D850

Comments

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,706Member
    Good point Coastalconn. BIF and sports shooting, anything which in which the subject is moving fast, will be better shot with an OVF until an EVF has nearly zero lag time. I had thought starting next year all new Nikon bodies would be mirrorless but there still may be a need for an OVF in the next cycle of professional bodies to meet the needs of those who shoot fast moving subjects.
    Pistnborke: "will they ever learn" reminds me of a song. www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgXNVA9ngx8
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    I've never had anyone really explain why I might want a mirrorless DSLR yet. I mean, I guess it would be smaller but is that all I would gain?
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    edited August 2017
    @Searcy, this is what I have figured out: With a mirrorless camera you see the image as it is recorded by the sensor (the most important point to me). Since the EVF is a computer screen you can add all kinds of information in there, like a histogram. It is a simpler construction, meaning it should last longer and be less prone to malfunctioning, possibly less expensive. The shooting speed is not limited by a mirror, meaning lots of fps. Phase detection AF is less prone to errors because it doesn't rely on the mirror. It could be made smaller.

Edit: And it is less noisy.
    Post edited by snakebunk on
  • moreorlessmoreorless Posts: 120Member
    I certainly wouldn't mind a design that would switch between the two to say aid manual focusing or highlight blowout. Besides update rate and AF performance I still think one clear advantage of the mirror is in DR. A EVF might show closer to the output file but what if I'm shooting with the intent to post process? an OVF allows me to see a greater range of DR allowing me to compose for details in shadow that might not be visible with an EVF.
    @moreorless: That is an interesting point. It would be good to hear about how it is to work with the EVF from someone who has shot a lot using recent models of both DSLRs and mirrorless. I have only tried mirrorless cameras briefly (Fujifilm) and really liked the EVF at that point.
  • moreorlessmoreorless Posts: 120Member
    Personally I find it depends a lot what I'm shooting, for say shadowy woodland landscapes with very high DR I always go with an OVF, even when I'm shooting on a tripod.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member

I must be the only one left on the planet that doesn't care about mirrorless... Until there is 0 lag and killer AF I could care less.. I probably still wouldn't care because I just don't see how a little mirrorless box would balance on a my 500 F4...

+1 as well
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    LOL - @Coastalconn, you are not alone. I am using 600mm FL F/4 lens which is lighter than the old 600mm and it still begs for a heavy camera body.

I also feel the same about the lag in the mirrorless and the live view displays which are still way too slow for wildlife shooting except when birds are stationary. Shooting a mirrorless camera(I've tried a few of them) for me significantly increases anxiety and stress levels which are not present with an OVF.

I asked the question about live view lag in the BHPhoto Live presentation of the D850 and did not get a reply.
    photographylife.com/nikon-d850-hybrid-viewfinder#more-147253
    Here is a diagram.

• AbhinavAbhinav Posts: 40Member

Question: Should anyone jump on D850 as soon as it is announced or wait for the FF mirrorless as forecasted ? Or will they arrive at same time ?

I would say wait for a couple of month at least after its release .Buying a new model right can be risky .
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    Just got a call from my B&M. Put my deposit on the D850 as I'm umber 10 on the list. They seem confident I will make the first shipment from them. He told me Nikon will overnight the cameras to them on the 6th, arriving them on the 7th. I live out of state so they will then (if they receive 10 bodies) overnight it to me. I'm pretty confident I'll get it from the B&M sooner than B&H where I also ordered as soon as the link went live. Don't know whether I'll cancel the B&H order or just buy two. Depends on how fast B&H fills my order I suppose. The B&M allowed me to get on their list 3 weeks ago and there were already 9 people listed. Looking forward to hands on tomorrow night at B&M D850 event.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member

I must be the only one left on the planet that doesn't care about mirrorless... Until there is 0 lag and killer AF I could care less.. I probably still wouldn't care because I just don't see how a little mirrorless box would balance on a my 500 F4...

You are hardly alone in this.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    I also want killer af, near zero lag and a big camera, but it doesn't make me not interested in mirrorless.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I keep talking myself out of getting it but I'm beginning to weaken. Just saw a video of the focus stacking, nice.

framer
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited September 2017
    @framer i have weakened. I have two bodies, two lens and battery grip packed and ready to ship. I'm still debating but here is my reasoning. I will not be doing events so I will be left with the D850 and Df. I will keep 14-24, 50 art, 70-200 f4 85 1.8g, 105 2.8g and 50mm 1.2 ai-s. Essentially I will only need one camera going forward and the Df will be my collectors item or passed down to my kids as she loves to photograph as well at 4yrs old. I still have some Tascam and video head that I can maybe do video again. I have always wanted to do timelapse but never did it due to shutter count. Now it can use one shutter to do a long time lapse. Macro, I have always wanted to do this and now with focus stacking I can do it again
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    edited September 2017
    That looks like a well thought out kit Vipmediastar. You owned the 58G, correct? What is your verdict on this controversial lens? I just ordered it so that I can form my own opinion.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited September 2017
    @WestEndFoto I loved it. My first one was returned then few months later re-ordered it and it was better. The 58mm is going away because I was using it for events to have something "different" during the getting ready and For the rest of the day it was the Sigma art to ensure sharpness. It was also my everyday lens with df or d750 for personal work.

Even though sharpness and focus is essential sometimes the not so sharp or slightly out of focus will sometimes be a great emotional photo or what some call it lens character. I was able to achieve that with the 58mm. NO regrets with the lens there but I will probably be using the sigma more for the Scapes and everyday stuff by simplifying
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    edited September 2017
    I'll drop this here for those interested in file size with the D850. For reference, 38 JPEG and 42 NEF files filled a 4GB SD Card.

Screen-Shot-2017-09-01-at-9.49.50-PM
    Post edited by autofocus on
  • starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    Uncompressed raw is probably 125mbytes or so then :open_mouth:
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    edited September 2017
    First price reduction.

The UK price is £3499 and the first grey price delivered by Digirev is £2960.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    I have dealt with DR in the past with no problems,However not spent £3500 either. Clearly this is a grey import and not through official Nikon sources, so not sure about the warranty with Nikon Uk. Is £500 worth piece of mind in view that this is a new design not a small upgrade and maybe [Hope not} they could be call backs?
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    I agree but if there is a problem they ship it back to japan memd it and send it back .
    Would not buy myself until its been tested for a few months .