D300s Successor-D400, what and when

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Your right @Sports will not go with pro layout of controls.

+1 manhattanboy - the D7100 is an amazing camera. There is still room for a DX Pro body and I gave up last year. Now that Canon released the D7 MKII...it comes down to numbers. If Canon shooters jump on this and the volume is big Nikon will have to release the D9300/D400 to also have a DX Pro camera. So I am reversing my position but its going to be months before we know if Canon and Nikon shooters buy the D7 MKII.

Hope it happens but who knows.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited September 2014
    It's the DX pro's that Nikon is spitting into their eyes telling them to go to Canon...
    IMHO
    Nikon will be aware; most Nikon Pro's will have invested in a substantial amount in Nikon Glass and are unlikely to jump ship
    Nikon will be aware most Pros do not need 10 fps
    Nikon will be aware the Nikon Pro, who does need 10 fps will have a D3, D4 or D4s
    Nikon will aware the Pro market is dying
    Nikon will aware, a high priority for most pros, good low light capability is a priority and and in low light FX will give better IQ

I believe Nikon are targeting people upgrading from a point and shoot or a smart phone, rather than people with a D300

Sorry, Yes i know, this thread is just the same people saying the same thing again and again

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • anoano Posts: 27Member
    edited September 2014
    I am not sure that NIKON is aware of all you talk about ...
    if NIKON was aware of his customer's need and its market, financial results should not be so bad ... Canon position is actually quite good at the moment ... it is not bad for everybody ...
    Post edited by ano on
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    edited September 2014
    @sevencrossing: You are pretty good at making this a long thread. I you like to add to it maybe you can tell us what Canon is aware of? :)

I find this interview about the Canon 7D Mk II interesting (and I think it relates to the D400):
    Post edited by snakebunk on
    edited September 2014
    I don't know what Nikon or Canon think, I can only guess; which is why I put IMHO
    I do know, a lot of you on this thread, think unless Nikon bring out a D400 they will be following Kodak in filing for the Japanese equivalent of bankruptcy

I hope and think you are wrong

@ snakebunk I cannot play the video so I cannot comment

You are pretty good at making this a long thread

don't worry if the D400 has not come out, by the time we reach p 100; I will shut up

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Gosh in a few more weeks we may be at 100 pages on this thread….. and all about this hypothetical D400, and the spin-offs.

My suspicions are this thread represents our frustrations with Nikon for not giving us what we think we want. And, as it is a place for venting feelings, please, not against another frustrated Nikon devotee, it will continue until some time when we have possibly a decision making statement from Nikon regarding crop sensor bodies.

Once again, my hopes are for a mirrorless crop sensor body with the capabilities similar to the current full frame pro DSLR range. Ahh…. but I can dream…..
    Msmoto, mod

this thread represents our frustrations.................…. but I can dream…..
    For me, this thread is more about dreams than frustration

In my dreams, I can buy a Dx D4s for slightly more then a D7100

(Should we have thread about a Dx 800mm, that is the price of a kit lens )

• SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    I find this interview about the Canon 7D Mk II interesting (and I think it relates to the D400)
    If it's relevant, then maybe you could tell us what he says, @snakebunk, as the video doesn't seem to work.
    And let's keep in mind he's a Canon ambassador.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
    Sorry about the video. He was talking about the thorough process that Canon went through in order to find out what their customers want, and he was talking about the benefits of a dx system. He compared a full frame with a 600/4 to a crop body with a 400/4.

In my dreams, I can buy a Dx D4s for slightly more then a D7100
    We almost share dreams :-)
    I am happy if i costs like a D750.
    edited September 2014

..... I don't understand why they can't publish a road map....
    Well that would kill this thread and probably the whole Nikon rumors web site :)
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    I have a D4, D810, and a V3. I love all of them -- for their individual targets. I do not consider anyone of them to be the ideal travel or all-day-in-the-field camera. I really want something light like the V3 but with the high ISO (for low light) like the D4. So, I keep hoping for the magical, mystical D400.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    I really want something light like the V3 but with the high ISO (for low light) like the D4. .
    The good new is with every new model Nikon seem to increase the high ISO performance and reduce wight
    The big challenge, would be to make a Dx lens as light as a V equivalent
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I have a D4, D810, and a V3. I love all of them -- for their individual targets. I do not consider anyone of them to be the ideal travel or all-day-in-the-field camera. I really want something light like the V3 but with the high ISO (for low light) like the D4. So, I keep hoping for the magical, mystical D400.
    There is only so much that can be done until one bumps up against the cold hard wall of quantum reality. Your ISO wish is well on the other side of that wall.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited September 2014
    Not only the Canon.. but the Samsung NX-1 looks interesting .. maybe the new D400 will be mirrorless after all?

