Arca Swiss Conversions of tripod heads

Comments

• soapsoap Posts: 28Member
    Pics forthcoming. I picked up the second half of the rig this morning (will expand on that in the big post.)
  • YetibuddhaYetibuddha Posts: 388Member
    Thanks folks for bringing this up. I figured out how to convert my Manfrotto 488 RC4 head to Arca. Now, if there was just a way to convert my Gitzo head as well!
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @ Yetibuddha

I think the secret to the conversion is in selecting the ARCA Swiss type clamp. If you note, I have used several different ones and have a couple others as well. Additionally, I have my flash bracket with a clamp on it so it just clamps onto the "L" Plate on the camera body. I will try to post this someday as well.
    Msmoto, mod
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited January 2013
    Although this isn't a true conversion per say, it is an Arca-Swiss type add-on. It's a Jobu Micro Gimbal head. Makes working with small telephoto lenses (300mm F4/70-200mmm F2.8) much easier than with a standard ballhead.

Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    not a nikon, but a successful port to Arca Swiss using only cheap chinese parts

I wouldn't put a dslr on it, but for small cams (like this gopro or mirrorless) it's more than enough.
  • Swame_spSwame_sp Posts: 58Member
    I found a local seller for Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 and 468 ball head converted to arca swiss style using Wimberley QR plate. Asking price is $450 including carrying bag. What do you guys think of this for using with heavier lens like 70-200 f2.8?
    Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 is ok with 70-200/2.8 - using it. the 468 is an older ball head, but IMHO it will managed for N70-200/2.8 setup. if You gonna use this setup, than get the foot replacement for N70-200 (same foot for both vr and vdii) either from kirk photo (using this one w/o any problems) or from RRS.
    I didn't know that arca Swiss no longer is Swiss: spent some time with trying to find a valid website of them in Switzerland. It appears, they renamed their brand in April 2012 and ever since they only have a post address in Switzerland, but no phone number email address or website. Some information about the products can be found at http://www.arca-swiss-magasin.com/index.html? Mostly in French, but there's an overview in English http://www.arca-swiss-magasin.com/contents/fr/d1_arca-swiss-societe.html
    Just scroll down to "Téléchargements".
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Just for informational purposes, ARCA is short for All-Round-CAmeras and the real deal is here for those who are in love with view cameras......
    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ARCA.pdf

For those who have used an adjustable camera like the ARCA-Swiss or Sinar in the 1960's and later...this was the ultimate heaven....
    Msmoto, mod
    As far as i have been able to determine, there are no arca swiss clamps made by Gitzo, nor are there such clamps made to adapt a gitzo ballhead to arca.
    Gitzo is "only" the noble brand of vitec, who own Manfrotto. Some of the Gitzo stuff can be used on Manfrotto heads, and vice versa. Manfrotto Q5 works on Gitzo Traveler GK2580TQR.

One would need to do a bit customization work, but it's doable - and there's some probability, that Gitzo and Manfrotto will last a couple of years.
    @JJ_SO - basically all the ballheads from gitzo can work on manfrotto tripods... well on any other tripods, same with manfrotto ballheads and other brands - they also will work on gitzo legs - it's the screw diameter that counts, nothing else.
    @adamz: I meant not the ballheads but the quick release's camera plates. Should have been more specific on that, sorry. And there's only one plate of Manfrotto working with some Gitzo stuff.
    @JJ_SO - ok, now yes I agree with You that plates are not compatible, that's why ppl use arca-swiss (though there are some problems with using gitzo clam with anything else)
    edited January 2013
    ;) even the salesguy from my Gitzo dealer switched his private plates to Arca Swiss. If he can do it...
    But it doesn't have to be tomorrow. And a Manfrotto 405 on a Gitzo 4542 looks slick - and makes no difference between shutter prerelease or not.
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
  • sidewayssideways Posts: 54Member
    @yetibuddha - You are wrong there are some products from gitzo that utilise arca swiss:
    - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/532339-REG/Gitzo_GS5160CDT_GS5160CDT_Arca_Swiss_Type_Plate.html
    - http://www.gitzo.com/series-1-5-arca-stule-quick-release-adapter-a-b
    Adamz, Yeti - I tried the first of these a few weeks ago. $75 down the drain. The Gitzo adaptor plate is at the tightest end of the range of dimensions of an arca swiss plate with almost no adjustment range. I discovered after buying that it supposedly fits genuine ARCA SWISS branded plates and German Novoflx plates but it's about 1.5mm too tight to take the new Photoclam version I put on my D800 and won't take RRS, Markins, Sunway and many other popular Arca style plates.

@Msmoto "I have my flash bracket with a clamp on it so it just clamps onto the "L" Plate on the camera body. I will try to post this someday as well."

This is a really clever idea :-) Thanks for the tip !
    Yes, I have seen a number of reviews of the Gitzo arca adapter. So technically Gitzo makes the adapter, but the reviews are uniform that it doesn't fit, representing Sideway's experience. That is why I am so frustrated with making a change, because otherwise it is a few hundred dollars for a new ballhead and L bracket.
    I'm feeling rather in between now:

Yesterday I got two mails from a German and a Swiss dealer, the Arca-Swiss d4 is about to come in stock again. First, I was very sure to sell the two Manfrottos and cancel a Gitzo ballhead, because the d4 could replace 3D head, geared head and ballhead. More or less. So, I'd have one head instead of three.

Costs of this transaction, with plates, Arca-Swiss L-bracket and maybe getting some money by selling the Manfrotto stuff is estimated around 700-800 $, maybe less.

But I'm hesitating. While the Gitzo ballhead looks very capable of being treated roughly, all this knobs and levers of the precision d4 thing... well, I doubt seriously if it can take a fall, slipping out of hand, whatever I already experienced in my clumsy phases. Especially the fliplock quick release doesn't appear robust to me. The Gitzo ballhead has half the weight of a d4. I can adapt another Manfrotto 394 on to it, the only concern is the plates are not fitting nicely in my hand when using cam with battery grip in portrait mode. The gearhead in me wants a d4, the other responsible parts keep telling "look at the money, what you can get for and how much of your pics were done from a tripod?" My experiences with Gitzo are mixed, with Manfrotto also and with Arca-Swiss and their french website with no clear overview of their adapter plates, too.

Any suggestions or impulses are welcome.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @JJ_SO: You know where I stand on items of this nature.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited January 2013
    I avoid the lever lock release. There are even some Acra-Swiss compatible accessories where the manufacture advise against using their products with the lever locks. For that, and other reasons, I like the traditional screw type Acra releases, and they are cheaper than the lever releases as well.

That's the great thing about Acra heads, you can simply order a bare head and buy your own quick release (screw or lever) from whatever brand you like.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • DJBee49DJBee49 Posts: 133Member

I am going to get shot down in flames for this but.....I have tripods and monopods with a mix (at the moment) of both Arca and Manfrotto attachment plates and I think the Manfrotto system is better. Slides in and locks faster, cheaper and just as secure. I will probably standardise them all with Arca but not because I think it is better, just easier to standardise in that direction.

Great advice here though.

Just running for the shelter....... :-SS
    Well @DJBee49. You did ask ... :-)
    The manfrotto stuff is good, quick, solid, and maybe cheaper so it's a fair point to make.
    But Manfrotto don't make a plate that's custom machined to fit the base of my D800 or an L plate version so it's just a bit more clunky and reliant on you torqueing up that 1/4 inch screw when you want to go sideways - yes ?