D850

Comments

• HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    Interestingly, Apple also uses both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for at least two of their device interoperability features, and for the same reasons— Bluetooth‘s connectivity and WiFi data rate. I guess Nikon has good company in combining both technologies this way
  • dpidudedpidude Posts: 106Member
    Photo bug,

I walked into my local store on a Monday dropped down the pre payment and had the 850 the following Monday.
    D3s, (14-24 2.8), (24-70 2.8), (70-200 2.8 VRII), 2 SB-700, SB-910, 2.0x teleconverter
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Photobug said:

Like the ISO button on top and the feel of the camera

I reprogrammed the record button as ISO on my D750 and found it to be a great compromise between the pro and prosumer controls.
    Always learning.
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    PB_PM said:

Bluetooth isn’t needed constantly, but it is used to achieve the connection, using the Bluetooth key to bypass the need for the using of a WIFI password, thus making the connection faster and more seamless. All this was discussed years ago when Snapbridge was first announced. Regardless of the fact that you think it’s ridiculous is irrevent, that is the system Nikon is using.

If you cannot be bothered to read the manual, that’s not my problem. It’s funny coming from the person who said there are no clear instructions on how it works. Yes there are, in the manual. :lol:

I don't even know if you have a D850 and you seem to be BSing here. The only thing I agree with you is that it's not your problem, so feel free to not get involved.

The manual only says do step A, B, C and it's supposed to work. But it never covers when it doesn't work. I actually got it work once long time ago, but could never get it work again. I'm confident to say that I'm in the majority who have trouble with Snapbridge and think it sucks.

There is actually no way to turn on/off Wifi on the camera. Only the bluetooth. When the bluetooth is on, the Wifi menu in camera is greyed out. Does that mean Wifi is on or off? When bluetooth is off, the download/remote function on the phone is greyed out and I suppose there is no connection at all. If it's just wifi password exchange, that should have already been done. If both have to be on together, why a separate on/off bluetooth toggle in addition to the airplane mode toggle? The troubleshoot for Wifi says to keep the "send while camera off" on. But that option is under Bluetooth, not Wifi. Besides what's the reason to keep that on when the camera is off and I'm not using it?

None of this crap is explained clearly in menu. Now if it makes perfect sense to you, you must be the twin to the engineer who developed this crapbridge firmware.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited December 2017
    Seem so simple to me. Bluetooth is used to control the camera via the Snapbridge app, and WIFI for the image downloading. My camera only has the WiIFI part, so it does both.

The Snapbridge websites instructions are far clearer, albeit way down at the bottom, than the D850 manual, which as mentioned does seem poorly setup.

Does your phone/tablet not show on the Bluetooth device list? If not you need to pair it first. If it’s not working, but on the list, remove it and re-pair it.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited December 2017
    PB_PM said:

Seem so simple to me. Bluetooth is used to control the camera via the Snapbridge app, and WIFI for the image downloading. My camera only has the WiIFI part, so it does both.

The Snapbridge websites instructions are far clearer than the D850 manual, which as mentioned does seem poorly setup.

Does your phone/tablet not show on the Bluetooth device list? If not you need to pair it first. If it’s not working, but on the list, remove it and re-pair it.

Of course, it's already paired. It shows up on both camera and phone. See you don't have even personally used in on D850 and you are pretending you know and it's so easy. Next time please don't do that.
    Post edited by tc88 on
    edited December 2017
    Technogy is easy, if you take the time to trouble shoot and not freak out. Every Bluetooth device ever made works like this. If it doesn’t work, remove it from the list and try again, it’s not rocket science.

The phone you have matters as well. If it doesn’t have a comparable verion if Bluetooth it will not work. Typically they are backwards compatible, but not always.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    edited December 2017
    PB_PM said:

The phone you have matters as well.

As I mentioned earlier, I got it working once when first started. So the phone shouldn't be an issue.
    PB_PM said:

Technogy is easy,

Technology should be easy, especially for this type of simple stuff. That's why it's extra frustrating since Nikon can't even get this right and there is no easy way to troubleshoot. And I have tried multiple times by removing the camera/phone from each side. I'm pretty sure I'm more capable than you in debugging things.

