Arca Swiss Conversions of tripod heads

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Apparently TLT thinks we use Euros in the US.... Or I cannot find the right page on the website. In any case, this looks like a nice piece of equipment, but I can hear the RRS crowd mumbling about the very long center column and stability...LOL.

Is the Brian very stable when used at 2 meters height?
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I don't know Tommie, I only have the Airhead2 Evo 2 ball head with it's 88lb capacity and I never use centre columns to gain height. They are getting good reviews in the UK press for all their kit though. Their tripod came out on top in a recent test I glimpsed.

For sure it may not be RRS standard, but they are way better than the price they are pitched at.
    Always learning.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    I just completed my last hardware mods so we are all RRS clamps now, but not all RRS ballheads and tripods. Locktite and careful fitting of some manfrotto gear, along with the right adapter plates. We're all done now and making macro images of component damage is a lot easier.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited February 2014
    Just bring this topic back due to this article by our friends over at Photography Life. It may help those that have heard the term but are not sure what it is all about. Good, clean info.

What is Arca-Swiss Quick Release System?
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • NukeNuke Posts: 64Member
    I know this is an old thread but I thought, I'd add my experience.

I converted my heads to arca-swiss but I wanted to keep some compatibility with my Manfrotto RC2 stuff. Most of the heads were Manfrotto. I used the Desmond clamp that does both. This is the clamp;
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GVCYWY6

And you need the boss adapter for many heads;
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H5BSIZ6

You can buy both as a kit off ebay;
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/201000198110?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I think Sunwayfoto sells a like clamp. I hope this might help others trying to make the jump.
    @Nuke

Yes, these are quite versatile. I actually have so many of the Manfrotto plates, I obtained some of the above so as to make various mounts for flash, light modifiers, small tables, clamps, etc. all which could easily be brought into a set using the old Manfrotto plates as connections.
    Msmoto, mod
    I seem to have a few of the plates also. I'm still using RC2 stuff on some cameras/lenses. It's not a terrible system. Actually this is my second swing at things. I had a mismash of stuff and then I converted them all to RC2. After understanding the advantages of arca-swiss, I've converted again but this time I'm moving slower with the full conversion.
    The real advantage of having the ARCA Swiss plates is in the universal application across lenses, bodies, etc. My problem with Manfrotto was all the different plates, and after converting the issue has disappeared. My suggestion to anyone beginning the acquisition of equipment would be to start with a universal system such as ARCA Swiss, even though the price initially is more. Ultimately the cost is less, and the peace of mind from not worrying about what goes where is very nice.
    Msmoto, mod
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    I would say, buy whatever you want (RRS preferably :) - than you don't have to buy twice) and convert it to Arca Swiss - this will allow you to save some $$$ at the beginning. Personally, I'm using a mix of RRS, Wimberley, Kirk and an Arca-Swiss converted (using Wimberley clamp) Manfrotto.
    As I recall, with my Manfrotto heads, I had three different plate systems. There was RC2, RC4 and something else. It seems to me, not all heads offer all the plate systems. I felt kind of bad when I converted RC4 to RC2 but that was the easiest move for me.

Manfrotto doesn't make bad hardware but it would be nice if arca-swiss was offered.
    Yebbut they do offer Arca-compatibility with one of their many interchangeable plates, but the reality of it is that it doesn't work as it should. I converted my Manfrotto to Arca via aThree-Legged-Thing Airhead 2 which is pretty good but I converted my mates Manfrotto head with a cheapo ebay arca plate and that is better.
    Always learning.
    edited May 2014
    Yebbut they do offer Arca-compatibility with one of their many interchangeable plates, but the reality of it is that it doesn't work as it should. I converted my Manfrotto to Arca via aThree-Legged-Thing Airhead 2 which is pretty good but I converted my mates Manfrotto head with a cheapo ebay arca plate and that is better.
    I'm aware of the plate and I'm aware of the issues with the plate. The plate was not available when I purchased my heads and AFAIK it is not sold on any new heads. Maybe something has changed? If not, then your forced to buy a head with one of their plates and pay an additional cost to convert.

If one is forced into that situation then you might as well look around for either a cheaper, better or possibly both, source. Manfrotto does not seem to be in a real "arca-swiss" mind?

Post edited by Nuke on
    Save the headache and go with RRS. :)
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    +1 what Golf said.

The quality from RRS is outstanding. Never hear of anyone having a compatibility issue with their products.

