D850

Comments

• tganiatstganiats Posts: 131Member
    @proudgeek isn't going to be an early adopter. I'm not usually. But I have needs not met or marginally met with D800...I am doing fine with it, but I think I could do better. Ordered mine. :-)
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member

Although what I really want is the 105mm 1.4 nikon

Very nice glass..

Denver Shooter
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    edited August 2017
    Well now we know the true specs of the D850, I am quite impressed , Price wise £3500 in the Uk is not cheap ,but compared to Medium Format and the equivalent Canon , its not over priced. You can wait 6 months and the price will drop, but you could be dead too, so what the hell, if you want it, go out and buy it. I have, rock on, September!
    Post edited by paulr on
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    paulr said:

. You can wait 6 months and the price will drop, but you could be dead too, so what the hell, if you want it, go out and buy it.

Well Said B)
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Along those very lines, I'm back. Had a bit of a health scare, and then a crap-ton of work hit me. Since you only go around once, I just ordered a new D850 from my local camera store. I'm #1 on the list for that store and #3 companywide. I should have the new beastie in my hands on Sept 9th is what they told me B)
  • starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    Ironheart said:

Along those very lines, I'm back. Had a bit of a health scare, and then a crap-ton of work hit me. Since you only go around once, I just ordered a new D850 from my local camera store. I'm #1 on the list for that store and #3 companywide. I should have the new beastie in my hands on Sept 9th is what they told me B)

:open_mouth: hope you're feeling better, and hope you enjoy the camera :)
    i plan to order one next year... maybe in february
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 739Member
    edited August 2017
    Ironheart said:

Glad to hear it was only a scare. Have a great time with the camera. I'm looking forward to some hands on reviews.
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    I have not been doing much related to photography lately as I have been busy with building a new house and with some projects in my professional life. But I enrolled in a course this fall so I am getting back into the game.

I ordered a D850 today along with the MB-D18 grip and two EN-EL18b batteries. I really like the idea of getting more than 7,000 shots before I have to change a battery and 9 shots per second is pretty nice too. However, there are too many improvements over my D800 to list. I am going to really enjoy getting to know my new mistress.

I also ordered a 400mm 2.8E, 105 1.4E and 58 1.4G. When Nikon brings out a 200 2.0E and 35 1.4E, this will finish off my "portrait set".

I am really excited about getting back in the saddle.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yee-ikes! That's blown the budget!
    Always learning.
  • starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member

I have not been doing much related to photography lately as I have been busy with building a new house and with some projects in my professional life. But I enrolled in a course this fall so I am getting back into the game.

I ordered a D850 today along with the MB-D18 grip and two EN-EL18b batteries. I really like the idea of getting more than 7,000 shots before I have to change a battery and 9 shots per second is pretty nice too. However, there are too many improvements over my D800 to list. I am going to really enjoy getting to know my new mistress.

I also ordered a 400mm 2.8E, 105 1.4E and 58 1.4G. When Nikon brings out a 200 2.0E and 35 1.4E, this will finish off my "portrait set".

I am really excited about getting back in the saddle.

400mm :open_mouth: the 105mm blew me away. its sharp!
    but the 58 still has a little something that makes it feel special.. have fun w the new gear!
    In the Uk and you are savvy about the D850 price, I have found the best time to buy was in late November/early December, dealers are very quite and are happy to do deals, plus the D850 price might have settled and all the new firmwares will be out , Maybe.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    It's looking like time to sell a few things on ebay, D3s, 15mm AIS, 20mm AFS. My D3s is pushing 9 years old. The 15 & 20 has not been on my camera since I got a 14-24 a year ago. I've always believed in ordering early but after so many early issues I'll wait to the 1st of the year to see what develops.

framer
    Almost $30k, but you have no idea Spraynpray. Add to that Solux lighting in the whole house (Solux is the lighting of choice for fine galleries), the Synology NAS Nasim recommended with 8 WD Gold 10tb harddrives, the CAT6 cabling, the associated network infrastructure, the Surface laptop, the two Asus 32" 4k monitors, the 52" by 36" by 24" safe to hold the camera gear, the alarm system and insurance to further protect the gear, the reinforced flooring to hold a 1,200 lb safe etc.

A little over a hundred grand.

That D850? A rounding error.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    @WestEndFoto Nice to see you back too. Interesting to note that you opened this thread over a year and a half ago ;)

The discussion and blog posts have me thinking about the replacement for the D810 and my next upgrade, the D820 (likely as this seems to fit with Nikon's numbering system).

