D850

Comments

• RobLSRobLS Posts: 4Member
    Update. It was due to a low battery.

Whew.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    rob ,,it was due to a low battery and the new Nikon shut down scenario....
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Older Nikon cameras do the same thing, when charge level is under 18% the shutter locks, and under 10% no screen activity.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    I had a lot of fun in Kyoto and Ise with my new D850 and a 35 mm lens. My friend from Kyoto and I decided to tour the shrines together at year end. It turns out, unbeknownst to me, he had just purchased a D850 himself. (He moved from a 5D mkII to the D800e and now the D850. Ive gone through a couple of D800s, and a D810, but I replace cameras because I destroy them on jobs. Fortunately, my company was kind enough to buy me an upgrade for my D810 without me having to destroy it.)

He used the 24-120 F4 zoom and I used the 35 mm F/1.4. I decided to use one lens, one focal length, and one F-stop for the whole two weeks in Japan. I varied the exposure time and ISO, and moved back and forth instead of zooming. On occasion I did vary the aperture, however. I carried a couple of other lenses (24 and 85) but didn't use them much.

Walking around and hiking up the hills and mountainsides of Kyoto and Ise, I think he was well served by the VR. I had to be a lot more careful about my breathing and hand shake than he did, so although the 35 at f/5.8 was noticeably sharper when well handled on the D850, the VR did yeoman's service on the zoom when I was too shaky.

We spent a lot of time in the hotel room taking test photos to compare the two lenses. The 35 mm is a very good performer. He liked setting the camera up in auto mode with silent (truly silent) to take photos of the sunrise.

I took some amazing depth of field shots using a tripod and Photoshop.

One thing both of us were pleasantly surprised with was the long battery life of the new "grey" batteries.

We both are pleased with our upgrades to the D850. We stopped in at Yodobashi near Kyoto station and played with the Sony A7R II and the Canon 5DS. I can see why they are both popular, but I didn't like the viewfinder of the Sony. The Canon felt great in my hands, and I could see myself using it, but for now we will stick with what we know.

Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    Below is a recent shot I took with my D850.

Rainy Nights

D850, 24-70mm 2.8E @ ISO 9000, f/2.8, 1/50sec

While an unremarkable shot technically, I am not even sure if I nailed the focus, the back story is what I find interesting. I appreciate this even more after watching the Imaging Resource article posted on the main blog that talked about how poorly the Sony stood up in the rain compared to my D850.

I shot an event for my company with my 24-70 2.8E on my D850 and my 105 1.4E on my D800. I was in pouring rain for four hours and my gear was soaked. And I am talking about the kind of rain that the Imaging Resource test imitated. About 2 or 3 inches in that time period.

All my gear held up quite well. It did not miss a heartbeat. That was a month ago.

There is something that I find compelling about this image. Certainly not a 10 out of 10, but just the same. I cannot put my finger on it.
    edited January 2018
    Yup, Nikon bodies do extremely well in rain and wet snow. Both my D700 and D800 stood the test of hours out in rain and wet snow. Just make sure you have weather sealed glass to go with it. Never had trouble with the following, 70-200mm F2.8G VRII, 24-70mm F2.8G, 16-35mm F4G VR, 105mm F2.8G. Wouldn't trust the older primes, or non-G/E pro zooms. The only thing you have to watch with the pro lenses is the glass can fog up, so have a micro fiber cloth handy.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • A plastic sleeve made to cover teles with attached camera are cheep and work very well to protect equipment in the worst of situations. They tie onto the lens so there is no room for presip to get in. Even work well with wides provided you are careful. I've used them in torential rain and hard snow storms. Really the only concern for me is having my breath fog the viewer or lcd, and when very cold, frost on the camera from freezing breath. The sleeve can mitigate this as well if used. Why take the risk of damage. These are clearly not as friendly to use with active sports.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Westend, your photo "tells the story" or "captures the mood" that you felt the night you took it. Those are special photos. They do not need to be sharp, hell they do not even be focused. They do not need to be technically good or composed with the "rules." It is a good photo. Enjoy it.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    edited January 2018
    flip said:

A plastic sleeve made to cover teles with attached camera are cheep and work very well to protect equipment in the worst of situations. They tie onto the lens so there is no room for presip to get in. Even work well with wides provided you are careful. I've used them in torential rain and hard snow storms. Really the only concern for me is having my breath fog the viewer or lcd, and when very cold, frost on the camera from freezing breath. The sleeve can mitigate this as well if used. Why take the risk of damage. These are clearly not as friendly to use with active sports.

