PHOTO-A-DAY: March 2013

Comments

• mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
    edited March 2013
    nice pictures all. been writing my dissertation all day, but i finally got to take a break and look through them

fushimi inari shrine kyoto torii
    Post edited by mikep on
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    @bland - that's an odd story... how did you get the job in the first place?

I was driving back from shooting buffalo and saw this barrel race going on. So I stopped and asked the person in charge if it was ok to shoot some shots (I was wanting to work on my focusing problems I've been having). She said yes and later came back and asked if I'd like to shoot their event because they were without a photographer. She and all the others were so nice I said I'd be glad to, even the head of the organization came over and thanked me for helping them out. 3 hours later the crazy lady showed up and that was that.

• Witty_NicknameWitty_Nickname Posts: 193Member
    edited March 2013
    Old and New

D800 - Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 @ 14mm and f/5.6
    Post edited by Witty_Nickname on
  • Dredden85Dredden85 Posts: 365Member
    edited March 2013
    Wow! I am always impressed by the photos on the PAD. Excellent work!

@elvishefer- Stunning capture! Looks like midevil times and that you are standing about 20ft from your shot! you must have a great fast lens for the low lighting in the arena.
    Post edited by Dredden85 on
    D7000, 18-200VRII | 50 1.8G | SB-900
    edited March 2013
    @bland - that's an odd story... how did you get the job in the first place?

I was driving back from shooting buffalo and saw this barrel race going on. So I stopped and asked the person in charge if it was ok to shoot some shots (I was wanting to work on my focusing problems I've been having). She said yes and later came back and asked if I'd like to shoot their event because they were without a photographer. She and all the others were so nice I said I'd be glad to, even the head of the organization came over and thanked me for helping them out. 3 hours later the crazy lady showed up and that was that.

It's always that crazy lady that ruins your fun! BTW, your shot looks to be well in focus. Great Capture :)
    edited March 2013
    Unfortunately for my place in scientific history, the mystery of the unicorn bird has been solved.

Guess I'll have to keep my day job. So who wants my place on the lecture circuit?

Very nice pics upthread, y'all.
    Oh it's not a unicorn bird?! :O Nice edit!
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Some great images here people!
    Always learning.
  • GitzoGitzo Posts: 174Member
    Photo of my daughter's cat, "Scotchie"; The camera used was my first digital camera, a tiny little Fuji Finepix S1000, 10 MP. Lighting was ambient light from large picture window.
    For this photo, instead of designing a digital frame using colors from the subject, I searched through my "frame drawer" of already completed frames and picked one with colors I thought might work; actually I think it was a mistake and I wish now I had made a whole new frame. I had been designing and creating these things for a few years, simply because I love colors, and I love experimenting with gradients. I have always enjoyed doing things that have a lot of detail and that require a lot of patience.

Prior to buying the very inexpensive digital camera, I had been shooting almost entirely Fuji Velvia with my Nikon F5 film camera; I loved the camera, (and still do) but I "had had it" with ordering 10 rolls of film, waiting for it to arrive, then having to wait a few more weeks to have it processed. As digital was rapidly replacing film, because I have so many other "interests", I didn't take many pictures for a year or so, and was just about to give up photography; I decided to get the little Fuji just to learn a bit about digital, in order to see if I still had enough interest left to justify buying a D-SLR; going from the F-5 to the Fuji was a lot like parking your Lamborghini and getting a tricycle to get around with; as I started learning more about digital photography, I finally decided to take the plunge again and was in the process of looking for the "world's best deal" on a D-90; just as I was looking at D-90's, the D-7000 came out; after doing a lot of study on it, I decided to spend a little more, and get a D-7000; I very quickly learned there are "no good deals" on new cameras just coming out, but in the process of looking, I did find a super deal on a brand new D-300s; Yeah, it's "older tech", but it's still a heck of a camera; ( probably my last one ) ( I'm getting far too old to be buying multi-thousand dollar cameras)

I had intended to put another picture on PAD, but the biggest size Flickr's menu offered was another thumbnail like "the bird"; so the butterscotch cat is "pinch hitting" until I can figure a way around the "thumbnail" problem.

