D850

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    What kind of customer is so concerned about security Symphotic?
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited December 2017
    Military contractor. We were doing some pretty interesting stuff with the cameras underwater, but they didn't want any photos or videos taken of the facilities above water unless they controlled what was in the viewfinder.
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    Aden Camera on Yonge and Elm has a half dozen D850s and they ship. List is CDN 4,299, but they will they will do better if you call.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    edited December 2017
    I would not want wedding guests picking off photos because they are not edited or corrected
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • EiTaroEiTaro Posts: 35Member
    A firmware update is coming that will open the connectivity of the camera to third party applications.
    D800 | 16-35mm f4 | 50mm f1.4 | 70-200mm f2.8 | 150-600 Sport | SB910 | RRS
    How do you know this EiTaro?
  • EiTaroEiTaro Posts: 35Member
    By a Nikon Rep. He also said that it was a matter of copyrights. Nikon had to make the agreements first, so they decided to keep it that way until they were settled.
    D800 | 16-35mm f4 | 50mm f1.4 | 70-200mm f2.8 | 150-600 Sport | SB910 | RRS
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Today at BnH Jpgmini Pro is on sale. Reduces files size when exporting to jpg without loss of quality. It works stand alone or as a plug in via LightRoom. I have used it and saves space
    I love the focus stacking. This is going to make my job a lot easier. I only need a supercomputer now to handle all the layers since it is so easy now to use lots of layers when stacking in PS.

Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    I ran a quick resolution tests to compare the D810 to the D850 in preparation for some product documentation I'll shoot next week.

Using the D850 and a 24-70 mm lens at 70 mm, f/8 from 5 meters I could resolve the third set of bars on group 1 of the 1951 USAF test pattern, but only the second set with the D810.

This is significant for the kind of work I do, as I have to pick crops from previously shot photos, so this will give me access to more potential from each photo.

Also, it shows that the lens is NOT the limiting factor here. At least for this lens, it is still the sensor.

I think for me the payback will still be the savings in time and increase in throughput I'll get from focus stacking in macro work.
    Jack Roberts
    Symphotic said:

I ran a quick resolution tests to compare the D810 to the D850 in preparation for some product documentation I'll shoot next week.

Using the D850 and a 24-70 mm lens at 70 mm, f/8 from 5 meters I could resolve the third set of bars on group 1 of the 1951 USAF test pattern, but only the second set with the D810.

This is significant for the kind of work I do, as I have to pick crops from previously shot photos, so this will give me access to more potential from each photo.

Also, it shows that the lens is NOT the limiting factor here. At least for this lens, it is still the sensor.

I think for me the payback will still be the savings in time and increase in throughput I'll get from focus stacking in macro work.

Which 24-70. The G or E?
    G
    Jack Roberts
    edited December 2017
    Well, the grip is in - except the battery charger is on back order, so while I get the ergonomic benefit, the extra fps and battery life will have to wait a while.

RRS is producing the L-clamp slower than expected. It will probably be just after Christmas for that.

I had an uncontrollable attack of GAS..........I pulled the trigger on the 28 1.4E.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on

...I had an uncontrollable attack of GAS..........I pulled the trigger on the 28 1.4E.

I sprung for the 35 mm 1.4 myself this week.
    Jack Roberts
    I had an internal debate for several months on the 28 vs the 35. I may end up with both. One thing is for sure, I will be shooting it wide open a lot. Or else, I would be happy with my 28 2.8AIS and 40 2.0 (Voightlander) - these I use for landscapes at f/5.6 or f/8.0.
  • JJPhotosJJPhotos Posts: 47Member
    edited December 2017
    Evening all. I received my D850 this afternoon having ordered it on 27/11 so I'm very surprised at the speed it made it to me! I've taken a couple of very quick shots at ISO 3200 for demo purposes and will post more in the coming days. These are unedited apart from applying the LR profile corrections and converting to JPEG.

D80Kids (1 of 2)

Nikon 105mm/1.4 @ f1.4

D80Kids (2 of 2)

Nikon 35mm/1.8 @ f1.8
    Post edited by JJPhotos on
    JJN
    JJPhotos: those are very nice looking young people!
    Jack Roberts
  • RobLSRobLS Posts: 4Member
    Hello!

Just received my 850 last week.
    All I’ve done is adjust a lot of settings and then a family photo shoot today.
    After I got back home, I went through and cleared the clearly non keepers.
    A couple hours later I went to check out pictures again, none of the buttons respond on the camera.
    I turn on the camera, information shows on the top lcd, green light turns on on the back. I can illuminate the lights for the buttons.
    But not a single button on the entire body responds to anything. I’m not even able to do the two button reset.

I’ve pulled the battery, card (sandisk), lens. Issue persists.
    The only thing I’ve not done yet is charge the battery. It’s low at the last bar but that’s be weird if it’s considered normal.

Was really enjoying shooting with this camera and now it’s lowered my spirits.
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    edited December 2017
    Due to shipping safety consideration, the battery usually comes very little charged. The first thing you are supposed to do is to charge the battery after receiving it. That's most likely the cause. There is also an internal camera battery (that keeps time, setting, etc) that will drain the regular battery the first time it's put in.

The camera will shut off most functions if battery is low, just like a laptop.
    Post edited by tc88 on
    This is why they have a grip with a bigger battery ....I hope for your sake/
  • JJPhotosJJPhotos Posts: 47Member
    Yep, it's almost certainly just a flat battery. Mine had practically no charge when it arrived. The good news is that the EN-EL15 from the D600/D800 series work as well so I used one of those to setup the camera whilst the new one was charging.

JH
    JJN
  • RobLSRobLS Posts: 4Member
    just To clarify, I did charge the battery before I used the camera. I haven’t had the chance to plug the battery back into the charger yet so I still have not done that.
    I just don’t remember my 800 doing that when it got to the low point it is now. I just remember eventually the camera not coming on due to a dead battery, not semi dead.

I will see tonight though.
    edited December 2017
    It has a special cut out system no on other Nikon has to stop the battery cutting out mid shutter operation ...you should read your angry photographer more often..See here

Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Failing that (and bearing in mind I don't have a D850), I suppose you havent got a lock switch that you have knocked on and not turned back off have you? Don't ask how I learned that lesson...
    Always learning.