D300s Successor-D400, what and when

Comments

• SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    You guys are really clinging tightly to this one. :]
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    No more so than those who cling to the other point of view. ;)
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Here is a photo of a pro who I am guessing is waiting on a D400.

The Rock_04.13.13-11

I think that is a D300s behind her 400mm f/2.8....or so the strap said....
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited April 2013
    You guys are really clinging tightly to this one. :]
    well what are we to do, while we wait for rumors of a D5 or a D900

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    edited April 2013

I think that is a D300s behind her 400mm f/2.8....or so the strap said....
    I thought you were wrong, but then I noticed the control dial had a shimmer to it. :]
    Post edited by SquamishPhoto on
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
    @quamishPhoto

I cheated...took several of her walking down the fence with the strap hanging down...
    Msmoto, mod
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    One of my old friends couldn't wait and got a D800E :-(
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

One of my old friends couldn't wait and got a D800E :-(
    Smart man. :]
    Mike
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Observations: Motor sport event, good light, trackside pass, long lens - apart from faster focus and bigger buffer (which she could have got with a D300s), what would a D400 give her? Higher ISO resulting in faster shutter speed resulting in too little blur?

Could be she is not a member of NR and so doesn't realise the super boost to her results that she could get with a new body.... :))
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • blackfoxblackfox Posts: 48Member
    i think its there ready to launch ,but its not nikon dragging there feet (look at all the new stuff in the last 12 months ) but lapsidasical canon who can't be bothered bringing out anything radical ,my gut feeling says that as soon as canon release the 7d replacement we will shortly after get our long overdue D400 .

its pure and simple marketing ploys ,canon have announced something is due ,nikon are waiting for the move to take place before shooting them down in flames ,BANZAI
    Observations: Motor sport event, good light, trackside pass, long lens - apart from faster focus and bigger buffer (which she could have got with a D300s), what would a D400 give her? Higher ISO resulting in faster shutter speed resulting in too little blur?

Could be she is not a member of NR and so doesn't realise the super boost to her results that she could get with a new body.... :))
    Better dynamic range for one thing. The D300/D300s is really showing it's age in that regard. It's also very slow in 14bit mode (2.5FPS).

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Yep I also agree with PB_PM:
    Nikon knows that people want a high end DX body, and if they don't want to loose market share to Canon, they'll make it. I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon sells more D400's than D600's, unless there are quality control issues.

Sales of the D400 will exceed the D600.

The D7100, D3200, D5200 were released after a few years to replace the older model. The D400 is replacing D300/D300S which is almost 5 years ago so inflation will result in a higher price. I just don't see the D400 selling for under $2,000. I expect $2,200 area.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Also agree with PB_PM again:
    "its pure and simple marketing ploys ,canon have announced something is due ,nikon are waiting for the move to take place before shooting them down in flames ,BANZAI "

I am a dedicated Nikon user and not sure I can root for Canon. The logic is good. Can you see all the Nikon users rooting for Canon to update their 7d?

I have talked to three Nikon sales representatives over the past year and you can sure tell they have been brained washed by Nikon to not talk about any new models. When you hear the same comment by all three years you know they have been trained NOT to talk about replacement cameras.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |

Better dynamic range for one thing. The D300/D300s is really showing it's age in that regard. It's also very slow in 14bit mode (2.5FPS).

my d300s fires like a machine gun in raw 12 bit ,and gives super image quality ,yes it is slower in 14 bit mode ,but i don't need that extra quality for what i do ,preferring the extra speed to capture the action .and to be honest if i hadn't of read this i would not have even bothered to check it .so thanks for the heads up ,your never to old to learn something new
    I was on the Nikon USA website twice in the past five days running DSLR comparisons and both times I got a pop-up notification asking if I would like to fill out a survey on the Nikon web site. Said yes both times and both times on the very last questions it asked what improvements I would like to see on the web site and in both cases I left a suggestion for improvement and then wrote two long paragraphs asking about the Nikon D300/D300S replacement. I even emphasis three key points on buffer size, larger body and the number of pictures per second.