When I went to ARCA I got some from Kirk and RRS. After using and looking at both I sold the Kirk plate used on my 70-200 F2.8 and bought the new lower RRS foot for the lower profile. Great decision.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited May 2014
    I was wondering how long it would be before this degenerated into the usual RRS roadshow....

8-| :))
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    Wait, it is still not an RRS roadshow…..LOL

While the idea of RRS is great, it is very dependent on what one has to spend. The clamps, which is what we are talking bout there are available from many manufacturers, and IMO for about half the price one can get one which will work just as well as the RRS. One exception is the RRS lever clamp is so nicely designed and constructed it is a real pleasure to use.

On one conversion I could have saved myself hours of work if I would have purchased the RRS as I wanted the tilt from front to back and the moving of the top clamp was a nightmare, whereas with the RRS i could have purchased the one which is easily rotated and saved a lot of grief. Might still do this some day.

Arca Swiss Conversion

But, if funds are unlimited, RRS is simply the very best.
    Msmoto, mod
    If you like to spend money, Hejnar Photo makes some really fine hardware.
  • HvalHval Posts: 110Member
    edited May 2014
    Msmoto,

I also have the Manfrotto 322RC2 ducks beak head. I am not a fan of it any more. I find it, and ball heads a right pain in the bum when I am trying to carry out macro photography or bird photography. I find it really difficult to track things with it as well.

My problem is that photography is a hobby and I do not make money at it. I do not get paid loads of money in my job so I am not able to afford as much as I would wish. If I could I would be purchasing the Arca Swiss C1 Cube along with some RRS macro rails (B150-B Ultimate Pkg: Two B150-B Rails). Would also need the plates and what have you so that lot would come to over £2,000 (and the rest) by the time delivery, taxes and duties are paid. I think my wife would kill me. Particularly when I am trying to let her allow me to purchase the Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM at £1,300 ($2,200). Eeek! I have just looked at the price of the C1 Cube in the UK. It is over £1650 ($2800). In the US the C1 cube is $1699 at B&H.

So..... Lens first, followed by Arca Swiss C1 cube I suspect.

Edited with cost data for C1 Cube.
    Post edited by Hval on

Cheers,

Hval

Owner of an extremely high quality Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth
    Cost me £10 and a half hours ingenuity to convert my friends tripod to Arca. My Strap, double strap, monopod,and macro bracket - £10 each to convert. I'd like to have used the RRS clamp head, but how much would that have cost - 5 x ?
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited May 2014
    New head, and plates from RRSS? $500-600 (so £300-350) would be my guess.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    PB_PM,

Unfortunately, in the UK they take the $ price and quickly change it to a £ sign instead. An example is the cost of the C1 cube I quoted above.

When anything gets sent from outside the UK you end up paying customs and excise for it.

Cheers,

Hval

RRS only ships from the states, so I'm assuming you'd just pay the exchange rate.
    edited May 2014
    PB_PM,

Followed by shipping costs, customs duty and then 20 tax (VAT) on top of that. The customs duty varies from 5% to 85% of the value of the goods. So an item costing $100 in the states can end up costing $250 or so in the UK.

So very, very expensive.

I have just found out that when they do the calculations they include the shipping cost and the cost of insurance. So $250 will in fact be a lot more than that.

This means that the more expensive C1 Cube (made in Europe) could end up being the same price as a BH-55 head made in the States.

EDIT
    Well done Really Right Stuff. They actually know the UK duty rate and commodity code (which is more than me). The rate is 3.70% when for personal use. Phew. Oh yes, there is an additional fee on top of that lot. The delivery company charge £13.50 for the pleasure of clearing your goods through customs.

I also forgot the cost of currency exchange on top of that.
    Post edited by Hval on

Cheers,

Hval

I was unable to find the link that AdamZ posted, but if I recall correctly there was a European reseller that one could buy RRS from. If some has that link please posted here.
    edited May 2014
    PB_PM,

Followed by shipping costs, customs duty, [taxes, brokerage fees].
    Yup, that's kind of expected. Regardless there is no special UK fee for the product itself. I pay the exchange rate, shipping, duty, taxes and brokerage fees if I import RRS gear into Canada too (not that I do, since I don't use anything made by RRS). The product itself costs the same (plus or minis exchange rate), anything else is taxes and shipping costs, which is something RRS has no control over. You'd be paying the same, if not more, if a local dealer carried the product (overhead), so it's still less expensive to simply import it yourself.
    Post edited by PB_PM on