Nikon D610 discussion

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The D610 is shipping and stores have it in stock, as of yesterday. Frankly I'm surprised that the first tech nerds haven't already knocked off a few thousand exposures just to check.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Photographliife put 10,000 on it. Glad Nikon is back on the right path in their production process.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    I wouldn't take one camera as an effective sample. Peter mentioned on the blog that early adopters are also reporting no dust issues so far. Right now, even though it is very early, this is a good sign.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,710Member
    I am sure Nikon bent over backwards on this one to avoid getting hit with the same complaints.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Amen....I am sure Nikon bent over backwards on this one to avoid getting hit with the same complaints.

When is someone going to tear down a D600 and D610 to disclose the shutter mechanism?
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • smadmansmadman Posts: 38Member
    I'm certainly not going to be the first in line to get one...I'm going to wait until @roombarobot gets his, and see how *that* works out! ;-)
  • newfoundlander61newfoundlander61 Posts: 26Member
    If all goes well with this newest body release my my plan is to pick one up along with the newest 80-400vr.
    @newfoundlander61: good combo. :-bd
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    One of the concerns I see over and over is frames per second. I own a D4 and shoot motor sports (auto and motocross) and rarely use burst mode to capture photos. I don't understand how this one thing could even be a topic of discussion. If, you are basing your decision on "fps" maybe stop and think about how often you even need to shoot 100 frames in 10 seconds. My guess is never for most photographers. I'm guessing most just want the bragging rights. "Mine shoots more than yours." Just my opinion.....
    @autofocus: well put. It is nice to know that our D4's have that feature, but it was NOT the reason I went with it.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    As to the FPS...I use the "burst mode" for getting the exact moment I want in shooting motorsports. Often, at slower shutter speeds to grab the shot with crisp detail at 1/250 sec, my panning technique is not as good as I would like and I have several frames not razor shape. So, a burst of 5-8 frames. Sometimes in portraits, a short burst grabs an expression and catches eyes fully open.

With "incidents" in motorsports...push and hold is my method. One never knows what is going to happen. But, I am guessing, 2 seconds is usually the maximum time for a burst as it is all over very quickly. And, at 6 FPS, my guess is one will get pretty much the same as I will shooting at 8 or 10 FPS.
    Msmoto, mod
  • In Holland the today price of the D800, is 2135.- euro and from the D610, 1969.- euro.
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
    edited November 2013
    Okay, here is some information I have definitely been waiting for:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/11/07/roger-cicala-gives-nikond610-a-clean-bill-of-health

or save yourself a click, and go directly to the heart of the matter:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/11/d610-initial-dust-assessment

This is *much* more convincing than the postings over at PhotographyLife, IMHO.
    Post edited by smadman on
    Hi folks, I went down to B & H yesterday, and got to play with a D610 that was out on the Nikon display booth. No real surprises if you're already familiar with the D600 -- it's the same camera, by and large -- but there was one big disappointment: the "quiet continuous" shutter mode. I'll admit that it sounds DIFFERENT, but I don't think anyone could honestly claim that the shutter is quieter in any kind of significant way than the normal continuous modes. I can't imagine that it would allow someone to go unnoticed in any situation where the normal shutter sound would be unwelcome. I also played around with a Canon 6D, and found that its quiet shutter mode was far far quieter, and would probably be quiet enough to actually make it fairly unobtrusive in a sensitive setting. I'm still planning to pop for a D610 at this stage (now that it's been given a clean bill of health), but I thought that was definitely a point worth noting.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    Still haven't decided if I move to FX through D610. I would like to buy the D800 and a few lens but the price tag is very high compared to DX cameras.
    You have to decide if the extra pixels for stills and being able to change the aperture in video without fussing around is worth $999. That's basically what it comes down to.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I have decided NOT to get the D800 now. I am stretching my (non-existent) budget to get one as it is, but then it is large CF cards, new PC (or mac @-) ) and it just goes on.

My decision now is D610 or D7100 - same file size, better low noise by two stops (D7100 over D7000) would be even better with the D610, but I'd have to keep the D7000 as a backup (because I do weddings now) and so can't sell the lenses to subsidise a 24-120 f4 etc. etc. I think the D7100 makes most sense. No doubt you will all say GO FX but then you don't have my budget!
    Always learning.
    @spraynpray: I certainly wouldn't say go FX unless you have a specific reason to -- I think the DX cameras represent a more mature product and are generally a better buy. In my case, for example, most of what I do is landscape work....meaning I use wide-angle lenses a lot. In order to keep what I had with film, I would need to buy very expensive lenses. Couple that with the price of a new body, and now you're talking the price range of an FX body. So for ME, it makes some sense to go with FX.

And of course, you're right to consider compatibility issues. If you use Lightroom 4, you'll have to upgrade to LR 5 in order to use the D610. If you're constrained to OS X 10.6.x (for various other reasons) like I am, it means having to upgrade OS versions, since LR 5 needs OS X 10.7 or greater. So sometimes something as simple as buying a new camera can have huge repercussions in your underlying support infrastructure. It's a huge pain in the butt.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited November 2013
    Welcome smadman and nicely said.

spraynpray..like your justification. Every photographer has to look at the budget, what you have to sell and buy, what you shoot, and what makes sense FOR YOU. You will find the D7100 to be an excellent tool. Good luck.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    @smadman: Exactly. I will go to LR5 for the cloning tool improvement but the rest will cope with a D7100 ok (just).
    Always learning.
    Has anybody out there actually bought a D610 yet? I'd love to hear some experiences of the readers here.
  • NRandallNRandall Posts: 10Member
    My D610 arrived last week and it is fantastic. Its a great companion 'big brother' to my D7000, as the two have much in common. I took it out for a spin a couple of days ago on a tourist bus tour of Kangaroo Island, an hour or so south of where I live. It was new territory, the day was rushed with getting on and off every hour, so I decided first time out just to relax, use the Scene modes and change lenses as necessary. The images were consistently good and at least half the time the automatic scene settings worked just as they should. The weather was quite varied, as was the scenery and subjects, from landscapes, family portraits and wildlife and everything was easy. I look forward to getting into it in more depth soon.
    @NRandall: glad to hear you're happy with it. Have you checked your pix closely for any signs of the dreaded sensor crud that we all associate with the D600?
    Thumbs up for the D600/610 sensor in low light 6400 ISO - brilliant.
    Always learning.
  • NRandallNRandall Posts: 10Member
    edited November 2013
    I have had my new D610 now for just over a week and all I can say so far is that I am very happy. No dust or crud after the first actuations anyway. Luckily for me my dramas with the D600 eventually translated into the new model. I hope to post more as I learn more. One thing I can say is that it works really well as a companion to the D7000, with the similarity of sensors and function, most of my D7000 learning translates well to its bigger brother. The D7000 on the other hand was a bigger leap from the D90 I was using before. One thing I have not tested is the exposure compensation comparison - the niggling issues withe D7000 finding the right exposure I have yet to resolve completely. I have not shot enough yet with the D610 to say. - This is from the first day out with the D610 and 300mm F4 handheld and cropped. Kangaroo Island Sea Lion sanctuary.

To The Moderator - should we be posting threads like this under the old D600 etc sub forum? I had forgotten about my comments here and finding nothing over there I nearly started a redundant thread.
    Post edited by NRandall on