Death of F-mount DX Challenge

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member

Nikon need to make the mirrorless work properly ..just reading of a wedding photographer using Z6 latest software complaining about slow start up and focus problems in low light ...so no sorry you aint there yet.

Tell them to bring a spare battery if they are that concerned about battery life. I think the Z6 focuses pretty well in low light though. Something is not adding up here.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited August 2019
    snakebunk said:

I think the interesting question is: when will Nikon ditch the f-mount? With competitors like Sony and Panasonic I think Nikon must put all their efforts into mirrorless.

I mean if they're ditching DX already, FX can't be that far behind. I give FX DSLRs another few years. It's hard to sell anything low end at this point, it's really just higher end bodies. D750, D850 and D5. D500 for birders mostly.

Maybe another 3-4 years for new FX lenses. Honestly FX lenses may be built for another couple years just because of the "momentum" behind. The manual focus lenses may still be built just to satisfy the video crowd.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited August 2019
    Until Nikon can make a mirrorless camera worth buying, hopefully gen 2 will get there since the current models are years behind the competition, I suspect FX DSLR's will hang on. The D6 last pro DSLR, maybe a D850 replacement, and for sure a D750 update and that's about it. No point in making DX DSLR's at all at this point. DX has been dead for a while, the D500 and 16-85mm F2.8-4 lens was just made to keep the system on life support. I can see people hanging on to DX DSLR's if the rumors are true that the mirrorless APS-C cameras don't have a built in EVF and just rely on the big screen.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    The guy said his D850 walked all over it …….
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member

DX/FX - the mount is the same. In the 7 years I've been shooting one DX camera or another, I've have had one "DX" designated lens. It came with my first camera. If one plans to use both full frame and crop sensor cameras, how does buying DX specific lenses make sense?

I have three DX lenses. One came with my first DX camera the other two are a very wide angle and a f2.8 that replaced the one that came with the camera. The rest of my kit is FX.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    I expect to continue using my DX bodies and lenses for quite a few years to come.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
    dissent said:

I expect to continue using my DX bodies and lenses for quite a few years to come.

As will I. My policy is to shoot until my camera bites the dust.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Looks like a crop sensor Z is coming. Makes me think this date may arrive sooner rather than later.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    mhedges said:

Looks like a crop sensor Z is coming. Makes me think this date may arrive sooner rather than later.

Thank goodness. Low end DX has too many compromises.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
    I'm sure Nikon will artificially limit features on the low end mirrorless cameras just as they have done with the low end DSLR's. Up selling works best when you put the best features in the most expensive model to push customers needlessly upmarket. Bad for consumers, but great for shareholders, well if they can sell any of them anyway.
    PB_PM said:

I'm sure Nikon will artificially limit features on the low end mirrorless cameras just as they have done with the low end DSLR's. Up selling works best when you put the best features in the most expensive model to push customers needlessly upmarket. Bad for consumers, but great for shareholders, well if they can sell any of them anyway.

I think the Nikon low end DSLR's do a pretty good job of hitting their target market. Meaning the missing features are things they would likely not use anyway. Really in terms of bang for the buck I don't think you can do better than a D3500, at least in terms of ultimate image quality.
    No doubting that, I was just responding to the comment that "...Low end DX has too many compromises."
    Yeah I guess I quoted the wrong post sorry!
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I don't think you can do better than a D3500, at least in terms of ultimate image quality.

Ever tried a D850?
    Just a quick question for you guys- would any of you guys buy a DX Z mount camera, knowing the current lens lineup?
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    I likely would, depending upon the design. Not if it relies upon the rear LCD instead of a EVF though. Remember all full frame S lenses should work as long as they don't use a different mount for the DX Z bodies.
    edited September 2019
    I certainly would depending on size, feature set and price. It would’ve a good companion with my Z6 imo.

@Pistnbroke you left out the bang for the buck part of my quote. No I haven’t used D850, and it is a good buy at the current price no doubt. I still think (just talking about sensor output) D3500 gives more value. D850 is almost 10x the price. Is the sensor 10x better? Hard to quantify.
    Post edited by mhedges on
    edited September 2019
    Not even 50% better MHedges. But IQ in only one of the reasons you are buying a D850, and not even the main one.

Nikon’s DX cameras are the best value in photography, bargains actually, if you are only concerned about IQ.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Is this thread dead now? Nikon make the crop sensor mirrorless now which is a DX in all but name so the definitive answer is 'no' surely?
    Always learning.
    No, I made it clear early in the thread that DX for a non-F-mount would not qualify as DX, even if called DX.

Per the terms of the challenge, when you can no longer buy DX for f-mount, DX is dead.

Of course Spraynpray, if I was a welcher, I would have jumped at the opportunity you gave me to welch. But I don’t do that.
    In hindsight, I should have started an FX (f-mount) is dead thread. That would have been fun, but I think there is at least ten years of life left in the f-mount.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I still see DX DSLRs Ring used by many Oreos at Races and shooting wildlife. Mostly the amazing D500. I use that and two D7500s. The 16-80 and the 200-500 5.6 are my most often used, and if my many 70-300s I now mostly use the new AF-P DX VR lightweight but quite useable zoom lens. The pros using D500s though are often using 70-200 2.8 lens. They look at Z6 fir video but usually still have not actually bought in. DX F Mount is far from dead. Z50 and the next ZMount DX D500 Camera will prove the value of the DX sensors and gear. Those who think FF would rule them all, are wrong. Also I’d predict the Z Mount will be used for ALL of the Z DX series cameras. The Z50 from what I see will be used a very lot with JUST the two kit lens. The FTZ adapter will not be very popular there.

No, I made it clear early in the thread that DX for a non-F-mount would not qualify as DX, even if called DX.

Per the terms of the challenge, when you can no longer buy DX for f-mount, DX is dead.

Of course Spraynpray, if I was a welcher, I would have jumped at the opportunity you gave me to welch. But I don’t do that.

From what I understand, I thought this thread was to predict when the successor of DX F-mount was going to start. Which in my mind, with the Z50 out, means that F-mount DX is already dead.

DaveyJ, what's an Oreo?

I think many people will be interested in the Z50, but again, Nikon may not put out proper lenses for the system and will not be able to get wide primes for the Z-mount DX, forcing people again to go to full frame Z mount lenses and cameras.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    "predict when the successor of DX F-mount was going to start" No, to guess the date that Nikon would no longer sell a DX body with an F mount. Watch Nikon's website. Both DX Z and DX F mount will be sold simultaneously for some time yet. A DX body with an F mount is alive and well and Nikon is still producing DX lenses in F-mount.
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    I suspect that I will be dead long before the DX format is dead. As long as I can get a D500 repaired the DX lives on at least with me and I believe a lot more people are addicted to the things it does for us and will cling to theirs too. I'm thinking for a few things I will rent a Z7 or Z8-9. When I want to shoot and can't use a tripod as in from a small boat then mirrorless with in body VR has a definite advantage. For a landscape travel body I'm open to what ever will do the job the best, DSLR or Mirrorless.