The latest blog, the rumour regarding two XQD cards, caught my attention. It makes me wonder if my investment in SD cards is going to be useful - are XQD readers able to read and write to SD cards? Even though I plan to upgrade to a D820, not a D5, I believe that Nikon "may" adopt the same card reading technology for the D820.

Yes, my "hope" regarding XQD didn't come to fruition. But the D850 is better than my prediction at the time was, so it is a small quibble.
    Its amazing in the Uk that Dealers are asking £3500 for the D850 and offering between £1000 and £1356 for a D810 thats valuing it less than a D610
    They must think all their Christmas's have come at once.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I am amazed at the number of D800 and D810 for sale on Craig's List. By my last count there were 2 of each posted for sale. You would think they would be retained for back up cameras. Must be those advanced amateurs who want the newest and best moving up. :)
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I am one of those armatures that is trying to make a buck or two now and then. I shoot with a D500 and a D5100 for backup. Mostly high school but some prep school basketball and maybe some bush league baseball next summer.

Beginning to think about the D850 to shoot along side the D500. It is not a D5 but for the price of the D5 I can have a D850 and the Sigma 120-300 sport for some more reach and f2.8 at night games. With these and the 70-200 f2.8 using the crop factor of the D500 I can cover 70-450 all at 2.8. I think this should work as when I use the 150-600 I seldom go over 400mm at sports events and it doesn't like it when the sun goes down.

I shoot a few stage events also but wildlife is my real love. If I could figure out how to do this with out selling the farm!!!
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    That would be a nice combination of lens retread. If you are thinking of the D850 you got to think about the size of your HD for storing those larger files.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    retread said:

... the 70-200 f2.8 using the crop factor of the D500 I can cover 70-450 ...

For covering 70-450, you need to put the 70-200 on the D850, and then bring BOTH cameras. If you bring only one, your D500 gives you no extra options of coverage, as you'll always be able to use the D850 and crop to get the same picture as the D500 would have provided, thanks to the high resolution of the D850. Or actually, a slightly better image, because its sensor is newer and better.
    Times change - with the D850, DX cameras no longer have significantly longer reach then FX ... until the 32 MP or 36 MP DX bodies arrive. But then, people will probably realize that their lenses and (lack of) skills are where the actual limitations are.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
    Photobug said:

That would be a nice combination of lens retread. If you are thinking of the D850 you got to think about the size of your HD for storing those larger files.

It is about time for another external hard drive now anyway.

D850 should be good for the times the grandkids say "Gramps you are taking my graduation photos".
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 910Member
    I may have missed the spec but what are the frames per second when AC is used to power the camera? Has it be declared? I look for things in my hand so .....
    Sports said:

retread said:

... the 70-200 f2.8 using the crop factor of the D500 I can cover 70-450 ...

For covering 70-450, you need to put the 70-200 on the D850, and then bring BOTH cameras. If you bring only one, your D500 gives you no extra options of coverage, as you'll always be able to use the D850 and crop to get the same picture as the D500 would have provided, thanks to the high resolution of the D850. Or actually, a slightly better image, because its sensor is newer and better.
    Times change - with the D850, DX cameras no longer have significantly longer reach then FX ... until the 32 MP or 36 MP DX bodies arrive. But then, people will probably realize that their lenses and (lack of) skills are where the actual limitations are.
    My plan is 70-200 on the D850 = 70-200 and the 120-300 on the D500 = 180-450 with the crop factor and yes I plan to use both cameras. Cropping the D850 can work in some instances and not in others. A trouble I have is that sometimes the 180 will not be short enough. 70 will be shorter that I need most of the time but I can go out and still stay under 180. I doubt the 70-200 and cropping with the D850 will always be the best option.

I shoot most of the time from a monopod. Changing lenses takes too long so one camera and two lenses is not an option. I have seen others shoot with big lens on a monopod and hand held with the smaller one. Works for them so I should be able to make it work.

I have tried the 150-600 and do not need the long end but do need extra light that the f2.8 will bring.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    doesn't the D850 specs look like its a D500++ ? ie there is just about nothing that the D850 doesnt do better than the D500 .. Maybe I should tradein my D500 and get the D850 ? The D500 is a monster of a camera.. what does that make the D850 ?
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    I am interested to know ifthey still have the stupid memory banks or if they have made one lockable ...dont suppose we will know until we see a manual or someone gets one on sept 9th and lets us know..