D850

Comments

• BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    Question for you guys. One of the benefits of FF I often see touted is that it has better image acuity due to the larger photosites on the sensor. Is this benefit being lost (if it ever actually existed) with high MP cameras like D850 and 5DS, where the photosites are now DX size? Or, is this loss negated by higher resolution lenses and/or simply resizing the image resolution down in post?
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    @rmp I am on the fence. If I had the D800 it would be a no brainier. The thing I am struggling with is that the D810 is so close to many of the specs of the D850 that I am contemplating waiting to see what Nikon mirrorless camera will be. If the rumors continue to support that it will be released in 2018 I may pass on the D850. I really like my D810's and D500 combo. I doubt I will pre order but will buy if Nikon does not release a solid mirroless camera.
  • tganiatstganiats Posts: 131Member
    @BVS My "lay" answer is that all things equal you are right, but that the technology of 2017 is better than the technology of 2014...So you can produce a smaller photosite that is better (e.g., better DR). That said, it seems that a 20 MP camera could now have amazing DR...but there are competing demands. Would love to hear what others think.... (I give my lay answer to help keep us on cameras! ;-)

• snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    @BVS: If you had only one pixel you would want it to be large, but when you look at the sensor as a whole, I don't think small pixels in general are a bad thing. Rather they give you higher resolution. The good thing about a large sensor is that it collects more light and can fit more pixels.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Bad news guys, the mod is back. Keep it on track-ish please.
    Always learning.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I have a 2009 D3s plus a D810. I'm thinking replace the D3s w/ the new D850 and use the D810/D850 combo. That's if the D850 will be able to do 8fps + updated AF it should kill the D3s in keepers.

framer
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    edited August 2017
    The D850 does have my interest. I have the D500 and a D5100. Can't let go of the D5100 as my 10 year old shooting companions like the small camera for their small hands.

I know some do not like to shoot with a DX and a FX but it looks like their is an advantage in doing that to get double use from a lens using the crop factor with out loosing any f stops. I am using FX glass on the DX cameras except on the wide end where FX is too long.

For now I am concentrating on some glass for night time sports and wildlife so no cash for a new camera. I will have to wait and see how the D850 shakes out. After putting a grip on the D500 I think all future cameras should have one.

Post edited by retread on
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 738Member
    @spraynpray - But boss, we were on track - just a paved one. :blush: As to the 850, it is simply far beyond my abilities, needs, and budget. It would be cool to have. Like a Por*&# (oops) but I can't even begin to rationalize buying one. I may pick up a refurb 810 one of these days but the 850 is "out there."
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    rmp said:

How many people on this forum will pre order a D850? Count me in -- 1.

Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    I'd use D850 and D500 as primery and D7200 as a backup body.
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 909Member
    paulr said:

rmp said:

How many people on this forum will pre order a D850? Count me in -- 1.

Thinking seriously about it even if I never shoot for pay again. I'd spend far more for bass boat, pickup, etc. Then the insurance. That D850 is beginning to look like a cheap playmate for my D810. The D850 can play right here in my on backyard as well those of local friends here in the TN wilds.

• starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    when my d800 falls apart... i will buy the d850. there are only 2 screws keeping the back plate attached to the main body, lol.
  • DR and Stacking SW need to be winners before I pull the trigger. That T/S issue still nags me but..., well let's see results and look for new lens announcements. It's a maybe at this point.
    nukuEX2 said:

I'd use D850 and D500 as primery and D7200 as a backup body.

