Sony have road map
    as you can see, some between now and then
    you might get some new lenses

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/lenses/roadmap.pdf

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • 4thebirds4thebirds Posts: 27Member
    edited January 2015
    Photobug said:
    Oh another "dreamer". Get over it...there will be no D400. Sorry, but that is my opinion and a few others on here.
    While I agree that it is unwise expect or hope for a pro DX body any time soon, I also think Nikon is very hard to predict. Could you have predicted the Df right before it appeared? The D750? The 800mm f/5.6 lens? How soon will the first DX or FX mirrorless DSLR from Nikon appear? Seems darn likely this year but I've given up trying to guess what Nikon will do. They certainly don't care what I think or want.

As much as I would LOVE to see a new pro DX body, right now I have to admit that the D7100 has allowed me to take some fantastic images. I'm very satisfied with the quality I get with the D7100, and for me personally, the absence of a more capable and durable "pro" body is not the biggest thing limiting me from getting more great images. I need to get out more often to get more great opportunities and more practice. Also, I don't currently see a clearly better option in APS-C for wild bird photography. Certainly not an alternative that is worth the huge cost of switching.

But I'm ready to get a second DX body because I want to often have 2 DX bodies with lenses mounted and ready at the same time, as well as a back-up body. So I'm anxiously awaiting the details on the D7200. I'm just assuming there will be nothing else after the D7200 any time soon. In fact after I get it I'm determined to spend less time reading these silly forums (nothing personal).

Dave

Post edited by 4thebirds on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    @4thebirds - nice summary on the D400 comment.
    You said: But I'm ready to get a second DX body because I want to often have 2 DX bodies with lenses mounted and ready at the same time, as well as a back-up body. So I'm anxiously awaiting the details on the D7200. I'm just assuming there will be nothing else after the D7200 any time soon. In fact after I get it I'm determined to spend less time reading these silly forums (nothing personal).

Your on the correct path. Wait and see what the specs are for the D7200. Then either buy the D7200 body or buy a second D7100 body. I expect the prices to drop and a bunch of refurbished models to be available over the quarter after the introduction of the D7200. Having two bodies is a good move.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • monographixmonographix Posts: 11Member
    getting impatient about D7200 leaks ........
    www.photographix.me
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited January 2015
    < I'm just assuming there will be nothing else after the D7200

So how would people feel if Nikon did publish a road map
    and it simple said

END OF ROAD

Thats all folks, thanks for all the fish, enjoy what you have. The R&D department are going on extended gardening leave

There were no updates to Nikon F, at all during, the 60s
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    Nikon D7200 Announcement SHOULD happen in this February. Personally I am about to spend slightly more money on a completely different purchase. So from my standpoint Nikon has been at least several months too late. Nikon will NEVER publish a roadmap. If they did this kind of thing there would be less need for Nikon Rumors. Nikon Rumors has been an excellent site. It will continue to be so is my belief. But in retirement my money to spend on camera gear is limited. My son and grandsons have spent pro levels in the last three years. They are seriously into photography. But their purchases are hardly FX Nikons. Nikon put a LOT of investment in FX and despite what many think here......FX cameras are big, heavy, and are not cutting edge when it comes to video. They have spent much less on Nikons than other photography gear. I am the one who clings to Nikon in my retirement. Maybe Nikon should start listening to DX demand better. Our interest here right now in Nikon is the D7200. And yes we think a D750 would be nice but it just doesn't fit our photo strategy. The Nikon 1 AW 1 gets the most use by the son and grandsons, along with D7000 which they feel is somewhat outdated.
    edited January 2015
    sevencrossing said:
    and it simple said

END OF ROAD

Thats all folks, thanks for all the fish, enjoy what you have. The R&D department are going on extended gardening leave

There were no updates to Nikon F, at all during, the 60s
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say. If you're implying that we should be grateful for the great choices we have because there was a time when we had to wait a decade for any improvement, and we should just get out and shoot using what we have and what is currently available, I won't argue with you. If you're suggesting that the true reason Nikon leaks very few rumors and gives us no road map is that they intend to drop out of the game, well I consider that rather unlikely.

Thom Hogan says the closer to the event an announcement happens, the bigger the announcement. So I guess I should be hoping that we don't hear a thing for 2 more full weeks. Then maybe we'll get a pleasant surprise... Considering that it has been about full 2 years since the D7100 was announced, I hope the real D7200 specs are a little better than the old rumor from a few weeks ago.

Dave

edited January 2015
    4thebirds
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

I am not trying say anything

It is just a hypothetical question

Would people be relieved, they could go out and buy a current model today , knowing it would not be out of date tomorrow

or would they feel frustrated, that Nikon are never going to make a camera that would fulfill their dreams

If you're suggesting that the true reason Nikon leaks very few rumors and gives us no road map is that they intend to drop out of the game,

No. Not at all

edited January 2015
    Okay, understood.

I've accepted that a new pro DX body may not happen for a long time, if ever. But I haven't entirely given up hope on a D9300 (or D400, whatever it would be called), so I guess if there really is zero hope I'd rather not know... I would be a little irritated if I buy a D7200 and 6 months later the D9300 finally appears, but if that's the way it has to happen, I'd still rather it happen that way than never.

