D850

Comments

• KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Same 7fps / 9fps with the grip/battery.

I may have missed the spec but what are the frames per second when AC is used to power the camera? Has it be declared? I look for things in my hand so .....

D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member

there is just about nothing that the D850 doesnt do better than the D500

10 fps vs. 7 fps. in their basic configuration is quite a difference, even if it's insignificant in most situations.
    And was the flicker detection feature mentioned for the D850?
    You are right, if you can afford the D850, it's hard to find reasons for owning the D500.
    For me personally, the D500 was a bit more expensive than my budget allowed for (but I "had to" buy it anyway, of course :-) ) It means, luckily, that the D850 is completely out of the question for me. But it sure looks in many ways like a D500 killer (as well as a D5 killer and a Canon "everything"D killer).
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    Sports said:

there is just about nothing that the D850 doesnt do better than the D500

10 fps vs. 7 fps. in their basic configuration is quite a difference, even if it's insignificant in most situations.
    And was the flicker detection feature mentioned for the D850?
    You are right, if you can afford the D850, it's hard to find reasons for owning the D500.
    For me personally, the D500 was a bit more expensive than my budget allowed for (but I "had to" buy it anyway, of course :-) ) It means, luckily, that the D850 is completely out of the question for me. But it sure looks in many ways like a D500 killer (as well as a D5 killer and a Canon "everything"D killer).
    D500 killer: well not really but can double for it in many ways.

D5 killer: The D5 is a specialized tool. For what it does best the D850 can't touch it. You can get a excellent lens and D850 for the cost of the D5.

Cannon killer: Cannon will respond with something just give them some time.

I also went over my budget for the D500. The D850 looks like it could shoot with my D500 and also do things the D500 can't. I especially am looking at the things outside sports and wildlife the D850 can do.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    Sports, the D850 has the flicker feature.

I can't think of anything the D500 can do that the D850 with the grip and EN-E18 batteries can't do as well as or better.

Including burning a hole in your pocket. That grip with two of those batteries, charger etc. was $1200 and I got a deal. Total cost of the camera was CDN $5300 plus tax.

Well, the D500 has one extra FPS. But can somebody please convince me why that would really matter. Coastalconn?

So I think that the D500 remains relevant with its price point.
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 910Member
    Just thinking silently what a D850 should do in portrait mode on a panorama head with 5 shots. With Nikon glass it should be a killer for large wall panoramas.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,709Member
    Why buy a D500 rather than a D850? Price, if you don't need a full frame sensor, don't need better dynamic range, don't need 46mp for increased sharpness or huge printing and don't need to shoot clean at ISO 6,400. From what I have read I expect the D850 to shoot clean one stop or more better than the D500 at high ISO and to have better dynamic range at base ISO. You can get a refurbished D500 for half the price of a D850. When the D850 is reviewed we will learn the truth about what it does offer above and beyond what the D500 offers.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 739Member
    Man, part of me is really hoping the reviews are mixed. Steve Perry has a spec based review on his site and, if this thing is as good as he makes it sound I may have to sell my other kidney and go on dialysis. I am in no way a competent enough photographer to use what this thing can do, but the symptoms of GAS/NAS a starting to stir.
  • CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    edited August 2017
    @WestEndFoto my ears were ringing... hmmm, well for what it's worth I listed my backup D500, my D750 and a Sigma 18-35 art on FM for a price that is Ironically close to a D850... :) Perhaps that will answer your question...
    Post edited by Coastalconn on
    Hummm will the market be flooded with used D500's? May be an opportunity to pick up a good used one under the money. I kind of hope not as I already have mine and am hoping by the time I get another lens the D850 price will start coming down.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member

@WestEndFoto my ears were ringing... hmmm, well for what it's worth I listed my backup D500, my D750 and a Sigma 18-35 art on FM for a price that is Ironically close to a D850... :) Perhaps that will answer your question...

What does "FM" stand for?
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    Yes Coastalconn. I thought so.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited August 2017
    Photobug said:

FM is an abbreviation of another online photography community. I suspect mentioning it in full might flag the post, so I won't put the full name either.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited August 2017
    PB_PM said:

Photobug said:

FM is an abbreviation of another online photography community. I suspect mentioning it in full might flag the post, so I won't put the full name either.
    Got it, makes sense. Thanks Donald for the PM.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    I did? Hmm, Don't recall sending a PM here...
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    Coastcon sent a PM, but @Coastalconn didn't.
    It's getting interesting ....
    (Or is it :/ )
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110

I did? Hmm, Don't recall sending a PM here...

Opps...wrong person. I corrected my message.
  • MegapixelSchnitzelMegapixelSchnitzel Posts: 185Member
    I will wait a bit. I never pull the trigger on the first batch. There will be glitches; there will be firmware updates. There will be a black dot placed in the tripod socket...
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited August 2017
    at the moment if I do get it it will be just in time for my holiday to south east Asia.... in March.. so should be enough time for any glitches to surface and corrected
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,709Member
    Early issues have not been a problem for me. I had one of the first D600 bodies. Yes, it did spit some spots on the sensor. No problem, I just learned to do a dry and wet sensor cleaning and after about the third cleaning it wasn't a problem anymore. No need to have the mirror mechanism changed or to get a D610. It is good to learn how to clean your sensor since all sensors over time will need cleaning anyway and there is no need to send such a minor task into Nikon for "repair." Have one of the first D750 bodies and I had no "flare" issues. I don't shoot with the sun just outside my frame anyway and that is when the "flare" issue would occur so if my camera had have had it I would never see it in my photos, it wouldn't bother me. Have one of the first D800 bodies and had no issues with it. I am not afraid of early issues. They are generally minor and magnified out of proportion by the internet. I ordered a D850. While others wait for "teething issues" I will be enjoying the camera and taking hundreds or thousands of photos with it. But to each his own level of "risk."
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    edited August 2017
    My orders in, However to get the maximum from this new high megapixel camera, Glass now becomes a very important factor.I have used Zeiss lenses with a D810, manual of course. But to take advantage of the new auto focus system and touch screen, I need to look at the new E type lenses Nikon are now producing. The 28m 1.4 suits my particular needs. Anybody have any experience of this lens ?
    Looks like a knock on the bank managers Door again !!!
    Post edited by paulr on
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    Well after watching all the videos and reviews for the D850 I think we are looking at the precursor to the Nikon Mirrorless ILC. The only thing missing is a look at what Nikon will do with the EVF. All the makings other than the EVF are present in the D850. Mind you I'm not in the "I have to have mirrorless or I'm quitting" camp. I still have enough stamina to carry a DSLR all day. That said, I do believe there is already a prototype being tested. Not under NDA but in house. We shall see soon enough I suppose.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    edited August 2017
    @autofocus: The evf is one thing. Another thing is autofocus, since all af points must be on the sensor. Also I would expect most of the software to be rewritten to take full advantage of the mirrorless system. And there is a possibility that mirrorless comes with a new mount. I feel pretty sure that the first mirrorless camera from Nikon will be a completely new thing.
    Post edited by snakebunk on
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    Talked with a guy who tested a D850 for Nikon ....SSDD the same old horrible floating memory banks ...will they ever learn.
    I must be the only one left on the planet that doesn't care about mirrorless... Until there is 0 lag and killer AF I could care less.. I probably still wouldn't care because I just don't see how a little mirrorless box would balance on a my 500 F4...

I must be the only one left on the planet that doesn't care about mirrorless... Until there is 0 lag and killer AF I could care less.. I probably still wouldn't care because I just don't see how a little mirrorless box would balance on a my 500 F4...

+1