I have used a plastic shopping bag with a hole for the lens held on by a rubber band and a small hole for the eye piece. I could feel the buttons through the bag and it worked fine. D500 with a 70-200 g shooting football.
    Post edited by retread on
    rmp said:

Westend, your photo "tells the story" or "captures the mood" that you felt the night you took it. Those are special photos. They do not need to be sharp, hell they do not even be focused. They do not need to be technically good or composed with the "rules." It is a good photo. Enjoy it.

Yes, RMP. I think you have nailed it. Now how to communicate that to the audience. I will think about that.

I appreciate your wisdom.
    Thanks, Westend, but That "wisdom" came from my wife.

On a trip to Costa Rica, I took 1200 pictures, after first deletions. My photo club asked each traveler to choose 5 for inclusion in a video. 5 out of 1200 -- that is some selection. After much, too much, consideration, I chose 5. One of those was out-of-focus, badly composed, badly exposed, but I liked it best of them all. Frustrated and confused by my choice, I stared at my computer screen and wondered what was wrong. My wife, a non-photographer, walked by, took one look and told me what I told you. She said it "captures the mood."
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I agree with Bob, but here is a thought: Try flipping it horizontally because we read left to right and subconsciously it would be more pleasing with her facing the other way.
    Always learning.
    Good insight! Try it.
    I was at the NEC Photoshow yesterday and had a good play with a D850. @Pistnbroke said it had a long blackout and is noisy in quiet environments but I found that live view continuous is utterly silent which surprised me.

It's a lovely camera, I have decided to sell my D7100, D750 and 16-80 to help fund one. I will shoot it in 1.2 crop for nights, DX crop for macro and FX for landscapes so I get a lighter camera bag and better IQ! Can't wait.
    Always learning.
    Good choice, sprayandpray. I had a D4. I have a D810, a D500, and yes a V3. When I got the D850, the others became dust collectors over night. As Hogan said the D850 is the best camera available today -- at least that is what this fool thinks.
    Unless you are doing a few very specific things that might cause you to want a D500 or D5, the D850 does it well. Heck, even those few things it does well if you buy the grip and D5 battery, just not quite as well.
    Yeah, I really don't need the fps or ultra ISO performance of those, plus the D850 beats the D5 on IQ at lower ISO's anyway. In starscape shooting, the aperture is wide open, the shutter speed is tied to focal length and I always shoot the lowest ISO I can dependant on conditions so no need for crazy ISO's.

I am a super excited kid atm - I never thought I would get such a beast!
    Always learning.
    Was there a black out in the viewfinder after a sequence of silent shots ?? Not interested in looking at the LCD.
    There will always be blackout time with a mirror, its impossible not to.

Was there a black out in the viewfinder after a sequence of silent shots ?? Not interested in looking at the LCD.

With a big flip-out screen and totally silent shutter, I don't think it is any great hardship to use live view in the church.
    Always learning.
    edited March 2018
    OK you don't know so I will have to wait to see one to try it .
    I am looking to wait for the mirror less and hope the silent mode is properly implemented
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    I thought it was clear, but apparently not. You say there is a black out - I believe you. What interested me more is the speed and silence of the live view in use. So good that I would prefer to use that mode (if I were still trying to make decent money from weddings).

Have you tried it?
    Always learning.
    Why is it - when we have a timer mode in the D850 - that there is no use made of the internal clock to count up on the top or rear display so we know when to close the shutter?
    Always learning.

Why is it - when we have a timer mode in the D850 - that there is no use made of the internal clock to count up on the top or rear display so we know when to close the shutter?

Has any Nikon camera ever done this?
    Possibly not, but a/ it isn't hard, and b/ Canon do it.
    Always learning.