Will there Be a Professional DX Body From Nikon?

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    @retread - understand. I use to master film cameras quickly, now it takes a while to master these complex DSLR. I maybe old but it just tickles me when our son and daughter (mid 30's) come to me for technical purchases. Seems the "old man" still knows his stuff. I think I surprise them when I take a picture and use WiFi to import a picture to my smart phone so I can post to FaceBook....although I have that ability I don't do that too often.

They say if you keep your mind busy in retirement or near retirement you will live longer. Photography certainly stretches the brain at times. LoL :-)) =))
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member

They say if you keep your mind busy in retirement or near retirement you will live longer. Photography certainly stretches the brain at times. LoL :-)) =))
    I think I am over taxing my mind at times. Got my first DSR (D5100) shortly after they came out. I did not really take off until this spring. Now am getting good glass and looking to add two more bodies, D8X0 and DXXX, when the right one comes along and the cash is there. Now my daughter and I are shopping for a granddaughters first DSLR. Not a big budget but she and her siblings are really getting into photography. She is pushing gramps for who takes the better photo I still am ahead understanding the camera. Well at least until she gets her own.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member

I think I am over taxing my mind at times. Got my first DSR (D5100) shortly after they came out. I did not really take off until this spring. Now am getting good glass and looking to add two more bodies, D8X0 and DXXX, when the right one comes along and the cash is there. Now my daughter and I are shopping for a granddaughters first DSLR. Not a big budget but she and her siblings are really getting into photography. She is pushing gramps for who takes the better photo I still am ahead understanding the camera. Well at least until she gets her own.
    It sucks to get old. Love the challenge you have of keeping in front of your daughter. There are more and more good deals on D3200 & D5200. Just started seeing deals on D5300 so the D3300 deals are probably there. Be sure to check our refurbished bodies. They have a good warranty.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    For what it's worth, I've got a friend who lives in Costa Rica and leads photo tours there (he also sells a lot of work himself). He just picked up a 7D2 and has paired it with a 300 f/4. He's over the moon. Some of the images he's getting are superb.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,715Member
    Notice the 7DMarkII sensor dynamic range is years behind the Nikon D3300.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2ljRc-glN4

Certainly Nikon can produce a better competitor.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited December 2014

Certainly Nikon can produce a better competitor.
    They already have
    overall the D7100 is better and cheaper
    in terms of popularity, the 7d2 does not seem to make page one, on the sites I have searched
    in terms of sales the D7200 will blow it out of the water
    Sales is what Nikon need
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • Nikonsince1974Nikonsince1974 Posts: 78Member
    edited December 2014
    Just my 2¢ but I think that there are enough limitations to DX that it does not seem to make all that sense to make a DX professional level body. Even IF Canon has a "professional" 7D Mk. I know quite a few full time professional photographers and I can count on 1 finger the number who use DX for their work. Some may use them for personal and casual stuff but only one actually uses it professionally.
    Post edited by Nikonsince1974 on
    Nikon F2S w/ MD-2, FE-2 w/ MD-12, Nikkormat FT3, Nikonos V, F4S, D700

16mm f/2.8 Fisheye AIS, 18mm f/3.5 AIS, 24mm f/2.8 AIS, 28mm f/2.8 AI, 28mm f/3.5 and 35mm f/2.8 UW-Nikkors, 35mm f/2.8 AIS, 50mm f/1.4 non-AI (AI’d), 55mm f/2.8 AIS Micro w/ PK-13, 85mm f/1.4 AIS, 80-200 f/4 AIS, 105mm f/1.8 AIS, 180mm f/2.8 ED AIS, 300mm f/2.8 ED-IF AIS, 600mm f/4 ED-IF AIS, TC14B and TC300.

Hasselblad 500CM with PM90 prism finder and A12/A16 backs, 40mm f/4 CF, 60mm f/3.5 CF, 80mm f/2.8 C, 150mm f/4 C and 250mm f/5.6 C lenses
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    My 'professional' DX body is a D810 in DX crop mode giving me 16 mp.