AAAscotchie

edited March 2013
    @Gitzo- I like the border but the bright busyness is detracting from the photo, in my opinion. If the border were thinner/ more narrow ... maybe a smidge less is more. @-)
  • itsnotmeyouknowitsnotmeyouknow Posts: 481Member
    Our soppy white german shepherd, Caesar is a bit of a poseur, and is very good at the hard done by look:

Nikkor 24 - 70 at 1/20 ƒ/4 ISO 400 32 mm

poor-Caesar
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Just a reminder...post photos with 640px maximum size...or at least the maximum horizontal size. The best way is to post from a posting site which allows a link so we can see the big sizes of your photo...
    Msmoto, mod
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited March 2013
    And, a photo of a Canon shooter....

Coffee Shop

One really needs to look at the large image to see the detail...almost as good as a D800

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fantinesfotos/8584864330/sizes/o/in/photostream/
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    My first real attempt at birding in the wild yesterday. Let's just say my respect for Coastal et al (which was already high) grew exponentially yesterday. I think you can sum up what I learned in three words: Birds don't pose.
    _DSC2931
    D90 | 300mm | f/7.1 |1/250s (handheld) | ISO 400
  • TheGipperTheGipper Posts: 110Member
    Approach

I shot this (and a few other images) with a 50mm F/1.4 AF-D with the intention of showing what the lens could do before selling it. Consequently sold the lens for more than I paid for it. I think people prefer to see images made with a lens rather than metadata and such before they buy (I know I do!). So adding a link to some images helped me make a (albeit small) profit on a few lenses. Just a tip if you ever sell anything in the future. :)

Shot at F/3.2 to ensure the bee was in focus (F/1.4 would have missed it and softened the details), 1/800sec.

Happy Easter everyone! :)
  • tganiatstganiats Posts: 131Member
    Not the sharpest shot, but I like the lighting.

DSC_0629

D80 with 60mm macro; 0.6 sec @ f/10; ISO 100
  • obajobaobajoba Posts: 206Member

Itisnotmeyouknow - I can not place the city from the skyline, but I like it.
    If you're referring to the city buildings with the bending road, that wasn't my shot but obajoba's My guess is LA, although I haven't been there for a while.
    Denver, actually. I have found that I also occasionally mistake L.A. for Denver as well. Also, @itsnotmeyouknow, I would have had some great light trails but, this was a rare occasion in that the interstate was closed. The two light trails you do see are actually from construction vehicles.

D4 | 70-200 2.8 VR | 24-70 2.8 | TC-17e II
  • PierrePierre Posts: 360Member
    Just a reminder...post photos with 640px maximum size...or at least the maximum horizontal size...
    First page sais:
    As a courtesy we ask that you keep your photos to under 800 pixels on the longest side. If you post a photo that is larger than 800 pixels then it will be deleted from the thread. You can have your smaller photo link to a larger version but the embedded photos must be less than 800 pixels. If
    The rule has changed?
  • Great composition, where is it Pierre?
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • Amberlight2012Amberlight2012 Posts: 26Member
    Elvishefer - You seem to have such a great angle on the shot. I also appreciat the fact that you made the shot black and white. It really adds to the shot. .....

Neighbor cat stopped by....
    Cat D7000 240mm f5.6 1/320 second
    More street photography

Larger: http://blg.nikonsrc.com/image/ls2pyw2qjWjsrWACu3fb72Bu0FLtEi1PBX9VvNpaVzOGkQoty9enCO97ksGSfQw8_eAT_60jDC4/item.JPG?rot=1

D7000+N18-200VRII, @ 65mm, MC, f5, 1/1600, ISO 1000.
  • birdmanbirdman Posts: 115Member
    DSC_3044-1

Last day of the month. 1/4 of 2013....GONE
  • SandSand Posts: 22Member
  • PierrePierre Posts: 360Member
    Great composition, where is it Pierre?
    Thanks, it is 'Place de la Cathédrale' at the corner of Sainte-Catherine and University, downtown Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

In order to build a chopping center under the church while preserving it, the church ended-up freestanding, perched over a big cavity on a cement platform mounted at the end of 3 story high pillars. The church now sits on the roof of the sub terrain complex without having moved at all. That was very impressive project.

• proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Pierre, I love this spot. Ste. Sulpice is just to the left, correct? Have been to Montreal many times, but never to the underground mall believe it or not. My wife and I love that neighborhood.
This discussion has been closed.