D300s Successor-D400, what and when

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Just an idea:
    If Fuji were to release a DSLR with the body of the D300 (F-mount) and the sensor (and the features that the sensor carries) from an X1-Pro (or X100s) would you be interested?
    Yup! I still have my s5pro (D200 Body).. works great !

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

As we have been waiting for a long long time for the D300s replacement, my expectations keep going up. Nikon is going to have to produce something which is really spectacular to compete.

In summary, all the D7100 features, D800 body, native Iso increased to 12,800, 8-9 FPS at full resolution. Without these, I cannot see the point of a D400...
    Msmoto, mod
  • 1skully1skully Posts: 37Member
    Msmoto said:
    As we have been waiting for a long long time for the D300s replacement, my expectations keep going up. Nikon is going to have to produce something which is really spectacular to compete.

In summary, all the D7100 features, D800 body, native Iso increased to 12,800, 8-9 FPS at full resolution. Without these, I cannot see the point of a D400...

+ 1 and hopefully soon.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,706Member
    This summer or fall.
  • adsads Posts: 93Member
    Anyone see Thom Hogan's predictions for the D400?

Basically 24mp, 10fps D800 with a big buffer.

He also throws in a few more speculative predictions like built in wifi, GPS on sensor supplemental focus and an electronic shutter mode for 15 fps with autofocus.

The last ones may be a bit speculative, but I think 8fps is probably more realistic, even if only from a marketing perspective, 10 may cannabalise D4 sales - but we can dream :-)
  • KuvKuv Posts: 55Member
    Anyone see Thom Hogan's predictions for the D400?

Basically 24mp, 10fps D800 with a big buffer.

He also throws in a few more speculative predictions like built in wifi, GPS on sensor supplemental focus and an electronic shutter mode for 15 fps with autofocus.

The last ones may be a bit speculative, but I think 8fps is probably more realistic, even if only from a marketing perspective, 10 may cannabalise D4 sales - but we can dream :-)
    I don't think anything would cannibalise D4 sales. Any pro willing to fork out 6k won't settle for DX. After all this time all of the mentioned seems plausible.
    I wonder how they would get 15 FPS with autofocus....unless they have some new technology not found on the D4.
    Msmoto, mod
    "I wonder how they would get 15 FPS with autofocus"

The 1 series can do that now - Thom was saying they might add phase & contrast autofocus to the D400 sensor like the 1 series. Sure its possible I guess, but more likely they'd put that in a flagship (ie D4s?) first.

I think a fair bit of what Thom was saying comes under the "THIS must be why its taken so long to release the D400". Given the length of this thread I don't think a D400 would need to be that revolutionary to sell in the numbers Nikon wants - extremely happy to be proven wrong though :-)
    @ads

Yes, I think Nikon must be doing something with the D400 which will take it out ahead of all the other crop sensor cameras. If you look at some of my previous comments on this thread and on a mirrorless camera thread, you will see I am thinning a non-mirror body, crop or full frame, will be the next break through for the small format imaging market.

And, it is precisely the issue of continuous AF without a mirror, the lack of perfection in this area, which is holding things back. Phase detection or in simple terms, creating an electronic wide based rangefinder, is "still on the drawing board" for a body without a mirror. When this works like it does on the pro bodies, then we will have the new era of digital small format cameras.

As you pointed out...the D4s...I like this...may be the first...or D5?
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    ...and all for $2300 right?
    Always learning.
    @spraynpray

Yup cost is why I think if we get a D400 it'll be pretty conventional - Nikon need to keep margins healthy at the moment.

The #1 criticism of the D7100 (for me anyhow) is the buffer - the D800 buffer in 1.2 crop gives about 25 shots at 25mp (37 12 bit compressed) - use the same body, buffer and electronics as a base (like the D600/D7100 relationship), up the frame rate to 8fps and then modify that to suit a DX sensor.

To my mind, that would be the cheapest and easiest way to give D300s users the replacement most are looking for. Price is the issue - D600-D7100 is $500, a similar relationship between the D800 and D400 would put it at $2500, maybe a little cheaper given the extra cost of the D800 sensor.

Love for the D400 to a) exist and b) to break new ground tech-wise, but I doubt it, unless Nikon have a 36mp DX sensor up their sleeve or something...
  • SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    Im still of the mind that the replacement for the D300/s will be the same replacement for the D700 that many don't feel they got out of the D800. A merger of sorts. And I'd guess the exact same price as the D800. :]
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
    I think in Nikon's mind they made 2 followups to the D700 - the D600 for those looking for the cheapest way into full frame, and the D800 for those who want a more full on full frame - but obviously there are a lot of still unhappy (and very vocal!) D700 owners out there that wanted something different.

I get the feeling from the range of desires on this thread that similarly no matter what Nikon do with a D400 (if such a beast is ever released) there will still be a number of people waiting for the D300s replacement *they* were looking for...

