Will there Be a Professional DX Body From Nikon?

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    @pitchblack. I'm new here and have been consistently impressed by and benefitted from your contributions. I have to say while I have watched the proceedings in this thread with some amusement and agree with some to much of what you've said, I fear you have taken it far more seriously than it deserves. I hope you'll reconsider and avoid the thread, not the forum.
    It would be hard for him to do that. The D400 topic seems to find its way into other threads. As he mentioned, the D7200 thread (It is not the D400) and as I said, the DF thread (Why is Nikon wasting time on this and not making a D400?). If you want to avoid discussion of the D400, you have to leave the forum.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 742Member
    Rats. I'm not that invested in the debate, so I guess the inter- thread references to the DX don't pique my attention. I just hate to see someone leave over something I see (emphasis on "I") as trivial.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Rats. I'm not that invested in the debate, so I guess the inter- thread references to the DX don't pique my attention. I just hate to see someone leave over something I see (emphasis on "I") as trivial.
    Someone leaving because they don't like a discussion on a camera I suspect will seem unwise in retrospect.
    Nasim from Photographylife.com thinks a D400 is coming, and I do not see anyone in mass abandoning his site or putting it down. Likewise, Thom of dslrbodies.com also thinks a D400 is coming and even today wrote about it stating that Sony has a new 24MP DX sensor capable of 19 fps. Have a look at this link.

Its nice that folks are supportive of each other here; I really like and appreciate that. But I disagree with telling someone that they can't talk about a legitimate product that many other (respected) folks are talking about.
  • rbrylawskirbrylawski Posts: 222Member
    Without him posting to every post saying what folly it is to discuss this, the thread has become much quieter. All he really needed to do, was ignore the topic since he felt it was a waste of time. Simple, really.
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    Yes, the 19 fps sensor seems to be officially released, so it's not just a rumor.
    Also, Nikon, with J5 started the Expeed 5 generation, although it's the "A" version for Nikon 1.
    So, if someone's collecting parts for a pro-DX, those parts seem to become more and more available.
    (Same thing was said when Expeed 4 appeared, of course.)
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited April 2015

Nasim from Photographylife.com thinks a D400 is coming,
    God has spoken The D400 is in fact coming after all. Perhaps we could close this thread for a few days, in memory of PB,

Then when it comes out, we can have new thread. When will they make a true replacement for the D300
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited April 2015
    Thanks @manhattanboy for the link to Thom's sensor post.

So it seems that the limit to FPS is very likely to be the sensor readout speed and not expeed4. As deduced from the Nikon1's high FPS, expeed4 is not the bottleneck.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited April 2015
    I just looked that the camerastoretv review of the 7Dm2. From the images I would be so so so jealous of the Nikon cameras, I would switch systems to nikon! The Canon images showed so much clipping and blooming! IQ from my Nikon1V1 is almost comparable ! So appreciate my old D7000, and my my, that D610 just blows it out of the water!

The D7200 may not be able to match the 7Dm2 in FPS etc., but the IQ makes them only minor minor compromises !!
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited April 2015
    A friend, a very keen bird photographer, has just upgraded his D300 to a D7200
    He is absolutely delighted with it
    I asked him if there was anything the D7200 lacked, that was on his D300
    Yes he said. My D300 remote wont work on it
    Any else? I asked. Build quality? profession controls? too few fps?
    No, he said, a perfect replacement
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    A friend, a very keen bird photographer, has just upgraded his D300 to a D7200
    He is absolutely delighted with it
    I asked him if there was anything the D7200 lacked, that was on his D300
    Yes he said. My D300 remote wont work on it
    Any else? I asked. Build quality? profession controls? too few fps?
    No, he said, a perfect replacement
    The point you seem to be making there is that in the absence of an up to date version of the D300s, people are actually prepared to either compromise or totally accept a newer, lesser range model in place of the one they were waiting for and yet you also write:
    the kind of camera we're talking about.

No No No a thousand times no
    it is the sort of camera YOU are talking about
    everyone else wants something slightly different

Implying inflexibility. Also, confusingly, you write:

A simple question that has been answered a 100 times

At the risk of repeating myself

very very unlikely

Quite simply a Pro Dx is an oxymoron

Canon don't make one and nether will Nikon

When clearly they have made one in the past so could in the future.

Perhaps this thread wouldn't be so long, and create such strong feelings if its contributors stuck to the topic a little more and were more consistent with their views. It is especially interesting that some top contributing posters are spending so much time criticising the thread because it is a waste of time contributing to it!

On topic, Nikon may or may not make a pro standard DX - they clearly are capable, yet frustratingly they don't. It seems that a lot of people who currently own D7xxx's would upgrade in a heartbeat to a DX which is a step ahead in ruggedness fps, AF and buffer depth with construction and ergonomics like a D8xx so I feel sure they would sell enough. The price may be higher than we would like, but I can't say I believe that people use price point as the major decision point on whether to jump to FX which is pivotal to the argument of why DX exists even. Sure, at the low end, it is price that attracts new customers to the marque, but at the high end it is capability that sells the model. I don't see the lack of DX only lenses a stumbling block either anymore. I know the 24/70/200 lens change points are less convenient, and the weight is higher, but I think again that the weight and cost alone is not the reason people buy DX once they are at the high end.

