Arca Swiss Conversions of tripod heads

Comments

• HvalHval Posts: 110Member
    PB_PM,

I agree. The costs are not due to RRS, but due to transport, local taxes, exchange rates etc. it doesn't make the products any cheaper though.

Cheers,

Hval

Owner of an extremely high quality Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    If money is an issue I would search the various market places for used equipment. One can often save lots and unless the equipment has been beaten around a lot, the value is good.
    Msmoto, mod
    Msmoto,

I agree, and it is what I do. Not a lot of RRS kit seems to come to the second hand market in the UK. If I buy second hand from abroad I still get hit by all the taxes and duties.

One day Soon I shall purchase that BH-55 PCLR ball head, the D800 L plate and lens plates for three largish lenses I would like. A cost of £1300 ish ($2,200). That, however will have to wait until I have that macro lens.

Then, next year the macro rails (B150-B), I hope.

Cheers,

Hval

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    @Hval said:

Then, next year the macro rails (B150-B), I hope.

You can't go wrong with the B-150. :D

DRM_3465
    DRM_3464

You won't believe all the flexibility this tool brings to shooting macro work. Well worth the bucks.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Ooh, you are teasing me. :-)

Thank you for those photos.

Quick question for those who have Really Right Stuff products. Do those of you with ball heads also go for a levelling base? If so, why?

Cheers,

Hval

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Stop...showing...me...those...pics...can't...resist...much...longer! :P
    Always learning.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited May 2014
    @Hval...the leveling base is fantastic. I have their TVC-23 tripod and the TA-2-LC: Series 2 Leveling Base with Clamp. They also make a universal one called: TA-U-LB.

As for the why: fast and easy way to level your setup without having to kill yourself in getting your tripod legs the right length! Whenever, I go out and I shoot with my tripod, their are almost always areas where foundation is not cooperative. Imaging trying to level your camera when mounted on your tripod between two or three rock...be it at the beach or hillside. Not a single tripod leg is at the the same length, all the while you are trying to find the right level via a level-buble mounted on the hot-shoe or you cameras LCD level indicator. Pain in the ass, if you asks me. Even though the ballhead does come in handy....still not as easy when you are trying to get it at the right composition and be level. Yet with the RRS leveling base one turn...center the bubble and tighten it down. Done! 3-4 seconds max.

My current setup. Note: I also have the panning clamp on my BH-55.

ARN_4962-2
    D7000 35 1.8 1/100 ISO 100 @ f/4.5

ARN_4960-1
    D7000 35 1.8 1/1250 ISO 320 @ f/2.5
    +1
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    Golf007sd,

Thanks for your prompt response. A nice concise answer.

Cheers,

Hval

If these photos keep dropping by, I figure you and Golf are going to cave in and buy one. :-)) =))
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Ooh, you are teasing me. :-)

Thank you for those photos.

Quick question for those who have Really Right Stuff products. Do those of you with ball heads also go for a levelling base? If so, why?
    Your welcome. I keep them posted on my Flicker account so I can copy and paste quicly.

IN answer to your question, no I do not use a RRS levling base. I do use a bubble indicator in the flash shoe and the LCD level tool.
    edited May 2014
    Just to bring this back to the idea of converting non-RRS to ARCA Swiss clamps.. if one has the funds, replacing the entire ballhead with an RRS head is certainly the very best solution. However, if one has four non-RRS heads, to replace all these may be in the $1500 range and conversion might be done for less than $300…. easy decision unless you own your own company…LOL…. :)) =))
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    edited May 2014
    Msmoto,

I have sticky tape, string and six inch nails ready to convert my Manfrotto Heads. Do I require a hammer as well?

No, I am going to end up purchasing RRS kit over time to replace my tripod equipment. I will be making adjustments to the Manfrotto Fluid Head to make it Arca Swiss compatible
    Post edited by Hval on

Cheers,

Hval

edited May 2014
    Msmoto,

I have sticky tape, string and six inch nails ready to convert my Manfrotto Heads. Do I require a hammer as well?

No, I am going to end up purchasing RRS kit over time to replace my tripod equipment. I will be making adjustments to the Manfrotto Fluid Head to make it Arca Swiss compatible
    You left off the most important item for this conversion. A tube of builder grade adhesive. =))
    Post edited by Photobug on
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    I hesitated to converse all Manfrotto 410 plates to Arca type because I didn't find a quick release Arca type for just snap in with a single hand hold camera - that is where the 410 system shines. I found one here at FLM, an Europe based brand. Checked at a dealer and just ordered three of them for two Gitzo heads and an Arca monoball. Since last X-mas I'm proud owner of an Arca d4 and the rough Manfrotto plates just don't look good on it and make the very compact and comparatively lightweight (compared to Manfrotto 405) geared head less compact. Tripod collection appears to be a hobby inside a hobby...
    And, to answer the May 2014 post, albeit a bit late... :))

Yes, industrial grade builders adhesive is essential in today's world..... :-*
    Msmoto, mod
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    So, after a test run yesterday, I am officially moving from Black Rapid to Peak Design Slide Strap.