So don't day dream on your armchair and arrive at your conclusion that reading the manual will solve the problem. Nikon's manual/instructions are particularly ill written. What you think should work doesn't necessarily work.

BTW, I'm not freaked out since I know Snapbridge is a crap before I bought the D850 and it's not a feature I count on. Still if it can work, I can use it sometime.
    Post edited by tc88 on
    edited December 2017
    tc88 said:

As I mentioned earlier, I got it working once when first started. So the phone shouldn't be an issue.

I'm pretty sure I'm more capable than you in debugging things.

Yeah, I just build and maintain my own computers, wireless routers, etc, so I must know nothing about technology. You know everything, and everyone else is wrong as always. Why even post the question if you already know everything? Oh wait, because you don't.

Post edited by PB_PM on
    edited December 2017
    PB_PM said:

Yeah, I just build and maintain my own computers, wireless routers, etc, so I must know nothing about technology. You know everything, and everyone else is wrong as always. Why even post the question if you already know everything? Oh wait, because you don't.

If you build your own wireless routers, you must be exaggerating again. The other things you did, nothing to write home about.

I posted the question so that if other D850 managed to get it to work, I want to compare and verify the exact settings. I'm not interested in you coming in without even any personal experience in this particular situation and claiming it just works and read the manual. That's useless in helping me make any progress.
    Post edited by tc88 on
    edited December 2017
    PB_PM said:

If you build your own wireless router (I suppose it's more than just screwing on the antenna), you must be exaggerating again. The other things you mentioned, there is nothing to write home about. BTW, this is not really about technology. This is about debugging a crap piece of software to get it work somehow hopefully.

I posted the question so that if there are other D850 users who managed to get it to work, I can compare and verify the exact settings. That's clearly stated in my original post.

I'm not interested in you coming in without any personal experience on this practical matter and claim it just works and go read the manual. That's useless in helping me make any progress. As I noted earlier, you have no idea on the menu entries I listed and their effects. Since you don't have any personal experience regarding Snapbridge on this particular camera, please stay away.
    Post edited by tc88 on
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    edited December 2017
    So there are two annoying things that I have found about the D850.

The focus selector in viewfinder on the D800 is a nice bright red and always easy to find. On the D850 it is dimmer and I often find my self searching for it in adverse lighting conditions. Anybody know how to fix that?

My D800 (and the D810 I believe) had an auto white balance setting. The D850 has two auto white balance settings with three choices for one. The first is outdoor with one setting and the second is "regular" with three settings dealing with how it deals with warm tungsten lighting. This is an excellent upgrade because I find it is more accurate then before, particularly indoors. However, if you forget to change it when transitioning between outdoors and indoors (or between zones with and without tungsten lighting), it has issues. I will just need to remember this. I may set my default to Auto 1 (0 and 2 adjust) as it seems to be less of an issue if I leave that on when I go outside, as opposed to the opposite.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
    tc88 said:

PB_PM said:

If you build your own wireless router (I suppose it's more than just screwing on the antenna), you must be exaggerating again. The other things you mentioned, there is nothing to write home about. BTW, this is not really about technology. This is about debugging a crap piece of software to get it work somehow hopefully.

I posted the question so that if there are other D850 users who managed to get it to work, I can compare and verify the exact settings. That's clearly stated in my original post.

I'm not interested in you coming in without any personal experience on this practical matter and claim it just works and go read the manual. That's useless in helping me make any progress. As I noted earlier, you have no idea on the menu entries I listed and their effects. Since you don't have any personal experience regarding Snapbridge on this particular camera, please stay away.
    I anticipate updating my Blackberry to an IPhone (probably an X) in the next couple of months. When I do that, I will certainly be trying out Snapbridge - though I wonder if I will truly find it useful for anything? Until then I have nothing to say.
    edited December 2017

Photobug said:

I reprogrammed the record button as ISO on my D750 and found it to be a great compromise between the pro and prosumer controls.
    The ISO button on top is nice. But I hate the pro layout part regarding the mode that now to change PSAM, you have to use two hands. One to press the button at the left, and another to toggle the dial on the right. If you are hand holding a heavy lens, that could be an issue. I would rather like the prosumer layout where a single hand can do it.
    Post edited by tc88 on

Photobug said:

The ISO button on top is nice. But I hate the pro layout part regarding the mode that now to change PSAM, you have to use two hands. One for the button and one to toggle the dial. If you are hand holding a heavy lens, that could be a problem. On the prosumer layout, you only need one hand to change PSAM.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    dpidude said:

Photo bug,

I walked into my local store on a Monday dropped down the pre payment and had the 850 the following Monday.