I would sooner buy another D810, or wait it's replacement (the 24mp DX pixel pitch in an FX size will yield 54mp) than a DX body that cannot switch to FX mode.

I see many D300's used at weddings, and with flash, it is clearly 'good enough' for this group thoug I personally aspire to a higher standard, and shoot weddings with a D810 which I occasionally switch to DX mode for long shots.

all of course IMHO.

.... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I think we may be seeing the indicator of something from Nikon..... Now that the Nikon Coolpix A has been reduced from $1100 to $484, it would seem to me this would be an indicator of a DX mirrorless with some advanced features coming. It could be of course that no one is purchasing the Coolpix and they simply want to dump them. Or, Nikon is coming out with a full frame mirrorless, and this would kill the Coolpix as well.

At least we can wish..... :))
    Msmoto, mod
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I have been hoping with the price cuts in the D7100 there is something around the corner to replace it. If it is mirror less I am not interested. I will opt for the D7100 or keep saving fro the D8X0. It may have been upgraded by the time I am finished saving, I hope not mirror less. I just like the SLR and don't want to leave it.
    edited December 2014
    would seem to me this would be an indicator of a DX mirrorless with some advanced features coming.
    The coolpix A has expeed 2 so hopefully a new model would have expeed 4
    even if you buy the existing one, you still have to pay nearly as much again for the viewfinder
    not sure what "profession" features this camera has
    or what USPs a mirrorless would have for a professional

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    edited December 2014
    I never understood why there was a coolpix A when Nikon had the 1 series with all of its iterations (J series, S series, V series, AW series). I doubt there will be a follow up release. Hopefully Nikon will just let coolpix rest in peace.

Nikon would be foolish to pull a Sony and come out with a new DX and FX mirrorless line of lenses as they already are behind Canon in DSLR lenses (where is the 200 2.8? The 400 5.6? the 300 f4 VR? A large aperture pancake? VR stabilized large aperture wide primes?).

Nikon mentioned some time back that they could put a DX sensor in the Nikon 1 series. I think this approach makes the most sense initially... introduce the 1V4 with a DX sensor. That way you get an upgrade to the biggest complaint about the 1 series (the IQ), and also help stem the leaking of Nikon folks to Fuji, Sony, etc.

EDIT: its debatable what the biggest complaint on the 1 series is...IQ or too high of a price.
    Post edited by manhattanboy on
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    edited December 2014
    If D7200/D9300 doesn't matrealize what should I get? I'm leaning toward the D610 or D750 However every indication says the new DX model is in the pipeline and I don't think I'm ready for FX yet, any advice?
    Post edited by nukuEX2 on
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
  • rbrylawskirbrylawski Posts: 222Member
    If D7200/D9300 doesn't matrealize what should I get? I'm leaning toward the D610 or D750 However every indication says the new DX model is in the pipeline and I don't think I'm ready for FV yet, any advice?
    If you don't think you're ready to go FX, then wait until you know what Nikon has up their sleeves, then make your decision.
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    If D7200/D9300 doesn't matrealize what should I get? I'm leaning toward the D610 or D750 However every indication says the new DX model is in the pipeline and I don't think I'm ready for FV yet, any advice?
    If you don't think you're ready to go FX, then wait until you know what Nikon has up their sleeves, then make your decision.
    My main concern is due to cost.
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
  • rbrylawskirbrylawski Posts: 222Member
    My main concern is due to cost.
    For me as well. I'm perfectly happy with my D7100 and my glass for it.

Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
    Lower cost is the primary reason to shoot DX with size/weight a secondary reason. Improved Image quality and about a one stop advantage in low light is the primary reason to shoot FX. There is nothing wrong with being happy with DX. Hopefully we will see some very good DX bodies and lenses introduced next year.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I have the D7100 and the D750. The D7100 will still be in my bag in a couple of years - it's a great body. Of course, if you want a machine gun 7D2 level camera, for sports/BIF, then wait and see what shakes out.

I don't find much difference in the weight of the two bodies I have.

