Z9 is coming

Comments

• DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    The Z9 is a cliff hanger for Nikon. It better be very, very good!
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    edited September 2021
    Latest edition of Nikon Pro (UK) says out before the end of the year .....sorry if that's old news.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 649Member
    @DaveyJ the Z9 indeed better be fantastic and they better push fantastic updates into the Z6ii and Z7ii to put on a full show of strength. As it stands people are getting very roped into other brands showing them you can find a tiny eye anywhere in a scene and that impresses people even if the pictures in focus are no different than Nikon.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Love that the rear screen tilts in portrait too. Hopefully that trickles down.
    mhedges said:

Love that the rear screen tilts in portrait too. Hopefully that trickles down.

I love it too. I was worried it would be a stupid flip forward vlogger screen, it is so hard to line up your angles with them and I always end up pointing the camera the wrong way with it.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    I will take 3; if I could afford them. Specs look great. Will they work as advertised though?

I will take 3; if I could afford them. Specs look great. Will they work as advertised though?

If it is a faster and blackout free Z6... thats all it needs to be for me. I haven't missed shots from not having eye AF on a red squirrel or a fox. If it can find an eyeball and focus on it like Canon, then all the better.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    Agreed, for me accurate eye AF and blackout free EVF would be the most important features to me. Of course, I also like the others such as the built in vertical grip, built in 4 to 5 aspect ratio for portraits, tilt out rear LCD screen in portrait orientation, etc. Fast action wildlife and sports shooter will have a different set of priorities.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited October 2021
    Isn't the Z9 supposed to be a sports/photojournalist camera? Seems odd they would use a portrait shoot as a teaser. You'd think a teaser showing action from the Olympics would have been a better choice. Could it be that the AF still just isn't good enough?
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    PB_PM said:

Isn't the Z9 supposed to be a sports/photojournalist camera? Seems odd they would use a portrait shoot as a teaser. You'd think a teaser showing action from the Olympics would have been a better choice. Could it be that the AF still just isn't good enough?

Who said that it was sports to be a sports or photojournalistic camera? Nikon?
    That's always been the roll of flagship cameras, not sure why that would change now.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    Resolution used to come with tradeoffs that don’t exist anymore, at least not between 20 and 45mp. Even high ISO noise when 45mp is down sampled to 20mp is barely a tradeoff.
    The rumors have been pretty consistent that the AF will be very good - D6 level or better.

It looked like there will be 4 preview videos. This was just the first one. My guess is it was mostly intended to show of the new screen. Which is a more portrait-oriented feature IMO. We will hopefully see it in a more "action" type use case in one of the later videos.
    I think this camera is aimed at ALL classes of pro camera users. And the 45 MP AND fast shows it is intended to appeal tp a broader base of photographers. As such I think the four teasers will address quite a few areas....its appeal is good marketing. But this is a two way street.....has the buying public become so focused on generalizations that many are just looking for an excuse to jump ship? I now own three Nikon Z camera and more than that in lenses... and have been impressed with the Z Mount cameras and lenses so far....and to me the most glaring shortage has been in the area of zoom telephoto.

With the Z9 I do expect that some telephotos beyond the 70-200 F2.8 (which I would never buy again!!!!) that will satisfy the need for some longer lenses. A 400 F 2.8 though I would never buy! I have absolutely NO USE for fixed lenses of any kind! Primes are to me a relic of my medium and large format days...lots spent that was a wild goose chase. Give me zooms....I am not trying to produce images for Grand Central Station anymore!
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    Lets see if it still has the stupid memory banks...
    I imagine it will.
    Boy they are really slow rolling these teaser videos. More than a week between each one is a tad ridiculous IMO.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    mhedges said:

Boy they are really slow rolling these teaser videos. More than a week between each one is a tad ridiculous IMO.

AMEN!
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    looks good to me! A teaser this time with REAL content! And what looks like a Z lens 100-400 telephoto.
    My prediction: Nikon will release this camera and within weeks, they go into back order because of part shortages at the assembly plant.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited October 2021
    Even if they officially announce the release, I doubt it would ship before December. Weren't the Z6II and Z7II released at around this time last year, but didn't ship till December? A month to a month and half after the release is normal for Nikon. They'll likely be back ordered after the first day. :lol:
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    PB_PM said:

Even if they officially announce the release, I doubt it would ship before December. Weren't the Z6II and Z7II released at around this time last year, but didn't ship till December? A month to a month and half after the release is normal for Nikon. They'll likely be back ordered after the first day. :lol:

Ah but everyone has written off Nikon and are buying Sony(even though Canon still dominates) so we can get all the Z9 just between me and you with no competition!

PB_PM said:

Ah but everyone has written off Nikon and are buying Sony(even though Canon still dominates) so we can get all the Z9 just between me and you with no competition!
    Oh that is funny. I stopped at the local camera shop and they already have 3 people on the waiting list. The demand will be there, especially from retires that have nice IRA's.