D850

Comments

• rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Pistenbroke said "... for wedding photography...The only usable wedding lens is the 28-300."

Do you feel that the zoom rage is the main reason for that statement?
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    That is what I am hoping but Nikon is a bit late to judge by the sales of the sony r111
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,705Member
    Yes, Nikon is late. Hopefully, they will include the best featured, such as eye focus, pioneered by other companies and add more including Nikon's superior image quality.
    RMP its all to do with not changing lenses and not carrying extra lenses..I have a D800 with a 14mm and an 810 with a 28-300. Now that lens is waterproof ...I went to the toilet on the last wedding and it swung into the flow ....worked great ...now call me a pi$$ artist if you want ......ha ha
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Water resistant is good.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    I would cover off 24-200 at 2.8 with two bodies, cost seems to be an issue.

Have you actually compared the shutters Pstnbroke?
    Cost is always an issue when you are earning your living from photography because the less you spend on equipment the more profit you have to live on. In contrast, U-tube photographers often get the latest gear to review. I doubt they keep much of the gear they review. For example, Ken Rockwell seems to review almost every new Nikon or Canon body or lens. I suspect he gets them from Amazon, photographs them, takes some photos with them and sends most of them back. That's fine with me, just saying. Some time ago digital cameras were sufficient to produce images "normal" people will pay for. The D810, for example, will produce prints far larger than most people want to buy. Pistnbroke, I think, finds today in the UK most people just want him to give them the jpegs.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Most of the well known reviewers are given test samples (short term loaners) from either manufactures or store that they deal with. What they actually own and use, that they pay for.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Various wedding photographers have various different techniques and Pistnbroke's technique is about as different as they come. I admire his rationalisation of the process and demand which means in an increasingly difficult market he is able to continue to make enough money to live. I admire that, but chose to give it up myself.
    Always learning.
    Yes, it is good to have Pistnbroke here because he discusses a practical technique which is "incorrect" according to many other "talking head experts" on U-Tube. I too find "incorrect" techniques very practical at times so it is good to hear them discussed. For example, you can largely tune ("pre process") your RAW in camera by making adjustments to Picture Controls. Then your camera process the RAW in camera to produce a JPEG you like. When shooting in the studio you have control over your dynamic range so you should not have either blown highlights you need to recover or deep shadows which need lightening. If you do, you need to pay attention to and use your histogram and "blinkie" assist on your rear LCD. I almost always shoot RAW + JPEG for most situations and find the JPEG is all I need more than 90% of the time in studio. The JPEG file is able to handle any small adjustments needed. Shooting landscapes outdoors is another matter because I no longer have control over the dynamic range of the existing light. Then I use the RAW file in post processing. Shooting portraits outdoors I find Nikon's fill flash of off camera TTL works well enough in reducing the dynamic range to use the JPEG image most of the time. This reminds me of the last few U-Tube videos by Tony Northrup and Jared Polin debating shooting RAW vs. JPEG. Interesting debate. I certainly agree RAW is more flexible and in that sense much better. But as a practical matter do you really need to post process each image from RAW? I think not. In many situations I find you can let the camera carry some of the load by "pre-processing" the image for you. A few commentators have remarked the D850 produces the best JPEGs to date from Nikon. I agree with that mostly ignored comment.
  • Toro2222Toro2222 Posts: 2Member
    Where can a get a D850 body before 1.Dec?
    I`m visiting the US next friday and for a week and a bit

Online or in a store in Louisiana

This is super important to me and more as its my 50th birthday present from the whole family.
    I doubt there are any on line you can get delivered in a week or so. Probably best to call all the camera stores in the area where you will be and ask them if any have one.
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    The chance is much better at a real (local) camera store.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • Toro2222Toro2222 Posts: 2Member
    I will do just that. Call all brick/mortar stores in the area.
    Thats what I prefer anyway :-)
    Thanks guys
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    Toro2222 said:

I will do just that. Call all brick/mortar stores in the area.
    Thats what I prefer anyway :-)
    Thanks guys

Let us know how you do.
  • JJPhotosJJPhotos Posts: 47Member
    Well, that's me pre-ordered from Jessops today. Will keep you all posted on delivery times.
    JJN
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    Has anyone thought much about the film copying attachment for the D850? I have a bellows from back when. I used it to copy slides to film. It has a film holder for film. Any chance it would work?
    edited November 2017
    Will work perfect all the flange to sensor distances are the same as film days but you have the advantage of ittl ..point your flash at the screen on a cable ..maybe bracket the exposures. Negatives work good too ..just reverse in photoshop or whatever
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    Just be sure your bellows uses an AI mount, if it is non-AI it could damage the metering tab.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    Thanks I will have to dig it out and see what if I can use it when I get a chance.
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    Have anyone tried to give the latest snapbridge a shot and make it work? It's supposed to be improved. But I still can't get it to work. And there is no clear instructions about the steps to take and why. For example, on remote photography, are both the bluetooth/wifi on camera supposed to be on or only the wifi? How do I verify the wifi is on? It's as if the people who wrote it just put in some mumble jumble and ask you to go search for fake help that doesn't exist. Really a crap fest all around.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Been too busy and stopped reading this thread in late October. Today I was at the local dealer and talked to the regional Nikon sales representative. He told me that Nikon is making a point to supply "brick & mortar" stores and then the large mail order stores - minor shipments to the big stores. So as several have said in this thread and other threads, check local small and medium size stores in the USA for the D850. And yes, the local store had D850 in stock.

Spent 30 minutes with the D850 and overall I really liked it. Shooting in the APC mode at 8 megapixels at 30 fps was unbelievable. So quiet with the mirror up. Like the ISO button on top and the feel of the camera. Nice having the Nikon representative to answer the questions on a new camera. No wonder its selling so well...really nice camera.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited December 2017
    tc88 said:

Have anyone tried to give the latest snapbridge a shot and make it work? It's supposed to be improved. But I still can't get it to work. And there is no clear instructions about the steps to take and why. For example, on remote photography, are both the bluetooth/wifi on camera supposed to be on or only the wifi? How do I verify the wifi is on? It's as if the people who wrote it just put in some mumble jumble and ask you to go search for fake help that doesn't exist. Really a crap fest all around.

Snapbridge needs both WIFI and Bluetooth enabled to work. As the old saying goes, RTFM for your camera.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    PB_PM said:

Snapbridge needs both WIFI and Bluetooth enabled to work. As the old saying goes, RTFM for your camera.

(1) What you say is incorrect. Some of the functionality only needs Bluetooth.

(2) Your suggestion is ridiculous. How many people read their iphone manual? And if you arrived at the conclusion that Snapbridge needs both WIFI and Bluetooth by reading the manual, then the manual is wrong and you are no better.

BTW, both WIFI and bluetooth are wireless networking protocol. There is no need to make an implementation to require both and doing so only shows the incompetency of whoever implemented it.
    edited December 2017
    Bluetooth isn’t needed constantly, but it is used to achieve the connection, using the Bluetooth key to bypass the need for the using of a WIFI password, thus making the connection faster and more seamless. All this was discussed years ago when Snapbridge was first announced. Regardless of the fact that you think it’s ridiculous is irrevent, that is the system Nikon is using.

If you cannot be bothered to read the manual, that’s not my problem. It’s funny coming from the person who said there are no clear instructions on how it works. Yes there are, in the manual. :lol:
    Post edited by PB_PM on