D300s Successor-D400, what and when

Comments

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,691Member
    I don't know what the high ISO ability of the D400 will be but I do hope it is better than the D7100 sensor. That being said I keep seeing very impressive photos from the D7100 sensor on this thread at Nikon Cafe:

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=355058

Here is one of them:

original

These photos make me want to go out and get a D7100 and stop waiting for a D400.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @ads: "There's actually a pretty comprehensive discussion on it on the ISO thread - counterintuitively there is virtually no difference in ISO performance between any of the current generation FX sensors when they are viewed at the same size as the downsizing process eliminates the differences in noise (though obviously if you want to go above 25600, the only option is a D4). On that basis I doubt a *current generation* 12mp FX sensor would be any less noisy than a D800 downsampled to 12mp. "

That is not the same thing as having a lower mp sensor in the first place.
    Always learning.
  • adsads Posts: 93Member
    "That is not the same thing as having a lower mp sensor in the first place. "

It produces virtually the same result when the resulting image is viewed at the same size (I found it counterintuitive as well at first). I think Thom Hogan was the first to point out that a D800 shot resized to match a D4 produced virtually indistinguishable results at the same ISO on his website.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Regardless of what the current higher resolution sensors are doing, a low resolution sensor with a lower pixel pitch could, in theory perform even better. In order for the higher resolution sensors on the market to perform the way they do the sensor makers had to improve the pixel level performance, and if you applied that same technology to a lower resolution sensor, it is highly likely a similar, or more likely, greater improvement would be seen.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • KuvKuv Posts: 55Member
    Say you have a 4×4 grid of pixels instead of a 2×2 grid of the same size. This means that the 4 smaller pixels get as much light as does one larger pixel. By what theory would, then, the larger pixels have better low light performance?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited April 2013
    If you carry your line of thinking, then why do FX sensors out perform DX sensors of the same MP count? Why do compact cameras not match DX sensors. Basically your logic if flawed.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Because they occupy different physical sizes @PB_PM - a larger sensor will always catch more photons overall at a given ISO/shutter speed et al. The point is that while individual pixels may have more variation on a higher resolution sensor when the shot is downsized for output this noise is masked.

Its been discussed at some length at http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/814/top-nikon-high-iso-performers-for-dx-and-fx-#Item_61
    edited April 2013
    ads said it.

Bigger sensor catches more light. A smaller number of pixels (but same physical size) catches the same amount of light.

By your logic the D4 should trash the D800 in high ISO, yet it barely has a 1 stop advantage
    Link
    Post edited by Kuv on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited April 2013
    By your logic the D4 should trash the D800 in high ISO, yet it barely has a 1 stop advantage

The D4 will be a compromise between having a good high ISO and producing decent dynamic range at the lower ISO values
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
    The D4 will be a compromise between having a good high ISO and producing decent dynamic range at the lower ISO values
    Why would one compromise the other? Do you think that there is something they do that raises high-ISO performance but lowers DR and vice versa? If so, why do you think that?
    edited April 2013
    Most medium format cameras have poor high ISO performance. I am told, this is because they are optimised for high dynamic range, at low ISO values
    I guess if the D4 was optimized for high ISO performance the quality at the lower values might suffer

but there are others on the forum, who seem to understand this better than me
    Looking photo rumors. It seems you guys may get what you from Pentax
    In the day of film, iIthink Pentax provided a better value for money prosumer camera then Nikon
    may be they will do that again
    edited April 2013
    Looking photo rumors. It seems you guys may get what you from Pentax
    In the day of film, iIthink Pentax provided a better value for money prosumer camera then Nikon
    may be they will do that again
    Depends what you need. I used a friend's K5 once. Two things I can't accept about it: tiny grip and terrible flash sync speed. IQ was nice, but those are deal breakers for me.
    I'm not looking for good value. I'm looking for something good enough.
    Post edited by Kuv on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    And, the topic is....D300s Successor-D400, what and when
    Msmoto, mod
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,691Member
    And the answer is: Terrific, best DX ever and Soon !!!!!!!!
  • Audiobuff007Audiobuff007 Posts: 1Member
    Shooting a D300s for nearly 12 hours this past weekend, I've realized the auto focus system is definitely behind the current scope of tech today. I would like to see most if not all the "pro" capability with new body perhaps a D400, however seeing a chart on Nikon Rumor's buyer's guide indicating that the D7100 would be the replacement for the D300s, which would not be the case at all, and very obvious in my opinion. So really the D400 would maintain a higher frame rate hopefully beyond 7fps pushing closer to 9 maybe 10, pc sync, auto focus mode selector, quicker auto focus, and not to mention adopting the newer sensors with a wider range of ISO, and a small upgrade to 16.2 megapixels, etc, etc..
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Over the past 8 days, I have taken 3,070 pictures on my D300. Granted 1,552 of these were taken at a Photo Workshop and the rest on vacation. I can truly say the D300 continues to perform consistently and feels so great in my hands. I wish Nikon would get on with it and introduce the D300/D300S replacement. Please.

My requirements have not changed, here they are in no particular order:
    ++20-24 MP
    ++7 to 9 fps
    ++improved AF
    ++improved noise level at high ISO settings
    ++larger grip like the D4, D800...not like D600 and D7100
    ++reasonable priced battery grip..not like the D800
    ++improved LCD image that matches the quality that Canon DSLR have
    ++DX sensor
    ++Better processor than D7100 or same with high speed rate

Cash in hand and ready to order as soon as it is announced. I just want to help Nikon meet their sales goal for this year.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited April 2013
    And, the topic is....D300s Successor-D400, what and when
    The d400 will be announced in spring 2015

It will have a DMC (dual mode sensor) with VMP ( variable mega pixels ) range 10 -50 mp

The the optional battery pack / grip, will cost more than the camera. The grip with have built in GPS and AWC (advanced wireless connectivity )

At the same time, Nikon will bring out new ultra wide and mid range, , fixed aperture, vr4, pro dx zooms

needles to say there will anew thread "when will get a real D300 replacement "

• 1skully1skully Posts: 37Member
    + 1 on Photobugs post with exception to the 20-24 MP, I would be content with the 16 MP range.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    D400.....? If Nikon doesn't do something...maybe leak a rumor....possibly Fuji will come through with more goodies and we will see a gradual migration to a new manufacturer....
    Msmoto, mod
    You know what? I agree with you. A leak would keep our interest peaked and stop lost sales due to impatience.

Even this thread which has spanned two iterations of NR is losing impetus - and who would have thought that was possible!
    Always learning.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    yup.... I am done..
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

+1 MsMoto Especially when you think of how early the leaks started about the D600.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I like many have waited for a D400 more than any other camera. I bought a D7000 and a D7100 while I waited. However price it too high and the DX advantage evaporates completely for me. NO I am not willing to go above $1,800 for a D400 camera. Sales will be high on this camera. The sales on the recently introduced 80-400VR would have been almost twice as high with a more reasonable price.
    edited May 2013
    @DaveyJ: I hope you are right about the $1800 but I doubt it. Your other point; if I did buy an over priced 80-400 and then they put the price down some months later to stimulate sales, that WOULD p*** me off properly. There is no precident for that though is there? $100 rebates is one thing, but not early life price reductions?
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
This discussion has been closed.