D300s Successor-D400, what and when

Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited September 2014

Switching does happen.
    Yes when Canon gave him a new contract and all the Canon gear he could dream of, Scott Kelby switched, because he believed Canon was a better system

As other have said. Nikon may be more interested in selling to people buying their first DSLR, than people upgrading from one dx camera to another dx camera. Despite the advantages of DX, Nikon do seem to be encouraging people to start with FX thus avoiding being tempted to buy high quality third party dx glass

I don't think people with an Nikon FX system are very likely to switch back to DX or a 7D2
    Those of with a Nikon D600 are hoping to win the lottery and get a D4s and 800mm f 5.6. not a 7D2

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited September 2014
    I dunno, I love my D610 .. but if a D400 is announced tomorrow that would go right to the top of my buy list and some older gear will be moving out :-)

a D400 and a DF would make a great 2 camera kit ! ie I would restructure my kit and lenses for a D400.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited September 2014
    . but if a D400 is announced tomorrow that would go right to the top of my buy list
    The D400 is our dream camera, it has exactly the right number a mega whatnot's, enough fps and a big enough buffer, it is is precisely the right size and weight, has the correct, controls, buttons, dials and menus. it will available with or without, wi-fi; GPS or a built in pocket wizard
    It will cost exactly how much we will get for old kit plus the money in the NAS kitty

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    If the D400 replacement meets my need/dreams at a price between D610 and D750 I will start saving for it. At the price of the D810 maybe not.
    NEVER going to be at the D810 level, and given that Canon just did the 7D2 at such a low price, IF Nikon do a D400, it must be priced around the same level as the 7D2.
    Always learning.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I will try this again it did not seem to work the first time.

I am not expecting a D810 level of performance. I would pay more than the price of the 7D-II if the performance is higher. I am building a kit before I fully retire and the cash will be much tighter. I wish to shoot with top level DX and FX bodies.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    People had predicted a D400 price around $2,500. Recent developments (D750 for $2,200) indicates that a D400 would be priced less than $2,000; like $1,900 or $1,800. That is still $700 to $800 higher than a $1,100 D7100 so there should be room to spend money adding more features and still price it where the 7DMarkII is priced.
  • Terry7732Terry7732 Posts: 14Member
    I am convinced that the D300s replacement is already in existence with various different options available.
    The D9300 rumour first broke in April this year and since then Nikon have said nothing on the subject, but most importantly they HAVE NOT denied it.
    My guess is that Nikon want to get their hands on the 7DMarkll so that they can run extensive head to head tests before deciding on the final specs for the D300s replacement, thereby ensuring that the Nikon camera is at least equal to, if not better than the 7DMarkll.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Now then @PitchBlack, don't start talking sense, you'll stop the thread in it's tracks :P
    Always learning.
    I am not expecting a D810 level. I am willing to pay more than the price of the 7D-II if the performance is there. Hoping to build a kit before I fully retire and cash will be even tighter. D810 is on the list if I can get it before it is upgraded. I would like to shoot in both DX and FX formats.
    Nor sure how those posts got here.
    edited September 2014
    Now then @PitchBlack, don't start talking sense, you'll stop the thread in it's tracks :P
    Nah.. no chance of that .. when has sense mattered in this crazy thread ..:-)

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

http://nofilmschool.com/2014/09/apertus-axiom-beta-crowdfunding

Cool maybe I can make my own D400 !! :-)

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Based on what can be seen with that project you'd be better off with a D7100.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    .... indicates that a D400 would be priced less than $2,000 ....
    I'm certain this will be the case, as Nikon bodies are very reasonably priced with some strategic exceptions, like in certain unfortunate countries, or Nikon 1 in general. More often, Nikon can be accused for "under-featured" bodies, and over-priced lenses, flashes and accessories.
    Uncertainty is bigger regarding the complete absence of some products, of course. So, IF it happens, the price will be reasonable, IMO.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
    I have never used a CF card but with the new UHS II SD cards it seems that two SD slots would take less space and be just as fast with out any bent pen possibility. Any thoughts on this?
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    I have never used a CF card but with the new UHS II SD cards it seems that two SD slots would take less space and be just as fast with out any bent pen possibility. Any thoughts on this?
    For a D300s successor I would like to see one SD and one CF slot.
    What would the advantages of a CF card be over a UHS II SD card?
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    edited September 2014
    I'd hope now that 7D Mk.2 is reality and just look how long it took Cannon to release 7D successor? I'm sure Nikon will respond with D400/D7200 or D9300 whatever the final number is I'm sure they'll pull the covers off the prototypes of D300 sucessor in Nikon's R&D lab just about now.
    Post edited by nukuEX2 on
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I am guessing Nikon will continue along the Dxxxx route for crop sensor bodies and we will not see a Dxxx replacement for the D300s. I cannot remember Nikon placing a body into its Archives, and not having the replacement for it already on the market. And, the D300s is currently in Nikon's Archived camera list, thus my conclusion is, we must have the replacement in front of us, but simply cannot recognize it.
    Msmoto, mod
    edited September 2014
    I think and hope Nikon do not respond to what Canon do . Simply responding to what you competitors do, might work in the short term but in the long term it is a route to failure .

