Will there Be a Professional DX Body From Nikon?

Comments

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,729Member
    edited March 2015
    Re that video. That's not the method I use. I put my bodies and lenses in the dishwasher. It really cleans them! LOL
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Re that video. That's not the method I use. I put my bodies and lenses in the dishwasher. It really cleans them! LOL
    Great idea. Oh my..LoL :D :-)) =))
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Hope no novice misunderstands that video humor and actually tries to use any of these methods.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Hope no novice misunderstands that video humor and actually tries to use any of these methods.
    I actually couldn't finish watching it .. too painful! even if it was a just a canon.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Too funny, I kind of feel like doing that when I have to use a Canon, couldn't make the camera any worse right? ;)
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    I actually couldn't finish watching it .. too painful! even if it was a just a canon.
    Rich people are sick. That's at least a $1000 bucks he's throwing away in that bowl.
    Its funny in a Hunger Games type of funny, but that to me was not a comedy.
    It's very likely that the camera was dead already anyway, so don't feel too bad about it.
    Reminds me of the time in a fit of rage my wife threw my D3100 with kit lens into a sink full of water. Soooo stupid. Totally ruined both. I am glad it wasn't my D800!
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Gosh, I was thinking anyone who would shoot a Canon just might not know better. :)) =D> =))

I do hope this humor sidelight fits in this thread about DX from Nikon. Or, is the likelihood of a Pro DX from Nikon about the same as the successful operation of the Canon post cleaning?
    Msmoto, mod
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    It's very likely that the camera was dead already anyway, so don't feel too bad about it.
    Even if the camera was broken, that lens could have found its way onto a student's camera and put to use for learning if nothing else.
    is the likelihood of a Pro DX from Nikon about the same as the successful operation of the Canon post cleaning?
    Let's hope a pro-DX body is more likely! Everyone craps on Canon but they do have some nice programs for lens and camera care for non-pros like their gold or silver memberships. For Nikon its either NPS or nothing...kinda of like either the 1% or the 99%. It would be nice to have a business class or even an economy plus level of service for Nikon.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    The cleaning in that video should help improve the Canon sensor....it can't get any worse. LoL :-)) =))

People do strange things..washing a camera in a pan of water and putting one in a dishwasher. Don't think that is only done by Canon owners. LoL. Guess we should get back on topic.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    Guess we should get back on topic.
    I forgot what that is

.... H

D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

edited April 2015
    I have been contemplating upgrading my D7000 to the D7200 going through the specs in detail and looking at the IQ and DR etc. Its really quite nice this D7200.. a more refined D7100 which I did like but found that it just was not enough of an upgrade from my D7000 at that time.
    Some things I noted.
    1) the body of the D7200 is really identical to the D7100. Nikon really didn't do anything here. so it looks like they probably reused everything physical. Saves development time and thus cost. So what were they doing with their camera body engineers? I guess making the D750 body! now that is done too, I wonder what the body designers are doing ?

2) The new expeed4 and high ISO of the D7200 is really nice. although its really only a little better than my D7000 it looks like its at least 3 stops better !! some magic has been sprinkled bu the image processing software engineers! up to ISO6400 there is hardly any difference between the D7200 vs the D610. Thats quite impressive. Even at higher ISO the D7200 "seems" better but if you do a direct compare the D610 is really ahead of it for details.

3) at normal ISO (100-800) the D7200 is really outstanding!! so sharp !! I think the 1.3crop(2x) 16mp would be totally usable !! you would need a good lense though !! unfortunately I cant think of a nikon DX lense that would be up to providing a good partnership with this camera! .. Maybe a dx prime? Maybe the sigma 18-35 f1.8 ? I think the 300F4 and 70-200f4 would be awesome with this camera. Imagine the D7200 in 2x + 300F4 + TC14. That is FOV of 840mm at F5.6 with VR.. . drool !! and it may even be hand holdable!

So given all this is available Now! at 6/7fps. Should I wait for a D9300/D400?
    Seems silly to.
    But !!... what is Nikon up to now? It seems that there were rumors of beta testers for a D400 body some time ago!! before the Tsunami hit and the floods in Thailand! So Nikon probably had a body ready but the delay caused by the floods and other financial hits has knocked it on the head. it died. could it be resurrected? they probably tried with the D9300 but as we know the D600 spots and the rushed development of the D610 probably killed that off too.. When the 5Dm2 came out Nikon had to decide the feature set of the D7200. Question: D7200 feature set as a reply to the 7Dm2. What does it say? we know Nikon and canon battle it out between their products especially the D4s/D810 levels.

So What does it say?
    1) the D7200 is good enough. Being a zoologist I know the bird is just as successful as the earthworm. They just fit in different niches. Yeah we will enjoy our earthworm ..