So no answers, just adding to the general lack of comprehension about why there isn't even the rumour of a response to the 7D2 (but keeping it on topic). ;;)
    Always learning.
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    Agreed, we don't need a new discussion of the thread itself.
    Also, please remember, we're not here to win the discussion: pro-DX yes or no ..... because it cannot be won .... unless Nikon releases the thing.

Price point is an interesting discussion in many different ways. The purpose of some products is to keep prices up on other products.
    Some people say that DX will disappear. No way.
    Without DX, Nikon and others would not be able to make big money on FX bodies. They would be forced to lower FX prices to the current DX level, as they cannot afford to lose the customers. And then who would pay 1500$ if you could get one at $500? If FX prices drop that much, they'll make much LESS money than now. So why would they do it? With the help from DX, they can keep charging $$$$ for FX.

.... not that this proves the coming of a pro-DX in any way ..... :-)
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
    edited April 2015

The point you seem to be making there is that in the absence of an up to date version of the D300s, people are actually prepared to either compromise or totally accept a newer, lesser range model in place of the one they were waiting for

Yes some people are prepared to comprise. Any camera is a compromise of Price, Speed, IQ, Built quality, User friendliness and Features
    Life is too short to wait for the perfect camera
    Some people do hope the D400 will not be a compromise, It will be their perfect camera
    I think they are in for a long wait

So back on topic

Will there Be a Professional DX Body From Nikon?
    As far as I am concerned NO
    Nikon might make a camera that a few people will consider a Professional DX Body but I will not be among them

edited April 2015

Without DX, Nikon and others would not be able to make big money on FX bodies. They would be forced to lower FX prices to the current DX level, as they cannot afford to lose the customers. And then who would pay 1500$ if you could get one at $500? If FX prices drop that much, they'll make much LESS money than now. So why would they do it? With the help from DX, they can keep charging $$$$ for FX.
    The D610 is only slightly more expensive than the D7200

Like all manufactures they try to make a product for all budgets
    If you want to spend $6,000 on a camera to take photos you could have taken on your phone. Nikon happily will sell a D4s
  • faaterisfaateris Posts: 8Member
    to sevencrossing:

Only birds, birds...... Who said that D300 type of camera's are for bird photography??????? For birds D7200 is really good. It is clear. What about motorsport photography? D3s, D4, D4s? Price????
    edited April 2015
    to sevencrossing:
    . What about motorsport photography?
    and what is wrong with the D7200 for motor sport ?

Currently we have the following nikon cameras in order of price
    D810, Df, D750, D610, D7200, D5500.

Where would the D400 fit in ?

How would we order them in terms of features? and where would the D400 fit there?

I would think that the perception of a need to place products in a price/budget scale is illogical (although Nikon seem to be doing it). They should make whatever the market wants and then price it accordingly. So what if they have 3 products at the same price? if the features cater for a market niche, that niche will consume it.

edited April 2015
    They should make whatever the market wants and then price it accordingly. So what if they have 3 products at the same price? if the features cater for a market niche, that niche will consume it.
    Niches are price sensitive

Most people hope the D400 would be only just north of $2,000 putting it, at a similar price to the D750

The question for Nikon is.

Is the niche for a D400 big enough, for them to sell enough units to justify the R&D, production and marketing cost.

Remember, the sort of person waiting for a D400, won't be buying one, They will hang on for the D410
    edited April 2015
    When I say "niche" I don't mean a "small" niche. Niches can be any size thus "price sensitivity" is independent of my statement on niches.

Your statement regarding the "sort of person waiting for a D400" seems a weird opinion of Thom Hogan. ;-)

edited April 2015
    @ heartyfisher at the end of day everything is price sensitive
    I don't read Thom Hogan and have only come across him on nrf. I gather he is some sort of a demi god
    "Most people hope the D400 would be only just north of $2,000 putting it, at a similar price to the D750"

What I was trying to illustrate from my 2 lists of placing the cameras in order of price and features was to show that features and price only correlate weakly.
    so let me fill in my list with the D400
    Price
    D810, Df, D750, [D400], D610, D7200, D5500

Features
    D810, [D400], D750, D7200, D610, Df, D5500

edited April 2015
    @ heartyfisher at the end of day everything is price sensitive
    I don't read Thom Hogan and have only come across him on nrf. I gather he is some sort of a demi god
    Gathering mushrooms again? :-) no I mean that he is not one who will be waiting for a D410, or a few other people who will be getting a D400, of course I cant guarantee that any of them will be getting a D400 but neither can I guarantee that they will be waiting for a D410.

"Life is too short to wait for the perfect camera " yup .. I am so satisfied with my D610 and D7000 that I cant find an excuse to get the D7200.. well actually, I can, but its so small and trivial that I am ashamed I am considering it ... lol ... .. {sheepish side glance}

• snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    Remember, the sort of person waiting for a D400, won't be buying one, They will hang on for the D410
    Have you met any of these people? Where do they live?

• proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Waiting for a replacement upgrade for a camera that doesn't even exist yet? I can think of better uses of one's time.

Have you met any of these people? Where do they live?

They hang out on NRF

=))