Z9 is coming

Comments

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,704Member
    I would have thought 45 or 48mp sensor with 30fps was impossible in the Z9 but apparently I am wrong.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Stacked sensors can be read very fast, that's why they give so much better AF.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 649Member
    @donaldejose the A1 manages it at 50MP 30FPS. For the Z9 the important thing will be how fast it can run the mechanical shutter without the shutter exploding.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Damn, I miss those like buttons.
    Always learning.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    :)
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    So a interesting tidbit: The Canon R3 is a 24MP camera and it’ll be interesting to see if pro sports shooters stick to the 20MP range or push to the new 45MP Nikon Z9 type pro bodies. Last I checked there was still a high demand from some pros that the resolution remain in the 20s for processing time and transfer(especially over Ethernet as we don’t have 2.5, 5, or 10 Gbps Ethernet in these bodies yet.).
    Well . . . wouldn't a pro sports shooter who needed to quickly send photos to his or her photo editor just be able to set a 45mp camera to medium or small basic jpegs for faster processing time and transfer?
    Yet they demanded time and time again to have a 20 MP sensor and any deviation was met with hostility. I think we are only getting 45MP in pro sports bodies of late because these shooters are now required to shoot some 8K.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member

Yet they demanded time and time again to have a 20 MP sensor and any deviation was met with hostility. I think we are only getting 45MP in pro sports bodies of late because these shooters are now required to shoot some 8K.

I think that you are right. And then 3/4 will wonder why they made a fuss.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Indeed, it is easy enough to downsample for print or websites, or just use the small RAW formats if needed.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 738Member
    Attach a "like" to the preceding 5 posts.

Some people will complain about the temperature of complementary champagne.
    Who requires 8k video?

Who requires 8k video?

Pro sports shooters at angles that the pro video guys can’t fit in to sell a highlight of that game winning goal alongside the pictures.

Who requires 8k video?

Good question Donaldjose.

Anybody that wants to future proof their video is another category.

And another way to think about it is who needs 14 bit raw when our output is 8 bit JPEG? Answer: The 14 bit gives you lots of latitude in post.

And think ahead to virtual reality when it takes off - people might be complaining that 16k video is not enough.
    Looks like we might be getting a new FTZ with the Z9 in a circular format. I expect it will only work with the latest lenses and perhaps let more power into the lens AF motor. I would love if it comes, the wart is a bother on gripped bodies and it looks naff. It only needs to support the 300/4, 500/5.6, 300/2.8, and 180-400/4 until they have native Z replacements. Any lens it doesn’t support you have the wart or Z replacement.
    My understanding is that pro sports stills photographers shoot very little if any video. Typically they aren't allowed to - there is a different crew for video stuff.

I think it's more a "kill two birds with one stone" type of thing - there is a separate group of folks who what 8k. Supposedly.
    I think that there are lots of sports applications that pro sports photographers will want to and be able to shoot video for. Sure, they won't be able to use it in certain circumstances..........

I think that there will be some fuss over it being 48mp. I anticipate that Nikon will bin the 48mp for a 12mp option which is more than enough for many sports, news and action applications. The high ISO performance lost with the higher resolution sensors is very minimal and people that reject that are likely comparing pixel level noise, not a 20mp D6 image against a 45mp D850 image downsampled to 20mp.

Yet some of the heads will explode and they will convert to Canon or maybe Sony. But some Canon and Sony users will see it the other way and convert to Nikon. You can't please everyone, but as long as you are not a gearhead, you can be pleased. For those switching from Canon to Nikon or Nikon to Canon over this small stuff I regard as being a brick short of a load. Unless you only have a very small lens collection, that is alot of money for such a minor change. Well, if you measurebate and don't take photos seriously, you might regard it as a big change.

The 8k is not for everyone but it is what the world is coming to. Scratch that - 8k is a stepping stone on the path to virtual reality which will demand 16k or higher. If the Expeed 7 processor can deliver 8k 10bit raw at 60p, and I suspect it will be able to - Nikon will have a marketing coup.
    PB_PM said:

Indeed, it is easy enough to downsample for print or websites, or just use the small RAW formats if needed.

Well said PB_PM.
    Maybe I am behind the times but I thought 8k was kind of a market bust so no "need" for it now. 4k is enough and there are few 8k TV broadcasts to watch anyway if you did buy an 8k TV. Cellphones are not going to do 8k and few computer monitors will so big screen TVs are the market but just not "needed" there either. Thus, no one "needs" 8k in the Z9. Fine if it is there, no complaints from me, I just question the claim there is a need for 8k at this time. https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/is-8k-worth-it-all-the-reasons-not-to-buy-an-8k-tv/
    I think its more of a solution in search of a problem at this point. And/or a marketing gimmick. But the other guys have it so Nikon needs it also or they will be roasted by the Youtube crowd.
    Yup, gotta have what the others have so you are not criticized endlessly as second rate even if it is not "needed." I don't care about 8k. Reliable eye AF and accurate autofocus on moving subjects when shooing a lens wide open are far more important to me and I expect to almost everyone, especially since Nikon will be offering both 50 and 85mm f1.2 lenses. You want to be able to rely on Nikon AF at f1.2 or both those lenses will be hard to use wide open.
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    Anyone remember when 3D HDTV was the Next Big Thing about 10 or so years ago?

Remember all of the ads featuring people wearing 3D glasses that were the size of Welding goggles? Sony along with others came out with a slew of 3D flatscreens.

ESPN even had a dedicated 3D HDTV sports channel.

And it went nowhere. Virtually zero consumer uptake. Cost the CEO of Sony his job.

Is 8 K going to lead a stampede of 8 K flatscreen buyers to Costco or Sams club waving credit cards?

Or will this be another 3D TV debacle?

edited August 2021
    I don't think it will be like 3D. That had a lot of problems most notably (as you say) the clunky and uncomfortable goggles. I see it more like the 4K rollout - I'm sure there were some early adopters who went out and got one as soon as they could but for the most part I think people just bought screens because they needed one not because they were 4k. And now I think it's hard to find a screen at the store that isn't 4k.
    Post edited by mhedges on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited August 2021
    mhedges said:

I think its more of a solution in search of a problem at this point. And/or a marketing gimmick. But the other guys have it so Nikon needs it also or they will be roasted by the Youtube crowd.

Larger video formats have the same benefit that larger MP image sensors have for stills. While 8k is unlikely to be a highly unitized video format among consumers for a very long time, that isn't the only reason to shoot 8k. Just as we down sample high resolution still images, larger video formats allow for down sampling and cropping to get the desired look. This can save recording staff from swapping lenses during a shoot for example. It's like having DX built into your FX camera.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.