Death of F-mount DX Challenge

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member

No its not a fisheye ...dughhh

??? Are we talking about the same lens? And what's with that last bit?

Nikon 10_5

Also this is a screw drive AF lens, and I doubt many upcoming DX bodies will support screw drive.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    He must be thinking of the 10-24mm or 10-20mm zoom, because there is only fixed 10mm DX prime and it is very much a fisheye lens.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited February 2019
    Do your research guys the 10.5 mm DX covers the whole frame ,,ok its screw drive but what serious photographer has a camera that cannot drive the screw (that's got you going) There are lots of uses of this lens on FX with the hood removed and on MF ./..the quality is brilliant.

PS a fisheye gives a circular image which this does not on DX
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    edited February 2019

Do your research guys the 10.5 mm DX covers the whole frame ,,ok its screw drive but what serious photographer has a camera that cannot drive the screw (that's got you going) There are lots of uses of this lens on FX with the hood removed and on MF ./..the quality is brilliant.

PS a fisheye gives a circular image which this does not on DX

Fisheye doesn't mean that it makes a circular image. It means straight lines don't stay straight. I mean, the lens is explicitly marketed as a fisheye and you are still arguing it? Deal with the fact that it is a fisheye and move on.
    Post edited by mhedges on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2019
    Pistnbroke shoots jpegs, and most likely uses in camera distortion correction, so even if he owns and uses it he has no clue what this lens does naturally.

The title in on the lens says "AF FISHEYE Nikkor 10.5mm F2.8G ED DX", so Pistnbroke can argue all he wants, but Nikon disagrees.

Page 2 of this review shows the level of uncorrected distortion. https://opticallimits.com/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/207-nikkor-af-105mm-f28g-ed-dx-fisheye-review--test-report?start=1
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited February 2019
    In the old days a fish eye meant a circular image like a fish eye. Today it seems to indicate a view of 180 deg on the diagonal. If you got nothing better to do with your time than nit pick on this point go ahead waste your life.

Oh yes I do own it ..paid about $130 as it has a slight mark on the front element.
    Thanks for the tip on the distortion control I will try that .

PS no distortion data for the 10.5 in camera memory, manual only
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited February 2019
    Play nicely or go to bed without your supper!
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited February 2019
    I too thought "fisheye" meant the lens produces a circular image. Must be an old thing some of us old folks have. Good to learn I was wrong.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
    Thanks Donaldejose ( and spray) for your sanity
  • ADKDaveyJADKDaveyJ Posts: 55Member
    DX F mount cameras are still being rated as the single best choice for upgrading a system or for the MANY that are planning on traveling the world doing photos and want to bring down the size of their camera bag to something decidedly more compact. Therefore as of March 2019 DX is still hard to beat. I should not quote others work here, but I believe Thom Hogan recommended two options in terms of current camera bodies as being good low cost candidates. D500 or D750. If Nikon fails to bring to market a Z Mount DX Camera I am of the firm belief that they are committing a risky maneuver.

DX still has many advantages. From what I have seen, if Nikon Digital Cameras go extinct it will be due to drastic lack of sales. Cell phones can take amazing photos. That has become obvious to me. My date on DX format as being dead with Nikon is when Hell freezes over. I would own more FX gear if it were capable of taking better photos in the field. My extremely expensive in medium and large format was an extremely bad move on my part. I hardly intend to race into FX due to some sadly motivated belief that it is superior in being able to capture images in the real world. The huge market share of cell phone photography should prove how ridiculous an abandonment of DX is!!! The FX sensor size is not some magic formula capable of ruling the world.
    edited March 2019
    DX is being recommended for a number of people traveling the world and who want to reduce the camera bag size. Cell phones take amazing photos. And that is a smaller sensor than DX. If Nikon fails to introduce a Z Mount mirrorless DX Camera, that might be a great mistake. I still would rate the D7500 as the best DX Nikon body I have used. Despite one capture card. How many capture cards are in a cell phone. DX sensors will be dead when Hell freezes over. Nikon would be smart to continue DX in at least F Mount cameras for a number of years in the future. Too big a part of their overall camera sales!
    Post edited by ADKDaveyJ on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    ADKDaveyJ said:

DX is being recommended for a number of people traveling the world and who want to reduce the camera bag size. Cell phones take amazing photos. And that is a smaller sensor than DX. If Nikon fails to introduce a Z Mount mirrorless DX Camera, that might be a great mistake. I still would rate the D7500 as the best DX Nikon body I have used. Despite one capture card. How many capture cards are in a cell phone. DX sensors will be dead when Hell freezes over. Nikon would be smart to continue DX in at least F Mount cameras for a number of years in the future. Too big a part of their overall camera sales!

