Z9 is coming

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member

PB_PM said:

Even if they officially announce the release, I doubt it would ship before December. Weren't the Z6II and Z7II released at around this time last year, but didn't ship till December? A month to a month and half after the release is normal for Nikon. They'll likely be back ordered after the first day. :lol:

Ah but everyone has written off Nikon and are buying Sony(even though Canon still dominates) so we can get all the Z9 just between me and you with no competition!
    :lol: That would be something, only I have no interest in the Z9, or any of the other $5k+ camera bodies whatsoever.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 649Member
    Photobug said:

PB_PM said:

Even if they officially announce the release, I doubt it would ship before December. Weren't the Z6II and Z7II released at around this time last year, but didn't ship till December? A month to a month and half after the release is normal for Nikon. They'll likely be back ordered after the first day. :lol:

Ah but everyone has written off Nikon and are buying Sony(even though Canon still dominates) so we can get all the Z9 just between me and you with no competition!
    Oh that is funny. I stopped at the local camera shop and they already have 3 people on the waiting list. The demand will be there, especially from retires that have nice IRA's.
    I was able to get on the waiting list when the dev announcement happened about 7 months ago. So I am pretty confident the guys will be able to ship me out one as soon as they get it and the money is in the bank ready. Who knows how many are on that waiting list now, I was the second at that time.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    mhedges said:

Boy they are really slow rolling these teaser videos. More than a week between each one is a tad ridiculous IMO.

I have to agree. For a camera that should have been out and about for the Japanese Olympics, you would have thought the camera would have been far more production ready.

The Olympics are on a set schedule, they should have been ready to roll it out almost immediately afterwards. To be fair the supply chain and COVID threw a wrench in it, but by pushing back the Olympics a year shouldn't it have been even more ready?

I am by no means the target audience of a flagship mirrorless camera, but this trickle roll out is really turning my interest off.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    edited October 2021
    NSXTypeR said:

The Olympics are on a set schedule, they should have been ready to roll it out almost immediately afterwards. To be fair the supply chain and COVID threw a wrench in it, but by pushing back the Olympics a year shouldn't it have been even more ready?

I don't think the Z9 was ever meant to be out for the 2020 Olympics, the D6 would have been though. Fits the single digit Dx bodies have always been release in sync with Olympic events. The Z9 was likely always meant for a 2021 release, and might only be slightly behind schedule.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    PB_PM said:

NSXTypeR said:

I don't think the Z9 was ever meant to be out for the 2020 Olympics, the D6 would have been though. Fits the single digit Dx bodies have always been release in sync with Olympic events. The Z9 was likely always meant for a 2021 release, and might only be slightly behind schedule.
    Than they are ahead of schedule.
    edited October 2021

How do you figure that? The D6 came out in 2020 as intended, Olympics or not. So it was on schedule, or slightly behind. The Z9 comes out this year as intended, so I'm not seeing the logic in your thought process.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    PB_PM said:

How do you figure that? The D6 came out in 2020 as intended, Olympics or not. So it was on schedule, or slightly behind. The Z9 comes out this year as intended, so I'm not seeing the logic in your thought process.
    There was no logic in my thought process. Except......well, I will let you figure that out.

PB_PM said:

NSXTypeR said:

Agreed the Z9 is way ahead of schedule.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Agree that Z9 was never intended for the 2020 olympics. That was for D6.

As far as sales go - as long as they don't price it stupid high (say over $8k) then I think it will be hard to get for quite a while.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    PB_PM, WestEndFoto, photobunny: What schedule are you talking about?
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    The schedule where releases match with Olympic game dates
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    @Pistnbroke: Thanks. It seems like the postponed olympics held this summer was used to test the Z9 instead of the D6. Well, I am not in a hurry to buy anything, the D810 is still working fine :), but it will be interesting to read the reviews of the Z9.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 736Member
    If Nikon releases any product within the first 12 months after it was "scheduled" to be released they are ahead of schedule. We've all been watching them long enough to know the difference between schedule and "schedule."
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    Yes I got it . Its like a train. Its 10.15 and the announcer says " the train arriving at platform 6 is the 9.45 from Euston." We do not apologise for the delay.
  • dpidudedpidude Posts: 106Member
    D3s, (14-24 2.8), (24-70 2.8), (70-200 2.8 VRII), 2 SB-700, SB-910, 2.0x teleconverter
    dpidude said:

Oh yeahhhh. That's what I'm talkin about!
    If it performs even half as good as the ad, we are in for a treat.
    I'll be surprised if there is no price increase from D6. But they have been pretty aggressive with the Z pricing of late. So who knows.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    mhedges said:

I'll be surprised if there is no price increase from D6. But they have been pretty aggressive with the Z pricing of late. So who knows.

My hunch is that the price will be higher than any of us are expecting. This is a low volume camera and the higher cost is needed to cover the special tooling cost.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited October 2021
    If it is as good as the hype suggest, it will be more the Sony A1 for sure.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I don't think Nikon plans on low sales for the Z9. I think they plan on it being popular and selling well. I would be surprised if it were higher than $8,000. But a Z6 III and a Z7 III will be where most of us end up spending. I myself am looking for a 200-600 Z non S lens that is at least on the roadmap.
    DaveyJ said:

I don't think Nikon plans on low sales for the Z9. I think they plan on it being popular and selling well. I would be surprised if it were higher than $8,000. But a Z6 III and a Z7 III will be where most of us end up spending. I myself am looking for a 200-600 Z non S lens that is at least on the roadmap.

The Z9 is looking really good. I will definitely be getting one.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    Z9 leaked specs indicates it may even have the potential of being another D3 moment for Nikon. Hope so! I would love to see all those YouTube reviewers who have left Nikon eat crow. It could be a test of their objectivity.
    Latest rumor is that it will be priced under the D6. Which will really surprise me if true.

Also seeing a rumor that it will not have a mechanical shutter. That would also really surprise me. The tech may be there but I'm not sure the market is.