Dave
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Some clever person found a list of sales and published it here a while back. I can't be certain, but I think it only related to lenses. If there is one for bodies (I'm sure there is but it is not in the public domain), It would be good to see how many D300/D300s's were sold in comparison to D90/D7000's. That would be a good guide to whether or not it is worth their while. Maybe there is a Canon version of the list - that would give an indication.
    Always learning.
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    @4thebirds - This is why I will not give up my D300. :)

Although I miss the button layout of my D300 on my D750, I could not justify the cost difference for the D810 only to get a similar layout.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    <<blockquote rel="sevencrossing">
    and it simple said

END OF ROAD

Thats all folks

As long as they put the following picture at the end of the road map I would be okay with that.
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    I've saved up a close to $2800 if the D7200 doesn't matrealize then what? :(( D610, D750, Any advice on the lens?
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
    Nikon D7200 Announcement SHOULD happen in this February..... But in retirement my money to spend on camera gear is limited. My son and grandsons have spent pro levels in the last three years. They are seriously into photography. But their purchases are hardly FX Nikons.

This is year 4 of retirement and I really do understand your comment: But in retirement my money to spend on camera gear is limited.

I entered retirement with a huge slush fund waiting for the D400, then the D9300. Finally 16 months ago I made the best decision in years and bought the D7100 as an interim body and was shocked with the image quality. I still had some money left in the slush fund and I did my evaluation and just got the D750. Great decision and great body. After getting the D750, sold the 17-55 F2.8 and I was short $400 for the 24-70 F2.8 lens so I had to work hard to find the extra money for the lens and the RRS bracket for the D750.

Then the light went on. I need to withdrawal $$ from my IRA yearly, especially in the out years when I am withdrawing less than my RMD. I now have a future source of funds for camera equipment. :)
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited January 2015
    I've saved up a close to $2800 if the D7200 doesn't matrealize then what? :(( D610, D750, Any advice on the lens?
    @nukeEX2 - so what type of photography do you do. Which lens do you shoot 75% of your images. There lies the answer to your question. Having made the switch to FX a few months ago the Nikon 24-70 2.8 was the lens for me. I love it. Check out the Bald Eagle I just posted on PAD.

Others are going to quickly jump in and say check out Tamron 24-70 with VR. Their right. And yes I did look at it but I really like the Nikon glass.

Take a good look at the D610 and D750 and go with the one that will do what you want it to do.
    Post edited by Photobug on

@nukeEX2 - so what type of photography do you do. Which lens do you shoot 75% of your images. There lies the answer to your question. Having made the switch to FX a few months ago the Nikon 24-70 2.8 was the lens for me. I love it. Check out the Bald Eagle I just posted on PAD.

Others are going to quickly jump in and say check out Tamron 24-70 with VR. Their right. And yes I did look at it but I really like the Nikon glass.

Take a good look at the D610 and D750 and go with the one that will do what you want it to do.
    I shoot little of everything except for portrait which I'd like to do as I get a better camera and the lens. right now I shoot mostly of flowers and clouds/landscape, sunset/sunrise.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    I bought my 810 for less than that. Does everything you want to do and then some. Why are you waiting for the 7200?
    Mainly cost... (Yes I know D610 cost $1499) and I've used Canon T2I before. I've used three Sony Cybershot prior to the Canon But Canon left me desire for more and at the time "Prosumer" model was costing way too high. That's just body alone let's not even talk about the lens it is the real reason why I kept holding off from getting the Nikon I know half that $2800 budget would be spent on the glass.
    @nukuEX2 said - I shoot little of everything except for portrait which I'd like to do as I get a better camera and the lens. right now I shoot mostly of flowers and clouds/landscape, sunset/sunrise.

First decide which format, DX or FX. Suggest you consider the following:
    D7200
    17-55mm F2.8 wide angle zoom
    35mm 1.8 prime lens
    2 UV filters
    Some of the accessories identified in the NRF Accessory forum
    "L" bracket for the tripod

If your money won't spread that far, ditch the fine 17-55 and get the 18-200mm lens.
    and yet another thread turns into the Dx vs Fx debate
    If your money won't spread that far, ditch the fine 17-55 and get the 18-200mm lens.
    I'd say nuku would be better off with the 18-140 for a D7200. it has enough coverage for all he shoots plus is latest design for the 24mp sensor.
    Always learning.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    The 18-140 Nikkor is one of the ones I don't own but I should. I feel the 17-55 just is an expensive version of really great Nikon glass I already own. It is a really good range with good ratings. I used to think the 16-85 was a lens I needed by spraynpray posted stuff that made me think the lens was not all that great and I now have lens that cover all that range and more, although granted in several lens. I guess sevencrossing is right on this being a DX versus FX but the theme really to me is the FX Nikons really got a big boost and DX got little and buyers drift off and some never come back. The D7200 is what I would LIKE now. After major other purchases I am not sure that will even happen for me. Part of my contention is the D7200 sales should be really significant!
    All I'll say is if the D7200 is significantly better than the D7100 it will be a hell of a camera. A hell of a camera.
    Always learning.
    I'd say nuku would be better off with the 18-140 for a D7200. it has enough coverage for all he shoots plus is latest design for the 24mp sensor.
    @spraynpray - excellent point. If the OP doesn't need that longer reach then the 18-140 is an excellent alternative. I was just thinking longer.

Regarding your comment if the D7200 is significantly better than the D7100 it will be a hell of a camera. +1 on that one.

@DaveyJ +1...D7200 sales should be really significant.

If the D7200 is a minor "tweak" than I would expect sales to be good. But if it's a significant improvement sales are going to be really high. Guess we have to wait and see what Nikon does.

First decide which format, DX or FX. Suggest you consider the following:
    D7200
    17-55mm F2.8 wide angle zoom
    35mm 1.8 prime lens
    2 UV filters
    Some of the accessories identified in the NRF Accessory forum
    "L" bracket for the tripod

I'd stretch out my budget by getting the third party lenses (Mainly Sigma) I know they have 17-55mm f2.8 for $670.