I hope you're right, I'm not planning on trading in any of my DX lenses. Of the 5 lenses I own, 2 are DX. The lenses will likely outlast the camera body, unless I drop my camera on the lens itself. Likely the first lens to wear itself out would be my 18-135mm.

I just hope there will be a suitable replacement body without adapters if my D7000 kicks the bucket.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    I had a 18-135 and gave it to my grandson after I got my 16-80. I also use the 70-300 AF-P DX VR most of my 70-300 Nikkor fleet....most are FF zooms, and the 200-500 I consider the single best wildlife lens I have ever used.
    I still rate the D7500 as one if the best Nikon DX Cameras ever made. Extremely under rated!
    Bought yet another D7500 and the 16-80 lens kit. It is a incredibly agile field rig. It is pretty close to D500 and lighter. The single card SDHD Card has never failed. I love everything about the camera and that lens. I usually use the 200-500 on the D7500. Haven’t used the longer zoom much in Florida, but in the right setting it would be the best long zoom to use.
    Maybe not exactly the right term to use, but one in the hand is worth two in the bush. It's not really worth waiting out for new camera technology, it's honestly better to shoot with what you have now than to wait for whatever awesome technology that is bound to come. The issue is you'd be missing out on shots you probably would have gotten anyway if you were proficient with your camera.

Plus, you're shooting with what you're familiar with, so there's no learning curve whatsoever.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Man, I guess death of DX is coming much earlier than any of us expected. I haven't gone through any of the dates, but I don't think any of us were close.

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/08/28/dpreviews-chris-nichols-nikon-is-dropping-5-lines-of-dslrs.aspx/

The DF is a given, maybe D610, D3500, D7500, D5600? I had hoped they kept the D500 going at least, but there's no guarantee of that either.

Maybe I should just pick up a D7500 and call it a day.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I sure got denigrated for starting this post. Remember, a Z-Mount crop sensor is not DX, even if Nikon calls it that.

I sure got denigrated for starting this post. Remember, a Z-Mount crop sensor is not DX, even if Nikon calls it that.

Right, we were talking just about the death of DX DSLRs.

In a way, I'd rather Nikon not make a DX Z mount camera as it makes lens choice more difficult for consumers. I understand the cost savings, but at this point, if you wanted a mirrorless camera, you would have bought one. Eliminating a point of confusion in terms of lens compatibility may be worth the extra cost. In the same way we never got a full set of DX lenses, I have a feeling if Nikon launches a DX Z mount camera, people end up needing to borrow from the FX Z mount lineup just to get the focal lengths they want.
    NSXTypeR said:

Man, I guess death of DX is coming much earlier than any of us expected. I haven't gone through any of the dates, but I don't think any of us were close.

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/08/28/dpreviews-chris-nichols-nikon-is-dropping-5-lines-of-dslrs.aspx/

The DF is a given, maybe D610, D3500, D7500, D5600? I had hoped they kept the D500 going at least, but there's no guarantee of that either.

Maybe I should just pick up a D7500 and call it a day.

Everyone who uses the 7500 seems to love it. And last I checked it was a steal price wise.

I believe the D610 has been on the block for discontinuation for a while now. There's really no reason to keep it around - it's not different enough from the 750. And the 750 has actually been cheaper lately due to promotions.

I'm guessing we will only have 2 DX and 3 FX DSLR's once the dust settles. Maybe 3 DX if they decide to keep the 7500 and 500 around.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    The D500 is so good I think it would be a mistake not to keep it around. I don't think a up grade of the D7500 would replace it but I may be surprised.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    DX/FX - the mount is the same. In the 7 years I've been shooting one DX camera or another, I've have had one "DX" designated lens. It came with my first camera. If one plans to use both full frame and crop sensor cameras, how does buying DX specific lenses make sense?
    mhedges said:

Everyone who uses the 7500 seems to love it. And last I checked it was a steal price wise.

I intend to get a D7500 if they do announce the death of that camera. When they're on sale, I see that they're occasionally just under $1000 brand new.

I'm sad to see DX go but not surprised, Nikon really hasn't announced any special lenses for DX other than generic zooms and a few DX specific macro primes.

DX/FX - the mount is the same. In the 7 years I've been shooting one DX camera or another, I've have had one "DX" designated lens. It came with my first camera. If one plans to use both full frame and crop sensor cameras, how does buying DX specific lenses make sense?

It doesn't, which I personally would wish Nikon not to repeat that for the Z mount and not make a DX Z mount.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    I think the interesting question is: when will Nikon ditch the f-mount? With competitors like Sony and Panasonic I think Nikon must put all their efforts into mirrorless.
    Nikon need to make the mirrorless work properly ..just reading of a wedding photographer using Z6 latest software complaining about slow start up and focus problems in low light ...so no sorry you aint there yet.