But it would be a DX, not a D700 replacement - Nikon already make a high fps large buffer FX camera - its called a D4...
    The D700 really hit a sweet spot with buyers and they wanted more of the same in its replacement, but newer and better (!). Maybe hindsight will help them realise that is what they got really. I mean, what could they expect - low mP or no video? How many would that have sold. I think Nikon got it right and quality issues to one side I hope they amaze us with the D400 - whatever it turns out to be. I hope the buyers of the D400 don't all yell 'No,no,no - I wanted blah and blah not blah and blah!' when it is finally launched. Or if Nikon really hit the ball out of the park that they don't squeal about a $2500 + accessories starting price tag.

It must be soon, I can taste it.....
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    If Nikon were to give everyone the spec they seem to be asking for; I believe the cost would would come close to $2,500

The very big advantage of a Dx system is its cheaper
    producing a DX camera close to the cost of a Fx, completely removes its advantage

so if you want a cheap fairly high spec camera get a D7100

if you want a really high spec camera get a D800 or D4

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited April 2013
    I continue to enjoy reading this forum and leave a few comments on what I want in the D300 replacement. Regarding price I honestly believe that half of the buyers will not be happy with the price but that will not stop them from buying the D400. Once they see what they are getting for the money they will complain but that won't stop them from buying. Nikon and Canon understands their buyers and they won't think twice about setting the price. I don't expect it will be as low as $1,800 nor as high as $2,600; it will fall some where in between these numbers.

When will it be announced? My projection...the replacement will be announced in August or September 2013 with deliveries in October. My D300 will be 6 years old in November and I would love to replace it before it's birthday.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    @Photobug

Price..I agree...maybe in the low $2,000's. Announcement...I am laughing as last year we were saying the same thing...a few months before Photokina, then Photokina, then late November....it went on and on... :))
    Msmoto, mod
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    @Photobug

Price..I agree...maybe in the low $2,000's. Announcement...I am laughing as last year we were saying the same thing...a few months before Photokina, then Photokina, then late November....it went on and on... :))
    we were saying the same thing 2 years ago too I think :-)

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Price? Well, if it isn't going to be more than the D300/D300s (D700 body with DX sensor) why should it cost more than they did? D300 was $1800 USD. D300s was $1700 USD. D7000 was $1200. D7100 is $1200. Look at the pattern: with each new generation Nikon has been providing more features for the same price point. If the D400 is just a DX sensor in a D800 body why should Nikon not keep the same price point? This would put the D400 at $1800 to $1900 or up to $2000 if Nikon adds $100.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Donaldejose, understand your logic on pricing but 5 years of inflation and the new technology results in a higher price. Plus volume plays a part in the pricing and we are looking at more money. I really believe that the D400 will out sale the D7100 but would not be surprised if Nikon has it the other way around. Knowing that Nikon is NOT meeting it's sales volume I expect all future DSLR bodies above the entry level are going to face price increases.

My bet it will fall into the range of $1,800 to 2,600 and hope its not above $2,200. The hard core photographers are going to pay what ever it cost because we want the features and technology. The above average photographers are not going to pay more than a few hundred dollars more than the D7100. So volume will dictate pricing. If the D400 goes into back order because Nikon under estimated demand, like they did on the D300, after six months we will see nice rebates.

Still expect to see the announcement in late August or September. If it's before that, I will be surprised.

That is my two cents.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Photobug: Yes, but time and inflation were factors in the models above and Nikon still held the price line on them.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited April 2013
    The big advantage the D300 had over the D700 was price
    The big advantage of Dx has always been price
    it is difficult to see Nikon Marketing being able to sell a Dx camera for more than an FX
    so IF and I feel it is a very big IF, Nikon do bring out a D400 it will be priced between the D7100 and the D600
    but personally, I think they are going to have a hard time producing a camera, with all hyped spec every one would like below $2000
    to put it another way, sorry guys, No D400. At least not with everything, you lot want
    Just MHO
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
    Well seven, you are consistent at least!

I believe you are wrong on nearly all points though because the D600 is an entry level FX against a pro level DX - I am sure the build quality and high specs will cost more than the FX sensor in a basic spec body and electronics, and of course there will be a D400 as there will be a Canon equivalent. Where you are right is that it will not have everything that the posts here said it will - whatever the cost. That is my opinion, it will be really interesting to see what happens eh?
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited April 2013
    I'm with @spraynpray on this one. There is no reason to believe there will not be a D400. A $1999-$2099 (depending on the region) entry level FX body should have no impact on whether there is a D400 or not. If the D400 comes in at $1899, which I believe it will, then street price will fall to around $1799, if sales are soft, which I doubt they will be.

Nikon knows that people want a high end DX body, and if they don't want to loose market share to Canon, they'll make it. I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon sells more D400's than D600's, unless there are quality control issues.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
This discussion has been closed.