This leads to my next dilemma which is my tripod. I don't really use it often so I don't want to drop a lot of cash on converting it to the Arca Swiss plate that the Peak Design strap uses.

I currently have a Manfrotto 488RC4 ball head. I want to change out the RC4 mount to an Arca mount. I think it makes the most sens to get one with a bullseye bubble level embedded for convenience. I looked at RRS and see I can get one for either $86 (screw type) or $120 (quick release lever). This seems to be more than I really want to spend.

Anyone have any experience with something more in the sub-$50 range?

Thanks!

-Lou
    Yes Hammie, providing you have the guts to use cheap gear, you can get them for well under that off ebay. I have been using them for years now.
    Always learning.
    Hammie - I would not buy new in the under $50 category. Try eBay as spraynpray recommended and you will get better gear probably sold for $100 or more. Even though you would not use the tripod much you want something stable and reliable to hold your DSLR. I did a cheap tripod once, 20 years ago, never again. To much vibration from the legs and no confidence in the ball head.
    To expand on my set-up Hammie, I have converted my Manfrotto and (my partners, some friends and various club members) for under $50 each - that is top plate AND L bracket. They work perfectly well. Feel free to pay more if you prefer.
    Always learning.
    My tripod is the Manfrotto 055XPROB. My ball head is the Manfrotto 488RC4. First, the RC4 plate is huge. Second, my Peak Design uses the Arca Swiss style. Last, IMO, it is easier (and cheaper) to change just the mount versus the whole head.

I'm just not sure which brands are the reputable ones and which should be stayed away from. I need to make sure I have something that will accommodate the same M6 screw that my Manfrotto uses.
    As far as I know, there are no bad ones and no good ones. Take a shot at it - buy one they are so cheap that you can just toss them if you can't see how to fit them or don't trust them. I use one of the same plates on my L bracket as the interface to my BR strap and I wouldn't do that if there was a chance it would give up. With regard to the screw, if you choose the right top plate it doesn't matter which thread it uses as you simply re-use your old screw. Note that I assume you are able to engineer solutions to the inevitable small differences there will be between your old top plate and your new one at their interface.
    Always learning.
    If one looks at the photos of the OP on page 1 of the thread, all four of my first conversions are shown. The Sirui monopod head was one I rotated the plate 90.degrees. This was the most difficult as the original plate was difficult to remove.

One can manage almost any of these, but there was some drilling and tapping done.

As to cost, so far the cheapest Sirui look like RRS. And Spraynpray's experience suggests all the cheap stuff is quite good.
    Msmoto, mod
  • danhowldanhowl Posts: 36Member
    edited March 2015
    I'm a bit of a tripod freak. I am more apt to shoot with a tripod than not. Studio, location, wherever. In addition to the stability, I don't think my back and shoulders could put up with hand-holding all of my shoots so that is not even an option.

Call me a rebel, but I really don't like RRS for anything other than plates. I have RRS plates on all of my cameras and even their replacement foot on one of my zooms. For Arca-style adaptor clamps, I like the Kirk Enterprises clamps for about the same price as RRS. I find RRS tripods and ballheads, while certainly fine, a bit over-built at the expense of weight and I am usually down to the pound when it comes time to fly w/ my equipment.

I prefer Feisol carbon tripods (over both RRS and Gitzo, although I have 3 Gitzos of from small to very large). Feisol is lighter than the others size-to-size comparison and cheaper too. I first found them at PhotoExpo in NYC. They also have Ball-Heads in four different sizes. I have one in the smallest size for their carbon monopod. Also have a real Arca-Swiss B1 which is quite elegant. However, my heart belongs to Foba Superball with Arca Quick Release clamp on top. This is the head I rely on day to day. The main thing I like about it is the lever tension release as opposed to dial for super-fast lock/unlock for adjustments. I move it from carbon Feisol to my Cambo studio camera stand. I also just bought a Foba mini Superball which I am waiting for delivery. It might fill in for fly-away travel and the regular Superball for everything else.

http://www.feisol.net
    (no I'm not a shill for them. I just really like their stuff and don't see them discussed much)
    Post edited by danhowl on
    D3X, D800, 17-35, 28-70, Zeiss 55mm OTUS, 85mm Zeiss CF.2, 85mm PCE, 70-200 VRII, 105DC
    Decided on the Desmond DAC-01. $25 on Amazon. I also got the hot shoe bubble level.

Depending on the head, you may have to clean that thread out with a clearance hole and don't forget a drop of thread lock (NOT high strength retainer).
    Always learning.