Will there Be a Professional DX Body From Nikon?

Comments

• snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    Do it Nikon! The 7d mark II is the current top seller in my store so lack of a market is no argument.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    It is the only bone that has been thrown to a hungry customer base in a few years, so I would expect it to be a top seller for Canon.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited December 2014
    so I would expect it to be a top seller for Canon.
    According Amazon it comes in at No 8
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • rbrylawskirbrylawski Posts: 222Member
    It is the only bone that has been thrown to a hungry customer base in a few years, so I would expect it to be a top seller for Canon.
    True, but it's a good camera all by itself and for those not already invested in Canon or Nikon gear, it's a good choice for someone looking for a great new camera in DX format. And this is where Nikon has missed the boat.

Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Well, I've eaten meat that a good vet could have on it's feet again, so...
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited December 2014
    @Spraynpray, @PitchBlack, @rbrylawski, @WestEndPhoto, @Snakebunk, @sevencrossing - +1
    They have to react with a camera to compete with this model. I hope the question is "When" it will happen and "not if it will happen". A purchasing friend had a phrase that fits this to a "tee"....."JUST DO IT!"
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @sevencrossing

Needs? I am of the opinion that if we have the technology a need will arise. The advantage of a mirrorless over a DSLR is in the simplicity. No mirror to move. Allows more freedom in lens design. I suspect video would be better as well.

I think the demise of the DSLR is coming soon, maybe not while I am around, or shooting photos, but just as the SLR took the lead over the rangefinder, I think the direction we are headed is to mirrorless cameras which can outperform anything currently on the market.

Just my thinking today....
    Msmoto, mod
    edited December 2014
    @sevencrossing

Needs? I am of the opinion that if we have the technology a need will arise. The advantage of a mirrorless over a DSLR is in the simplicity. No mirror to move. Allows more freedom in lens design. I suspect video would be better as well.

I think the demise of the DSLR is coming soon, maybe not while I am around, or shooting photos, but just as the SLR took the lead over the rangefinder, I think the direction we are headed is to mirrorless cameras which can outperform anything currently on the market.

Just my thinking today....
    I suspect you're right about Mirrorless ultimately winning out. I helped a friend recently who wanted a smaller but still takes a great photograph camera and for the money, the Sony A6000 was the best option for his budget. I must admit it takes really amazing pictures. It's DX format with a 24.x megapixel sensor.

I had to have my D7100 replaced recently because the mirror mechanism stopped raising. I wouldn't necessarily be disappointed if a had the capabilities of my D7100 in something that has less moving parts.

Post edited by rbrylawski on
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    In the spirit of this forum you should share the recipes.

....H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    In the spirit of this forum you should share the recipes.

....H
    When asked how I want my steak, I always say "cut off it's horns, wipe its a$$ and bring it in"...
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    What I am attempting to figure out is what Carpaccio, Steak tartare, and Tiger meat have to do with a pro DX........

I do eat all three however, with vengence!
    Msmoto, mod
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The tastiest part of the unicorn is the glitter and rainbows. I might eat the strap of a pro DX when it shows up, but I need the important bits left unmolested.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Between the Bath Formants and the Unicorn cannibals, the NR forum is having a weird day.
    What I am attempting to figure out is what Carpaccio, Steak tartare, and Tiger meat have to do with a pro DX........

I do eat all three however, with vengence!
    I was right there with you UNTIL I realized you said you eat all three. I can certainly go for a nice Carpaccio or Steak Tartare, but you most certainly lost me with tiger...........

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited December 2014
    you most certainly lost me with tiger...........
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_meat
    Fortunately it refers to something a tiger would eat, rather than eating tiger, which while endangered, is not the primary reason not to eat tiger. I bet it would be pretty tough and tasteless, if the taste of felinus domesticus is any indication.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    the NR forum is having a weird day.
    And that means weird based on our normal standards.

... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    This forum has certainly degraded from the mythical Pro Body DX to food. Can someone bring us back on target? :-SS
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    I think this thread is alive because there is a hole the size of Texas in the Nikon camera line. How Nikon can make so many DSLRs and not a top spec dx camera is one of the great mysteries of today.
    This forum has certainly degraded from the mythical Pro Body DX to food. Can someone bring us back on target? :-SS
    Perhaps we should accept after 6 years of prayers the patient is dead
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Perhaps we should accept after 6 years of prayers the patient is dead
    LOL !

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

I think that there will probably never be a pro dx camera from Nikon, at least not a DSLR. But the lack of a pro dx camera is comething that will be there for a long time. It is not a dead horse or a dead patient. It is nothing you have to move on from. It is just a hole that is there, in the product line. Most people don't care but some people do.

edited December 2014
    ....... Most people don't care.......
    which is exactly and precisely why there isn't one
    t

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    I still hope that there will be a pro dx. But the reason Nikon is not making one I believe is a strategic desicion to try to ge enthusiast photographers to buy inexpensive fx cameras instead of high spex dx ones.
    I still hope that there will be a pro dx. But the reason Nikon is not making one I believe is a strategic desicion to try to ge enthusiast photographers to buy inexpensive fx cameras instead of high spex dx ones.
    When did $2000+ become inexpensive?

• retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I am one that just doesn't buy where I can't get what I want. If it can't do what I need it for why would I own it?

Why buy a half ton truck when I takes a one ton to do the job.

I may be a minority but doubt that I am the only one that feels that way.