My recommendation, go to the Nikon USA web site and do the same. By leaving comments on the D400 we can drive home the importance of this camera and that there is lots of interest in buying the D300/D300S replacement. Wouldn't it be cool if 200 of us loyal D300 users hit their web site asking where is the replacement. Think about it.
    edited April 2013
    I don't see them being impressed with a couple hundred long winded, desperate pleas for a D400. If it wasn't already in the works this would hardly give them the reasons they'd need to produce the camera. And considering that the survey you filled out specifically asked for information about the website and its user functionality, I can't imagine they are even going to read information that isn't relevant to the specified issue. Can you really imagine that the person tasked with reading the thousands of surveys wants to waste their time with off topic nonsense about mythical cameras?
    Post edited by SquamishPhoto on
    Mike
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    "it asked what improvements I would like to see on the web site"

I read that as the survey company will only pass back information related to the topic they asked for comments on. If you want to stand any chance of feeding back info write to Japan.

Or maybe Santa... ;)
    Always learning.
    edited April 2013
    My understanding of most surveys is they are conducted by outside companies. The feedback is primarily for Nikon to use to generate more profits. And much of the feedback to Nikon may be highly edited to where the emotional issues of such as a D400 are condensed down to almost nothing.

The D400 is most likely ready for production or even in production but the announcement and release may be driven by marketing as has been suggested.

If one has ever asked Nikon a technical question, the lack of response is almost predictable. They will provide information already published in the manual and nothing else has been my experience. They will not even release the torque specs for the tripod screw....yet any industrial design has this information included.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod

my d300s fires like a machine gun in raw 12 bit ,and gives super image quality ,yes it is slower in 14 bit mode ,but i don't need that extra quality for what i do ,preferring the extra speed to capture the action .and to be honest if i hadn't of read this i would not have even bothered to check it .so thanks for the heads up ,your never to old to learn something new
    Yes, I'm well aware of the D300's speed (since I have a D300/D700). 14bit files have greater dynamic range in post. In some, but not in all situations. It's not a huge difference, but it does show up in low light/high ISO situations where the 14bit files hold more colour.
  • KuvKuv Posts: 55Member
    edited April 2013
    Yes, I'm well aware of the D300's speed (since I have a D300/D700). 14bit files have greater dynamic range in post. In some, but not in all situations. It's not a huge difference, but it does show up in low light/high ISO situations where the 14bit files hold more colour.
    Actually, no. It means more information and not necessarily higher dynamic range. And it's most obvious at lower ISOs.
    Post edited by Kuv on
    as i said guys i only shoot wildlife ,so its the speed i need ,speed of autofocus ,speed of frame rate ,speed of writing to the card .the d300s ticks all the boxes as i use it for MY needs .i now know quality can if needed be improved on to so many thanks to this thread and its huge user base .
  • NikonhotepNikonhotep Posts: 25Member
    I finally broke down and purchased a D7100 to replace my aging (and dying) D300, which means that the D400 should be announced sometime in the next six months. :)
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited April 2013
    I finally broke down and purchased a D7100 to replace my aging (and dying) D300, which means that the D400 should be announced sometime in the next six months. :)
    Please tell us your thoughts regarding the difference between them and how well it does as a replacement for the d300. Thanks.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

starting to think along those lines myself ,my son tried one out today in a local camera shop and we have been playing with the very impressive files tonight ,the only limiting factor for me at the moment is lack of a raw convertor for apeture 3 as although i have cs6 i find it overly complicated for my processing ,although if needed i could learn it .quite surprised after reading reviews on it re-noise how noise free it really is ,yes its there but its manageable ..time to start wheeling and dealing again i think LOL
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited April 2013
    ,the only limiting factor for me at the moment is lack of a raw convertor for apeture 3
    Dare I suggest you try Lightroom ?

Post edited by sevencrossing on
This discussion has been closed.