D850

Comments

• paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member

Hold on to your socks, everybody: its coming. And soon. I just laid down my money for a D810, finally. I guarantee you it will be announced by January now. This is the way my life works.

Would not worry about that, first time you see your image on a big screen you won't believe the quality of the D810, However this camera needs good glass ,if you want to achieve it's full capability.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    One cannot rely entirely on fixing color in post processing. Starting with blown highlights, shadows, etc. will not produce a good image. Starting with a good image and post processing to bring out the colors will always beat a poor image no matter how much time is spent on post processing.

Here are a few examples from Flickr Explore that over processing has affected the quality of the image.

Post Processing3

Post processing

Post processing2

Post processing is a essential tool but knowing what to process and when to stop is just as important as capturing the best image you can capture. Both are equally as important. Color balance is different from over processing.

Check out the award winning landscape photos. I do not see heavy post processing in any of them.

www.msn.com/en-us/travel/article/award-winning-american-landscape-photos/ss-AAjHGXi?ocid=spartanntp#image=1

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    paulr said:

Hold on to your socks, everybody: its coming. And soon. I just laid down my money for a D810, finally. I guarantee you it will be announced by January now. This is the way my life works.

Would not worry about that, first time you see your image on a big screen you won't believe the quality of the D810, However this camera needs good glass ,if you want to achieve it's full capability.
    I actually believe that it is very likely that the D820 will be announced in the new year. So says my crystal ball......
    WEF Does your crystal ball work with the lottery? LOL
    Dunno. I have never bought a lottery ticket before.
  • shubhabrata29shubhabrata29 Posts: 30Member
    Any more update on the probable announcements :neutral:
    January and February are common months for Nikon to announce new products. I am eagerly anticipating this too. The only thing that might throw me off this would be Nikon bringing out a D900 that was better with much better resolution while only incrementally improving the D810.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I am hoping for a 54mp so it will be about the same as D7200 in crop mode, exspeed 5, focus system from D5, and a few other tweaks, The biggest wish is priced so I can afforded it.
    Can you afford a D810 plus 10%?
    Biggest obstacle is desire for a longer lens. But the D8xx or D900 are not here yet so I may have some time to save.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,798Member
    edited November 2016
    It likely will be about a 50mp sensor for about $3,000.00 with the new D5/D500 AF, radio flash and SnapBridge. As the price of a refurbished D810 falls well below $2,000.00 that may be a better buy than its replacement and all that 90% of us really need. Just as 24 mp seems to now be the standard in DX sensor size about 50 mp is likely to be the new standard in FX sensor size, except for "speed" sports cameras which need to process 10 fps or more. the D6 will likely go to 24 mp. As to whether or not FX will move on up to the 75 mp range will depend upon if any real visible gains at FX sensor size will be made in doing so. It might be better to have 75 to 100mp in a medium format size sensor. The new Fuji medium sensor body will tell us a lot. Perhaps Nikon can "scale up" the Nikon 1 V2 format to medium format size and add a good horizontal/vertical hand grip to make it hand holdable. Fuji may show the way to a hand holdable medium format camera.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
    24mp DX and 54mp FX are the same density so that is why I am guessing 54 for a new FX. Not far off the 50mp and it can already be done.
    Agreed, that is why I said "about" 50mp. Nikon will want to increase pixel density a bit to beat Cannon 5DS 50mp but may not want to push the envelope all the way up to 75mp. However, there is a rumor that Sony is developing a 75mp sensor so if one is ready to go Nikon may use it.
    75mps. Maybe that will be the launch of the D900 series?

It likely will be about a 50mp sensor for about $3,000.00 with the new D5/D500 AF, radio flash and SnapBridge.

If it's 50MP and has D5 - AF, and that too at $3,000, will anyone buy D5 for $6,500 after that ? Aren't we expecting too much :open_mouth: ? Whatever be it, I need to know the release date now. Please someone from Nikon speak up. I sold my DX camera eagerly waiting for the upgrade, not sure how long will I be able to hold my breath.
    The D820 won't have the frame rate, battery life, pro build, grip etc etc.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator

It likely will be about a 50mp sensor for about $3,000.00 with the new D5/D500 AF, radio flash and SnapBridge.

If it's 50MP and has D5 - AF, and that too at $3,000, will anyone buy D5 for $6,500 after that ? Aren't we expecting too much :open_mouth: ? Whatever be it, I need to know the release date now. Please someone from Nikon speak up. I sold my DX camera eagerly waiting for the upgrade, not sure how long will I be able to hold my breath.
    There is no history of Nikon releasing information early on any product. Typically there is a few months between an official announcement and first ship date. Since we haven't even had a credible rumor yet, we are several months away from an announcement, possibly much longer. The D810 is still selling strong, number 18 on the amazon best sellers list. You might be waiting a year or more.

I would pick up a D810 now and upgrade when the new camera is actually available. Life's too short!
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I really doubt Nikon can release a 75mp camera for a long while. They have a problem with data throughput as the Expeed architecture is still unable to multi-process unlike the canon processor chips. still they have started getting it in. I think the latest Expeed5 can partly duo-process. Maybe the next iterations Expeed6 or Expeed7 can have 4 or 16 processors! then we will be cooking with gas ( or is it spelled NAS !) so for now If we do get a 75MP sensor it will probably be going at 2 FPS :-) Maybe 2 and a half... FPS ;-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

@heartyfisher The Expeed has always been a multi-core system. They explicitly called out dual processors since expeed 3, and since then it is both multi-core and dual processor. The phrase they use is dual multi-core.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expeed
    If you look at the Milbeaut specs, they have always used multiple FR-V cores within the processors:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milbeaut

Canon just does a better job marketing, Nikon's technology is actually better.

Expeed 3:

"High-speed dual multi-core image-processing engines with world record (Nikon claim) 600 megapixels per second speed, enhanced H.264 HD video engine and controlled by a dual-core ARM microcontroller are the main improvements.[9][18][40] Its high speed allows the world's fastest speed (Nikon claim) of 60 frames per second (10 fps with full autofocus)."
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited November 2016
    unfortunately its not just marketing :-) the EOS-1D X (2012) uses 3 Digic chips.. so does other high FPS canons like the 7Dm2 ( I may have been unclear.. as I was half asleep the last post I made :-) ) Nikon's Expeed does indeed have multi cores and its a good improvement. But Nikon cant have multiple chips working together in parallel processing. With Nikon all the data is still going into one chip. The one chip now has multiple cores which is a very nice improvement (since expeed4 I think they actually make use of it! ) but the bottleneck is still the data-bus getting all the data into that 1 chip. Its also one of the reasons Nikon writes the images to the 2 SD cards one at a time and not in parallel. We know Nikon is not a software powerhouse. the OS on their cameras are like running in DOS not like Android. :-)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Trust me, pure BS from canon. They write to the cards one at a time as well, there is only one data bus, they need multiple chips just to keep up! The expeed is inherently multi processor. I'll show you the specs from the manufacturer. At the "OS" programming interface level, Nikon is more sophisticated, which is why it is harder to hack than canon.
    My Nikon 1 V3 can process 60 fps at 18mp, that's over 1000megapixels per second. Show me the canon product that even comes close.
    edited December 2016
    Any more news on the D8X0 ? Found this: http://photographyupdates.com/nikon-d850-4k-dslr-specifications/ AND How can be he so confident ??!!

Post edited by shubhabrata29 on
    Seems to know what Nikon are doing before they do. Total Guess work.
    Yes total guess work, like all of us here!
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    Why does he keep looking around suspiciously? I think he broke into this house, found the back patio, recorded this video, and hauled ass before the cops showed up!
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL