A get together in 2014 for forum members FREEPORT, MAINE/MARCH 27-30, 2014

MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
edited August 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
After the great time we all had in Colorado Springs, Colorado, the ideas are surfacing regarding having a meeting in 2014. Possibly a venue in the eastern USA. I have heard some ideas such as Niagara Falls, Maine, Key West, St Augustine, and New Orleans. But this is the thread to post your thoughts.
Post edited by Msmoto on
Msmoto, mod

Comments

• scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    Well I would love to attend but I won't be living in the US until probably late Nov of 2014, I will say it might be a good time of the year for a Key West visit, usually nice weather but I would avoid getting caught in Fantasy fest unless you like large crowds of some really strange behavior (might make some interesting photos but probably would not be allowed on the any normal forum unless they have an "adult" section).
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    East cost here I come. My vote for the moment, given the list above is: Maine. I can taste the Maine Lobster as we speak. :P
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    as for me Maine and Key West is ok - as much as I like some sandwiches in New Orleans I'll skip on this.
    if in Main we could stretch some workshops over to Nova Scotia in Canada, I would love to see Halifax.
  • michael66michael66 Posts: 231Member
    What's wrong? You guys afraid of the big city? We do have a smaller city to the east called Brooklyn. :smirk:: You have the Amish to the west ( PA ) and Long Island to the east and Bear Mountain to the north. How long a trip are you planning?

A warning about accommodations in New England if you do this in the fall. Make your accommodations soon. The rule is a year in advance.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I was at Boston last month. East coast lobster is great.

I vote for Chicago. Lol
    Seriously I doubt I would go. I normally do local road trips for relaxing or fishing.
    If Chicago is ever on the list sign me up.
    @Vipmediastar_JZ: Chicago would be fantastic as well. Never been there...love to go!!!
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    A year in advance is a good RULE. You might also avoid family/children breaks from school such as labor day and summer vacations. Maine for fall colors sounds great. Is Puerto Rico a possibility?
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited August 2013
    if in Main we could stretch some workshops over to Nova Scotia in Canada, I would love to see Halifax.
    A city worth visiting, at least once no doubt. If you do go, make sure to visit the clock tower, one of the few buildings on the harbour side that survived the 1917 explosion and fires (caused by a collision with a munition ship).
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PickerelPickerel Posts: 154Member
    I would totally do Maine, as long as I am somewhere on the east coast. Might wander off to Europe and walk the Camino de Santiago next summer.
    Appalachian Trail class of 2013, Georgia to Maine
    Continuing adventures at shepherdadventures.wordpress.com
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    If it was in Maine, or in Puerto Rico, I would seriously think of showing up:) I have family in both areas, so it would be more palatable spending the $$$ to travel to the US from up here in Greenland.
  • PeterPeter Posts: 178Administrator
    rmp mentioned fall colors in Maine - why wait till 2014 when we can do a long weekend this fall?
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    I'm out for this year but next year sounds good.
    @adamz: This year is done....are you saying you cannot make it in 2014? Don't make me send a few of my 40 comrade come get you. Ooh and your wife and baby is welcomed to as I'm sure you know :P
    Ok, let's plan for 2014. For me the best time will be spring or fall.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    edited August 2013
    As someone who has lived in New England most of his life, I can provide some input here. I'd avoid the summer, as the crowds can be ridiculous and prices high. Fall is great, but again, foliage season can get expensive. But with variances in elevation around the region, "peak" foliage can come at many different times in New England, from early September through late October. Spring would also be great, but the weather could be a crapshoot. This past Memorial Day the high mountains around my home in Vermont got 3 feet of snow. But if you're interested in shooting cool stuff, a little weather is part of makes this region great. In reference to Adam's comment, I believe there's an excellent photography school in Maine.
    http://www.mainemedia.edu/workshops/photography
    Post edited by proudgeek on
  •  DavidJaan DavidJaan Posts: 284Member
    I would definitely be interested if it ends up being an east coast meet up.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Who makes the decision? When is it made? I think hotel reservations for a meeting in late September 2014 should be made in October 2013. Especially if you (we) want a hotel with photo-ops on site.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Research will begin in a few weeks on the suggestions and a decision by the moderators/admin will no doubt be made sometime in October if possible.

Factors include photo ops, cost of accommodations, and schedules of the organizers and participants. Also, the logistics of getting to the venue are considered.

From the participants perspective this year it was a great first time casual gathering of interested folks. Next year should be even better.
    Msmoto, mod
  • PickerelPickerel Posts: 154Member
    edited August 2013
    rmp mentioned fall colors in Maine - why wait till 2014 when we can do a long weekend this fall?
    I would totally do that, whether it is official or not. I am tentatively summiting Katahdin on September 9, then back to New Jersey for a couple weeks for a wedding and a dance, then back up north for a dance weekend in Northport, ME October 4-6.

As far as accommodations... I would probably be the youngest and least experienced participant in terms of photography, but I bet as a long-distance hiker I could teach y'all a thing or two on traveling really cheap, even with a car!
    Post edited by Pickerel on
    Appalachian Trail class of 2013, Georgia to Maine
    Continuing adventures at shepherdadventures.wordpress.com
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited August 2013
    You might want to consider going to Old Quebec City for the "European" atmosphere of the walled old city. People could extend the trip to visit Nova Scotia (fishing villages), Maine (rocky seacoast) or Montreal (modern city with some French atmosphere) after the get together.

http://www.quebecregion.com/en/photos-and-videos/video-galleries/summer-here-and-now?#history-and-heritage-6

http://www.quebecregion.com/en/photos-and-videos/video-galleries/a-4-season-destination#a-4-season-destination-1
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    New York City might be nice. Many people in the region and an unlimited choice of subjects - day and night.
    Who makes the decision? When is it made? I think hotel reservations for a meeting in late September 2014 should be made in October 2013. Especially if you (we) want a hotel with photo-ops on site.
    We basically just agree based on majority. I can also post a poll.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    @Benji2505 - as much as I like big apple as much I wouldn't like to organise meeting there. I have to disagree with You about the greatness of this city. It's nice but it's neither a landscape or wildlife paradise.