Outstanding. Enjoy your new tool.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member

Photobug said:

That is an excellent idea spraynpray.

While checking out the D850 I loved the position of the toggle on the back to move the focus point around. Ergonomically it was perfect. That would be nice on other cameras.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    tc88 said:

Photobug said:

The ISO button on top is nice. But I hate the pro layout part regarding the mode that now to change PSAM, you have to use two hands. One for the button and one to toggle the dial. If you are hand holding a heavy lens, that could be a problem. On the prosumer layout, you only need one hand to change PSAM.
    I can see that. As I may be getting a D500 soon, I will have to deal with that and the crappy memory banks too. I don't have any monster lenses either - yet. Who knows, the D500's AF may get me into motorsport.
    Always learning.
    edited December 2017

The focus selector in viewfinder on the D800 is a nice bright red and always easy to find. On the D850 it is dimmer and I often find my self searching for it in adverse lighting conditions. Anybody know how to fix that?

I tested against an older camera. The D850's red lines does seem to be thinner and dimmer. Maybe that's how they save the power consumption? Also the AF box is naturally smaller. I don't have a solution for that. Maybe try something like d9 to have more AF points illuminated? For static shots, d9 and single point should get the same focus, I think.
    Post edited by tc88 on
    tc88 said:

I tested against an older camera. The D850's red lines does seem to be thinner and dimmer. Maybe that's how they save the power consumption? Also the AF box is naturally smaller. I don't have a solution for that. Maybe try something like d9 to have more AF points illuminated? For static shots, d9 and single point should get the same focus, I think.
    I have it on D25 and even that does not work that well.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    edited December 2017
    Anyone use Face-Detection (FD)? In reading the UM on p. 263, I get the feeling that FD is the default option, but that it works in the matrix-metering mode. But, I use spot focus and spot metering. Will FD work when I use spot metering? (Yes, I will do some experiments, but that will take time.)
    Post edited by rmp on
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    edited December 2017

I anticipate updating my Blackberry to an IPhone (probably an X) in the next couple of months. When I do that, I will certainly be trying out Snapbridge - though I wonder if I will truly find it useful for anything? Until then I have nothing to say.

I think you will find it useful for giving the camera the GPS coordinates, as well as the current time (no matter where you are when travelling). The remote photography is nice as well, because you can see the image and change settings from your phone.

I know that I have a CamRanger, and a Solmeta GPS unit, as well as the Nikon WR-A10/WR-R10/WR-T10 unit as well, but the SnapBridge app on an iPhone actually works as prescribed now:)
    Post edited by Killerbob on
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    I am hesitant to use Bluetooth and wifi because of battery drain. Have you noticed any battery problems when using Snapbridge?
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I can't really comment on battery drain, as all my shoots are outdoors here in the Arctic... If I was to do so anyway, it would be that I do not have the feeling that it has had an effect. Today I was outside in minus 5 degree weather, I shot 250 shots over a 90-minute periode, and my EN-EL18 lost 19%. During that time I previewed quite a bit.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited December 2017
    Well, I have been on backorder from BandH since September 9. As it is getting close to the end of our fiscal year and I have to spend the money this year, and I didn't see any progress on getting a D850 delivered by the time our procurement year ends next week, I thought I would cancel the order and use the funds for something else. I have been looking at the Atomos Sumo and I probably could find a lot more use for that in the next few months than a D850...

But whaddya know. I logged into BandH to cancel the order and lo and behold, the D850 is on its way to me. Go figure.

The last job I was on, except for our underwater cameras, we weren't allowed to bring our own air cameras on-site. For security reasons we had to use the cheap video cameras and still cameras provided by the customer. (We could set up the shots, but we couldn't even press the shutter button or the start recording buttons ourselves!) So I didn't miss out on not having the D850 earlier, but I will have it in time for my coming Christmas and New Years holidays in Japan.
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy