Will there Be a Professional DX Body From Nikon?

Comments

• SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    Nikon labels the CPU for the new J5 "Expeed5A".
    Get ready for the "Expeed5" version of the entire model range.
    No details on any specific differences from Expeed4.

The 4 was built on the 7th generation Fujitsu Milbeaut, and Fujitsu has, btw, moved its processors to a separate company Socionext. Looks like Panasonic is in it, too. But there's no info about a new generation of the processor.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,729Member
    edited April 2015
    Looks like two new things in the Nikon 1 J5 which potentially could be helpful in a D400/D500.

1. The apperance of Expeed5a in the J5 means Expeed 5 will soon be here in DSLRs. I assume it will have more processing power so bigger files can be processed faster. The J5 is handling 20 mp at 20 fps. Maybe Expeed 5 can handle 24mp DX at 10 fps? Also, Expeed 5a cannot be too costly since they are putting it in a camera selling for $500. Expeed 5 should be able to be used in a body costing less than $2,000.

2. The new backside illumined sensor puts the wiring on the back of the sensor which is claimed to allow the sensor to capture more light for better high ISO images. This construction method could benefit DX sensors. Maybe the FX sensor in the D5 will also be built this way.

Don't be hard on PitchBlack. So far he has been entirely correct. The ground upon which he bases his (so far correct) analysis may just shift under his feet if new parts become available for use in a D400/D500 body.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited April 2015
    From the specs of the j5 there is no hint of any improvements in the expeed5. We will need to wait for more info from somewhere else.

Well there are some curious things that could be attributed to expeed5.
    1) Power consumption may have been increased .. maybe more cores ? maybe new battery lower power ?
    2) Fps is the same but MP increased so througput may have increased.

Re BSI .. its already in the dx sized sensor on the Samsung NX1. BSI has the biggest impact when the pixels are tiny ie high MP.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member

Don't be hard on PitchBlack. So far he has been entirely correct.
    and for very good reasons

I agree with PitchBlack there will not be a Profession Dx . The simple reason is , Most True Professionals have FX glass and prefer the higher IQ of FX

The question is really

Will Nikon make a Dx camera with a higher spec than the D7XXX?

I think this is extremely unlikely.
    Increase the spec and you increase the price
    Increase the price and you decrease the number of units sold
    Decrease the number of units sold and you lose the advantage of mass production
    Lose the advantage of mass production and you increase the price

and in doing so lose the main advantage of DX; Price

What about "reach" eg you can you 400mm rather then 600mm

This is again about price, buy a 600mm problem solved

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member

Don't be hard on PitchBlack. So far he has been entirely correct.
    and for very good reasons

I agree with PitchBlack there will not be a Profession Dx . The simple reason is , Most True Professionals have FX glass and prefer the higher IQ of FX

The question is really

Will Nikon make a Dx camera with a higher spec than the D7XXX?

I think this is extremely unlikely.
    Increase the spec and you increase the price
    Increase the price and you decrease the number of units sold
    Decrease the number of units sold and you lose the advantage of mass production
    Lose the advantage of mass production and you increase the price

and in doing so lose the main advantage of DX; Price What about "reach" eg you can you 400mm rather then 600mm This is again about price, buy a 600mm problem solved
    +1 Sevencrossing.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited April 2015
    "This is again about price, buy a 600mm problem solved" don't forget weight :-) lol same argument same reply.

Its more so the case now, now that there is the awesome light and small 300 F4 VR PF and the 2x crops of the new DX cameras.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited April 2015
    don't forget weight

Yes the D810 ( in DX crop mode ) is 30 grams heaver
    and 1 fps slower than the D300s

Reach ? the D810 beats the D300s on reach
    It also beats it on ISO performance, dynamic rage and IQ hands down
    Not to mention Focusing and expose accuracy
    The Pro DX is hear now it is the D810 in crop mode
    Just a bit more than $2,000

The only real down side of the D810( in crop mode) vs the D300s is price

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    edited April 2015
    Thom Hogan said Personally, if I were Nikon
    But he is not Nikon. He may be some sort of demigod but he absolutely no experience of the highly competitive business, of manufacturing photographic equipment
    Oh look. Thom Hogan and Heartyfisher are the same person.
    but who is Ren Krockwell?

• snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    I agree with Thom Hogan that a pro dx camera could be priced above the D610. Interesting what he says about integrated grip but still not too large. I wonder how that design would look?
    edited April 2015
    The ongoing debate cannot be settled at this time. Neither side can "win" and neither side should mock the other. Only time will tell if Nikon every produces what can be called a "pro-DX DSLR body." Who knows? A strong argument can be made that Nikon would reap more financial reward by "skipping"' over a pro-DX DSLR body and produce some FX and DX mirrorless bodies like the Sony A7 series. Also, a strong argument can be made that Nikon should put its best FX and DX sensors into a rangefinder body like the Fuji X100 series. None of us know what Nikon is going to do and some of us wonder if Nikon even knows what it is going to do other than simply release minor iterations of existing models.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    Price a pro DX above a D610 and I would still buy. I world like it similar to the D810 but a bit smaller not the D4. I have never shot with a grip but would like to try it so would add it if it were not built in.