2) There is a snake in the bushes waiting to eat the bird. ? ;-)
    PS not my image just found it on the internet ..

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited April 2015
    I heard Nikon will be announcing the D400 at 11:59 tonight and PitchBlack has been secretly testing a prototype.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
    I think you are onto something there @donaldejose :-)
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
    I think you are onto something there @donaldejose :-)
    :))
    Always learning.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    edited April 2015
    Don't be ridiculous. Once again you're making excuses. The floods in Thailand happened in October, 2011. That was way before the release of the D7100. Jeez. They've had plenty of time to develop a D400 if they damned well wanted to. The D7200 is the best you're going to get.

Weren't you not 7 months ago saying yo were excited that the 7D2 came our BEFORE the D400 because that would mean that the D400 would be better?
    I find myself in Pitchblack's camp on this one. There seem to be lot's of reasons that a D400 is coming out, but every one of those reasons could have numerous other reasonable explanations.

More specifically, I think that Occam's Razor applies in this case and very specifically, I selected the following from Wikipedia:

In science, Occam's razor is used as a heuristic (discovery tool) to guide scientists in the development of theoretical models rather than as an arbiter between published models.[8][9] In the scientific method, Occam's razor is not considered an irrefutable principle of logic or a scientific result; the preference for simplicity in the scientific method is based on the falsifiability criterion. For each accepted explanation of a phenomenon, there is always an infinite number of possible and more complex alternatives, because one can always burden failing explanations with ad hoc hypothesis to prevent them from being falsified; therefore, simpler theories are preferable to more complex ones because they are better testable and falsifiable.[1][10][11]

Essentially, this thread could be thousands of pages long if we want to construct even more complex alternatives, but there really is not enough evidence to fill more than a page with discussion. This is all fine amoung all of us that know better. I actually find this thread quite entertaining. However, I worry that newbies may not appreciate the entertainment factor that this thread provides and attribute validity where validity is not warranted.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Rumor - a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth.

The name of this site is nikon rumors after all.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    I actually find this thread quite entertaining.
    +1
    Well, here's a new angle, then.
    Let's assume that the reason for no pro-DX is, that Nikon HQ has simply decided that this has the lowest priotity of all bodies (except for the D4X, who knows). They simply wanted to spend their resources on other products.
    The thing is, havn't ALL other DSLRs been updated now? Eh?
    This can only mean that there are no other projects left on the table at Nikon. The to-do list has only one item left. Finally, time has come for the pro-DX. I mean, it would be stupid to update one of the brand new (excellent) bodies, so what else could there possibly be to announce in the next 6-9 months?
    It's the 1st of April, so let's just say (for the entertainment), that I'm convinced this is the real explanation, and I'm convinced we'll see the pro-DX in three months.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
    Sports: Sorry, no. Nikon would have lost too many sales from a popular camera which would have been purchased again by many D300 and D300s users. It would have had a high priority. The answer more likely is one of two things:
    Either 1. they decided not to make a replacement for the D300s at all thinking people would migrate to other Nikon bodies and there certainly are plenty of other good bodies to migrate to.
    or 2. they didn't have the parts available to do the job right for the price point of about $1,900.
    Nikon isn't talking so we don't know which of the two is the answer. However, if a D400 ever does appear we may be able to identify new parts, such as a new sensor or a new processor, which Nikon was waiting for to make it possible. If Nikon produces a 50+ mp FX sensor this year it may be teamed with a faster processor which could also be used drive 24mp DX sensor data at 8 or 9 fps. The short answer is we cannot ever know unless Nikon actually does release a D400 and we see what went into it and if those parts were available years ago or just became available now.

Weren't you not 7 months ago saying yo were excited that the 7D2 came our BEFORE the D400 because that would mean that the D400 would be better?
    Yup that was me :-)

The D300 was released on 23 August 2007 the D300S was released on July 30, 2009. .. canon's reply the 7D was released on 1 September 2009. So it took canon more than 2 years to "reply"..

The new 7dm2 was released on 15 September 2014 .. I doubt that Nikon will take 2 years to reply .. tech is moving faster. So my awesome guess will be by the end of this year at the latest and probably in the august/sept release cycle.

edited April 2015
    Frankly I want Nikon to release a D400, just so I can watch the Youtube video of @PitchBlack eating it.
    If a D400 comes out, I will buy one, and very slowly eat it. I'll take the f***ing thing apart and slowly consume it.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    edited April 2015
    "Frankly I want Nikon to release a D400, just so I can watch the Youtube video of @PitchBlack eating it."

LOL !!! =))
    Post edited by heartyfisher on

edited April 2015
    I hope Nikon releases a D300s replacement but calls it the D500 so everyone can be correct! D5 and D500 this year?