When people talk about low light performance, it depends on the exact level of light. If they are talking about getting high enough shutterspeeds in low-ish light to shoot action, then there may only be one stop low light difference between D750 and D7100 but if they are talking really low light, there is more. In nearly no light whatsoever though, I'm finding there's not so much. Trials continue.

Downsides to D750? For me it is the small top screen due to the (big deal) grip change. Apart from that, price I guess, and the fact that it is coupled with the increasingly disappointing 24-120 VR. If you go the full frame way, I strongly suggest a different lens. I'm sending mine back to Nikon as faulty because it is such a POS. Seriously, if mine isn't a really bad one, they have a nerve selling it in it's current form.
    Always learning.
    edited December 2014
    and the fact that it is coupled with the increasingly disappointing 24-120 VR. If .....Seriously, if mine isn't a really bad one, they have a nerve selling it in it's current form.
    If the lens is getting worse , then there is clearly something wrong and it needs to go back
    several of us, at nrf, use this lens with any problems .
    it is not as sharp as a gold ring prime but then no zooms are
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    If Nikon has in its head the production of a DX Mirrorless, I would hope it has virtually all the capabilities of the D4s in terms of ergonomics, adjustability, and ISO. And, the ability to shoot at possibly 20 or more FPS, predictive tracking AF, most likely between 16 and 24 MP, and of course, the full lineup of "F" mount lenses would fit.

It may be that this will come out with an FX sensor as the cost difference would not be that significant as almost all the other aspects would be very similar. With the quality of the sensors it may be that a 4:5 sensor size, ....mmm... 28mm x 35mm .... makes my mouth water.....
    Msmoto, mod
    And, the ability to shoot at possibly 20 or more FPS, ...
    so apart from doubling the fps what would the advantages be over the D4s
    and who needs 20fps ?
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    @Msmoto: Sounds like a nice camera.

@sevencrossing: I wouldn't use 20 fps all of the time but I can think of situations where it would be useful, for example when shooting a bird taking off.

What I also like about mirrorless is that they are so quite.

I think it is to late for a pro dx dslr, but a high end mirrorless camera would be nice. I wouldn't mind fx but at least dx size.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    edited December 2014

who needs 20fps ?
    Nobody needs 20 fps until they have it and then can't live with out LOL.
    I have the D7100 and the D750. The D7100 will still be in my bag in a couple of years - it's a great body. Of course, if you want a machine gun 7D2 level camera, for sports/BIF, then wait and see what shakes out.
    I still like the 7100 and reach for it every time I need distance. The pixel density is greater than the 810 and so is the speed...
    What I haven't quite figured out yet is shooting with the Nikon 1 and the 70-300 CX. One of these days I need to do a comparison between the 7100 sensor versus 810 sensor versus 1v3 sensor using the same lens and throw in the new 70-300 CX for fun as well. The question is really what gets you the best tele pics and still fits into a shoulder bag.
    What I also like about mirrorless is that they are so quite.

I think it is to late for a pro dx dslr, but a high end mirrorless camera would be nice. I wouldn't mind fx but at least dx size.
    The 1v3/j4 shoot in complete silence at near 20fps... and slightly slower in complete silence with autofocus across virtually the whole image.
    I still think Nikon will introduce a 1v4 (or maybe 1d1 for Dx) on the Nikon 1 series line with a DX sensor. They will milk to death the DSLR cameras.
    Post edited by manhattanboy on
    Interesting comparison between the Canon 5D Mark II and the Nikon D7100.

"Compared to the Nikon D7100

The Nikon D7100 is a primitive thing by comparison.

Unless face-recognition autofocus is important to you, everything else about the 7D Mk II just feels better and faster.

The D7100 feels like a consumer camera, while the 7D Mk II doesn't feel any different than Canon's top 5D Mk III.

If you already own a Nikon DX system or if photographing people with face-recognition AF, consider the D7100, but otherwise, forget Nikon and step up to the 7D Mk II." KR

Wouldn't you say it is time for Nikon to come out with a killer D400?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yes. Come on Nikon!
    Always learning.