I like that. I have a D7200 living here even it I don't own it. Great back up for my D500. Now what backs up the D850? A D5 or the D810? I can see a good case for each.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    When I concluded a couple of months ago that it was only going to be 46 MP and have nothing extra to interest me over the 810 so I bought another 810 for less than $1800 ..so I now have two 810 an 800 and two 7100.. With the wedding market turning to crap and retirement looming I think I will stay as I am until I sell it all and by anew.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    I decided half a year ago when I bought the D810 and Sigma 500/4 that I will wait for two years and see what happens to the market before I buy more f mount stuff, especially with regards to mirrorless and medium format cameras. I kind of see DSLRs as film cameras with a digital sensor. Mirrorless cameras are more fully digital and open up new possibilities. I also have a slight problem with XQD cards. If I need a camera in the near future I will probably buy another D810. It is great to be able to share accessories between cameras.

Having said all of that I do think the D850 will be the greatest DSLR to date, and part of me will definitely want to buy it :). I think of it as the first full frame DSLR with both high resolution and lots of fps. I look forward to read all the reviews and also hope it will bring good money to Nikon.
  • mauryrmauryr Posts: 5Member
    I would be very interested in an 850 to replace my 800 but will wait about a year. No more being an early adopter of nikon. Fool me once....
  • NukeNuke Posts: 64Member
    retread said:

Does anyone think the D850 sensor could be a D500 cut to FX instead of DX with some tweaking? I am not sure I am using the right math but think it works. If so that would make some interesting possibility's for a D500 up grade.

Not my math but posted elsewhere and how they are coming up with the numbers.

"No it should pretty much be the same pixel pitch because usually the sensor effective resolution and total pixel count are not the same (as some border pixels are not used for image capture). In the D500 the difference between effective and total pixel count is 21MP / 22 MP = 95%. So if we scale the D500 sensor size (23.5x15.7 mm) to D810 size (35.9x24mm) the total pixel count is about 48.2 MP, then applying the same ~95% scaling you get about 45.8 which is the rumoured spec."
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited August 2017
    Dx vs Fx conversion rate is 2.2 to 2.3 depending on what the exact dimensions of the sensors are... (yeah the nikon sensor are not exactly the same dimensions)

so 46 MP / 2.2 = 20.9 so yes its looks like it has the same (or very similar) pixel pitch to the D500, if the rumoured spec is 46MP.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited August 2017

Dx vs Fx conversion rate is 2.2 to 2.3 depending on what the exact dimensions of the sensors are... (yeah the nikon sensor are not exactly the same dimensions)

so 46 MP / 2.2 = 20.9 so yes its looks like it has the same (or very similar) pixel pitch to the D500, if the rumoured spec is 46MP.

I was using 2.25 so guess I was in the ball park. It would be real interesting to find that in a DX if the D850 rumors are in fact what it turns out to be. I think they would make an awsome pair.

We have D5 and D500, any one think of D850 and D8500. The numbering for a D8500 is not used.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Will strongly consider it, but I won't be an early adopter, particularly since my D800 and D810 are working very well. Had considered buying a D500, but this in some ways might be better, at least for the way I'd planned on using the D500. But to each their own. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the price tag.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited August 2017
    The US price seems in line with the last gen. International prices are simply insane thought.

Nikon Canada, $4399,95 (MSRP). A $1000 price increase over the D810 is selling for now, or $1500 more than D810 release price.
    U.K. 3499 pounds, over 1000 pound price increase.

Nikon is crazy if they think they move a lot of them outside the US at that kind of price hike.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    If one assumes the quoted US Price excludes any "sales Tax") then it's around £340 (roughly €370) +VAT more expensive in the UK & Europe than in the US!! Why??
    Why isn't the price without VAT roughly the same across the world?

In Australia for example, the price quoted by commenters on the main blog post is more than $1600 AUD more than in the US. GST in Australia is only 10%, so why the price hyke?

(Sorry, rant over now...)

Cheers,
    Baldy ;)
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I wasn't a bit interested in it but now I am Curious. I have my last wedding planned in November and after that I'm sticking to portraits and architecture, cars, landscape.
    I'll be selling the backup bodies, the macro lens and I may take up adorama's offer to trade in current gear for it. Although what I really want is the 105mm 1.4 nikon