentioned)..good backup or travel camera . Z24-50mm Horrible
    So count that one out.

https://lensesforhire.co.uk/product/nikon-z7-with-ftz-adapter have you considered renting a body for the week(end)? I feel from your posts you have some pre conceptions that are similar to mine before I tried mirrorless then they went away when I had it in my hands.

Perhaps renting the Z6 or Z7 and 50mm f/1.8 would give you an idea if mirrorless is ready for you yet or at least a B camera for building up glass on until we start to see something with Expeed 7 processors.
    Until it matches or exceeds the D850 I am not interested. Not interested in eye detect just how well the AF-C or equivalent works
    edited November 2020

Just watched angry photographer on Z5 . Viewfinder too small.

What? Come on. Its the same 0.8X as Z6/Z7 which is almost the biggest on the market - bigger than the Sonys (except for A7SIII), the Canons or the Fuji's which he fawns over constantly. Or at least he used to - haven't watched his stuff in a long time.

I have never heard anyone else say it is too small. Honestly it's almost a little to big for me.

AP is a total clown. Just complete misinformation. Here's a list of specs if you want actual numbers for EVF magnification:

https://www.neocamera.com/article/evf_sizes?sort=magnification
    Post edited by mhedges on
    The reference is to when wearing glasses which I don't.
    With lockdown the problem is you cannot go to a shop and try one . so we wait

The reference is to when wearing glasses which I don't.
    With lockdown the problem is you cannot go to a shop and try one . so we wait

Why can't you just rent one for a weekend?
    have you got shares in a rental store ?
    edited November 2020
    That would be a wee bit too American. I am looking at this logically, you are clearly not sure about this yet/on the fence. £200 for 3 days, dropped off at your door and picked right back up again and you can maybe pick a Z lens to try too. 3 days should be enough time so see if a Z7 meets your needs and if it does then the Z7ii will exceed your needs. Best yet, it cost you bugger all compared to buying a body and lens.
    Post edited by photobunny on
    £200 is bugger all you say .. I think a trip to Jessops next year would be cheaper.
    I would still prefer it in my hands with my lenses for a weekend rather than just having a wee hold in the shop. But mostly thats because I need to take its to a hide near the squirrels. Thats about the fastest moving mammal I have easy access too.
    For us across the pond, the Z5 has just been out a couple of months and Nikon USA is already cutting $100 off its price; give it a year and its grey market price should eventually go down to $1000 or whereabouts. Nikon must have throttled down Z6 production by now, if they haven't downright taken it out of production already, so its grey market price won't be going down any further due to overstock (currently at about $1500), so going forward, the price difference between the Z5 and the Z6 should only widen. Additionally, for people like me who only own SD cards there is the added cost of purchasing at least a pair of decent capacity XQD or CFExpress cards. A 64GB card is what I reckon the minimum for a RAW shooter with a 24Mpix camera, so add about $200 for a pair of those at current prices. And then if you need the FTZ adapter, Nikon USA is currently subsidizing it at $46 while the grey marketeers aren't, so budget an additional $250 for it if you choose to buy a grey market Z6, which by now doesn't make any sense to do so as that's only $80 less than what Nikon USA wants for a Z6+FTZ. It all adds up to enough to pay for a Nikon USA 50/1.8S or a grey market 24-70/4S (I wouldn't bother with the 24-50, as I don't believe it's worth $300). And you still won't have dual card slots with the Z6!
    I'm curious how long the Z6 will stick around. Thinking it won't be too long; they may need to keep the line going a little longer to use up parts but the most expensive parts (sensor and EVF) should be able to be switched over to the Z6II.