Nikon need to lead the way ahead

IMHO ( others will strongly disagree ) The way ahead, for serious and professional photographers, is full frame

( just 4 more pages to go and I will shut up)

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    You must have posted by mistake on this thread. We are all DX bigots here, and will forgive this transgression, but only this time. Let us never speak of this FX format again (on this thread anyway).
  • rbrylawskirbrylawski Posts: 222Member
    edited September 2014
    I think and hope Nikon do not respond to what Canon do . Simply responding to what you competitors do, might work in the short term but in the long term it is a route to failure .

Nikon need to lead the way ahead

IMHO ( others will strongly disagree ) The way ahead, for serious and professional photographers, is full frame

( just 4 more pages to go and I will shut up)

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this sentiment in its entirety. You're suggesting we should buy what Nikon wants us to buy. I think company's have some responsibility to build products their customers "want" to buy. Especially when their customers are vocal enough to say what they want.

Apple maintained for the longest time that larger phones were something they would not build. But the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are large phones. And why did they build them? Because their customers wanted them.

Imagine that? A company listening to what their customers wanted and then actually building it so they could buy it. And in return, what did iPhone customers do? They bought them in such record numbers, Apple is virtually sold out. Instead of hanging on their high horse. They are reaping significant profit rewards by making what their customers asked for.

Funny thing, eh?

Post edited by rbrylawski on
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    While I still am a believer in a D400 it is possible we are missing the point. We are looking for a (meaning one) replacement while Nikon may intend to offer many alternative replacements (D7100, D8xxx, D9xxx, D600, D610, D750). Just as the D700 was not replaced by a single body and we are expected to choose between the D600/D610, D800/D810, D750) it may be there will not be an "exact" D300s replacement but rather many different options offering different variations. The only reason I keep believing there will be a D400 is the fact that none of the current options provide sufficient speed (fps, autofocus, buffer, etc) for a sports camera in DX. Within a year I think Nikon will be offering a DX focused on speed. I do think a mini-D4 or a DX D4 type body for under $2,000 would be a huge seller for Nikon. It will need high ISO (usable photos at 6,400 ISO) and speed (8fps, large buffer, etc) and Nikon should produce a DX version of the "holy trinity" for this body. If Nikon doesn't Sigma will.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Four more pages...we are getting close.

Yesterday after shooting the DX750 the thought crossed my mine. This would make a great body for the D9300. Yea I keep saying D9300 because a D400 does not fit the numbering scheme of D3300, D5300, D7100. Although D8000 makes more sense than a D9300 that was rumored months ago...will leave it to Marketing to tell us the model number.

Anyway back to my point. Take the D750 body and use it for the D9300. There is room next to the AE/AF button for the AF button. Size is good, not as big as I wanted (D810) but still a nice size. It has the dust/weather seals, poly carb + metal body and has the built in WiFi. Bump up the fps to 8 fps, you already got Exceeds 4 processor. Control layout is good and the video side is good. They could remove the tilt LCD monitor or leave it on the D9300.

IMHO, they have the body, just replace the FX with DX components. Come on Nikon stop watching Canon and get that top of the line DX body out there and give us a surprise feature that beats Canon.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited September 2014
    You're suggesting we should buy what Nikon wants us to buy.
    No absolutely not

If I wanted a Pro, High spec, DX Camera with 10 fps for only £1599.00 I would pre order a 7D2

but don't need, or even want one

I am very happy with my D800

I do suggest, if someone is looking to buy a new camera, they choose one that actually exists ( Canon or Nikon) rather than wait for a Nikon, that seems to be a figment of imagination with not even a Rumor of its spec, production date or price

This discussion has been closed.