Samsung NX1 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 16-50mm f/2-2.8 S ED OIS Lens

B&H # SANX11650 Mfr # EV-NX1ZZZBQBUS

28.2MP BSI APS-C CMOS Sensor
    DRIMe V Image Signal Processor
    4K Video Recording at 24 fps
    UHD Video Recording at 30 fps
    3.0" 1036k-Dot Tilt-Touchscreen Monitor
    XGA OLED Electronic Viewfinder
    Advanced Hybrid Autofocus System
    205 Phase-Detection AF Points
    15 fps Burst with AF
    Samsung 16-50mm f/2-2.8 S ED OIS Lens

Cool aperture on the DX kit lens! cant wait for the reviews, that new sensor should have the best high ISO in aps-c format. Do you think samsung will sell that sensor to nikon?

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    The Samsung NX-1 looks interesting
    While I would never buy a Samsung body (bad ergonomics, UI, menus, everything related), I agree the specs are worth looking at. Nikon are not like Canon sticking to one sensor. Nikon are most often choosing the best for the job, it seems. So why not use the Samsung or some sister version, if it's as good as you say?
    On-sensor pdaf can always be used for tracking and for liveview, even if Nikon prefers to keep its usual af module as the primary af.
    So, do de think that Nikon are locked at 24Mp or are they ready for higher?
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
    28 mp and 15 fps is amazing. I wonder if Nikon is able to move that amount of data?
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited September 2014
    I personally am waiting for the D7200 with Expeed 4a processing. The D400 if it ever arrives will be priced out of my retired reach. Wish I could have not bought so many large format lens and cameras and put it into a savings account to save up for a new digital Nikon. If they ever do a D400 it WILL sell!!! Seems they are forecasting a mirrorless pro DX Nikon in the future?? I do myself like a camera with a mirror and regular eye viewfinder. Yet here in this family we are buying cameras without them for video at a fairly fast rate. Myself I admit I am only really confident with my meager purchasing power locked into Nikon based on my confidence level.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    If the D400 replacement meets my need/dreams at a price between D610 and D750 I will start saving for it. At the price of the D810 maybe not.
  • anoano Posts: 27Member
    edited September 2014
    sorry, mistake
    Post edited by ano on
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    If the D400 replacement meets my need/dreams at a price between D610 and D750 I will start saving for it. At the price of the D810 maybe not.
    They will not be able to price it greater than the $1800 that Canon has for the 7DM2.
    Basically Canon has set the price bar, and now Nikon has to either match it with a better product or beat that price with a similar product. They must already be able to do either of these things or else they would have blasted a 9300/D400 development announcement to stem the leak to Canon (which they should probably do anyways).
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,705Member
    I doubt Nikon worries too much about "a leak to Cannon" for pro DX body users. D300s users who want to upgrade most likely have some expensive Nikon glass and want to keep using it on another Nikon body rather than switch both bodies and all lenses. The people who have been shooting a D300s and who want to stay DX will not be looking for a pro DX body with one kit lens. They will be into the Nikon system and would more likely switch to a D7100 than to a Cannon so they can keep using their glass, flashes, etc, not to mention the fact that Cannon's IQ is inferior to Nikon's.
  • 1skully1skully Posts: 37Member
    I am willing to pay a little more than the price that the Canon came out at. I just hope the specs are similar. I feel that Nikon is usually better handling noise and hope that continues. I have way to much invested in Nikon to be switching fx and dx.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,705Member
    Nikon is claiming about one stop better high ISO in the D750 compared to the D610. If Nikon can give us about one stop better high ISO in a D400 than exists in a D7100 most people will be very happy with that.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    I doubt Nikon worries too much about "a leak to Cannon" for pro DX body users. D300s users who want to upgrade most likely have some expensive Nikon glass and want to keep using it on another Nikon body rather than switch both bodies and all lenses. The people who have been shooting a D300s and who want to stay DX will not be looking for a pro DX body with one kit lens. They will be into the Nikon system and would more likely switch to a D7100 than to a Cannon so they can keep using their glass, flashes, etc, not to mention the fact that Cannon's IQ is inferior to Nikon's.
    Switching does happen. Remember a lot of people switched for the D800, which has worked out well for Nikon. But things can happen in reverse too. What if Canon releases a new 50+ MP FF camera to compete in IQ, etc.
    Don't get me wrong, I would not easily give up my D7100 for the 7DM2, but for sports shooters the 1DX and 7DM2 look like one hell of a combo.

This discussion has been closed.