If I move on to the D8X0 (out of my budget for now) I would come back for a pro DX. If it is a no show then the D8X0 would most likely be my last Nikon.

I just don't think I would be happy with a mirrorless camera.
    edited April 2015
    Only time will tell if Nikon .......
    But for some us, time is running out
    Please mods if you cant close this thread, please suspend it until the Main BLOG has something new
    Please stop this wast of space, on what used to be an interesting forum
    At moment it is just the same people ( including me) saying the same things over over and again
    "Should I be mocked if I talk about a ProDf for hundreds of pages because it's what I really want even though there's no evidence that it exists?" No, you shouldn't be mocked for speculating endlessly about something that doesn't exist. Those here who are interested in your speculation can read the thread and add their own speculations. Those here who are not interested can skip over that thread and read others. For example, I only follow about 5 or 6 threads on NR at any given time. The rest I don't read because they don't interest me.

Here is a subject I brought up many years ago and was mocked for it. Notice how your nose often squishes on the LCD as you peer through the viewfinder? Optical viewfinders have to be located in line with the lens and sensor or film but electronic viewfinders do not. So my idea for a body with an electric viewfinder is to locate the EVF off axis similar to a rangefinder viewfinder so there is room for your nose on the left side of the camera body. That idea was mocked but I didn't take offense and still think EVF open up new design options.
    edited April 2015
    Nope, I mentioned it once or twice and when there was no interest in discussing the subject I didn't bring it up again. Also, years ago I championed what I call a "mini-D4 DX body with a built in grip" just as Thom Hogan is now suggesting for a D400. Once again there was not much interest in discussing the topic so I dropped it. Conversely, there does seem to be a great deal of interest in people wanting to discuss various permutations of "a pro-style DX body" in whatever form that means to them.

I do follow your 24/1.4 Art thread and thank you for gathering the information and posting it. I just don't have any comments to make about it other than I don't yet have the 35mm f1.4 Art and would probably purchase that lens before I purchased a 24 Art. But I certainly am extremely interested in what you post about the 24mm and would also be extremely interested in what you post about a 85mm Art if one is produced.
    I don't know how to check the readership of a thread as opposed to the posters on a thread. Perhaps the mods have access to that data and can better judge the interest in any given thread.
  • rbrylawskirbrylawski Posts: 222Member
    edited April 2015
    I read this thread as I find the discussion amusing/interesting/sad. I find it in many ways sad that people have hoped for something from Nikon, which seems to have fallen on deaf ears for so long from the mother ship. I find it interesting to see how people define a Pro DX camera. And some of the posts are just downright funny.

But to anyone who finds the topic tired and suggests the topic be closed, I ask if someone is forcing you to respond? You can turn off alerts and never be bothered by this thread again if you are bothered.

Just sayin'
    Post edited by rbrylawski on
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    And some of the posts are just downright funny.
    I'm still LMFAO about the "Rocky Mountain Bigfoot Oysters" =))
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    I read this thread as I find the discussion amusing/interesting/sad. I find it in many ways sad that people have hoped for something from Nikon, which seems to have fallen on deaf ears for so long from the mother ship. I find it interesting to see how people define a Pro DX camera. And some of the posts are just downright funny.

But to anyone who finds the topic tired and suggests the topic be closed, I ask if someone is forcing you to respond? You can turn off alerts and never be bothered by this thread again if you are bothered.

Just sayin'
    That would deprive the newbies, who stumble upon this thread, of the opportunity to learn that the D400's coming is a minority opinion.

Just sayin'
    That would deprive the newbies, who stumble upon this thread, of the opportunity to learn that the D400's coming is a minority opinion.
    OK....but it's still a conscious choice to participate or not participate.
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
    I, for one, take the pledge to stop posting on these pro-DX body threads until anything substantial appears from Nikon, if any such thing ever does appear.

Any others willing to take the same pledge?

If so, the threads would disappear from the top of the of the list.
    This is more form over function, or perhaps function over forum form, IMHO. NRF doesn't do a particularly good job of segregating threads. It would likely help if the forum had better defined sections. There could be a section just about camera's people hoped to see. One for posts just about lenses. One for existing cameras. One for tech support issues, etc. Threads go to the top because they are frequented more often. I don't know if how I'm writing this makes sense, but most other forums do a better job of keeping posts about certain subjects contained within their own sections.
    You can turn off alerts and never be bothered by this thread again if you are bothered.

Yes we could all go the cafe and let the "I demand Nikon make a professional camera at an consumer price" Trolls take over the entire forum

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    edited April 2015
    Did you spend hundreds of pages talking about it?
    What's funny is that nearly half of the posts on this page are yours ;)
    Let's face it, people like talking about it, and then there are people who like talking about not talking about it!
    Post edited by manhattanboy on