Should we start organizing real meetings of forum members/blog readers? Meeting Schedule is Posted.

PeterPeter Posts: 178Administrator
edited July 2013 in General Discussions
I just wanted to move over this thread from the old forum. Let's try to agree on a place and time. Should I post a poll?
Post edited by Msmoto on
admin | nikonrumors.com

Comments

• ben_v3ben_v3 Posts: 59Member
    I'd love a meet up and a poll!
    D600 | AF-S 24-70mm 1:2.8G ED | AF 20mm 1:2.8 D | SB-800
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_v3/
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    I just wanted to move over this thread from the old forum. Let's try to agree on a place and time. Should I post a poll?
    +1 :-bd
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited December 2012
    I might suggest it be in a venue where one can do day trips of less than 100 miles to very nice shooting locations.  Also, the fact most have a lot of expensive equipment may suggest a local outside a large metropolitan area so we do not have a storage problem for lots of expensive equipment.

some thoughts:
    South Dakota's Black Hills/Badlands   (Rapid City, SD)
    Colorado Springs, Colorado,   
    Cody, Wyoming (Yellowstone),   are some thoughts.  
    Glacier National Park is a phenomenal sight, but it may be logistically difficult.

Staying at the park motels is very nice, i.e., The Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone, the price is a bit high and the rooms sometimes rustic.

But, as long as I can bring my 50 pounds of photo gear... I really do not care.  I will be driving either a motorhome or my new Subaru....

And, I will most likely be shooting you and the other folks we meet....so....
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • PeterPeter Posts: 178Administrator
    I always wanted to go to New Mexico...
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    edited December 2012
    Santa Fe would allow day trips to Taos, or just go to Taos.  But I suspect anywhere in New Mexico is good.  And Taos is about 130 miles from some land I have in Colorado.

The Lodge at Santa Fe looks great and the rates are quite reasonable.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    just set the time and tell me the closest airport (preferrably with direct acces from Europe) :)
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

I have children in ND, CO, and live at Glacier National Park, so any of those places are reasonably convenient to me.

My best,

Mike
  • ben_v3ben_v3 Posts: 59Member
    Well Im a hard vote for Colorado since Im already there.  :D
    D600 | AF-S 24-70mm 1:2.8G ED | AF 20mm 1:2.8 D | SB-800
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_v3/
    It seems that Colorado keeps coming up. This is also a good location because it's (kind of) in the middle of the US.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    From Colorado Springs one is next to Pikes Peak (14,000 feet) which has both a road and railroad to the top.  Both worthwhile.  Cripple Creek has some interesting attractions, Royal Gorge and Great Sand Dunes National Park are about three hours away.  For the miniature fans (1:8 scale) Michael Garmin's Magic Town will blow your mind.

Also, one can fly into  Colorado Springs.

From Berlin, Germany the flight is about €1300 or 4400 if you are fussy.

Now, I am about two to three days drive from "The Springs" as we call this town or 1600 miles, but the entire state of Colorado is beautiful.
    Msmoto, mod
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Might just have to get my passport and come down, I would love to explore Colorado.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    Might just have to get my passport and come down, I would love to explore Colorado.
    How far in advance would we plan this? I'd need lead time to pre-pay a hotel and use that to get the missus a visa etc.
    edited December 2012
    I have never been to Colorado but have always wanted to go. So I'm all for Colorado. For those that are looking to save some money, I would be more than happy to share a room....two beds goes without saying.  :-c
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    msmoto - I've been flying around the world from Europe, and never paid more than $700, so I guess I just need to start looking now if we have set up the destination. now... what will be the most convenient time to organise the meeting? 
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    Id do colorado if work permits...  Just 2 states over
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
    I've checked the skyscanner.net and it shows that You can get a decent deal from ORD to DEN for $200 and from Europe one shouldn't have problems with getting flights for $600-$700 (there's actually a Lufthansa promotion right now, where You can find decent flights for this amount of money). 
    Someone needs to figure out the time frame as Adam suggested.  For me, I will be in Colorado July 31-August 4 at another meeting at Keystone.  It works best to have the meeting the next week/end in Colorado Springs.  Aug 8. 9. 10.  

But, I am somewhat flexible, can drive out at another time.  I will be in the motorhome on the 31-4 trip.  Other times?
    Msmoto, mod
    as I wrote before in the old thread, due to work I'm only awailable between 18th one month and 5-6th next month.
    Or, the weekend before....24, 25, 26 july may be a possibility.
    Msmoto, mod
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    So is Colorado confirmed?  I'll be moved to Texas by the end of March and can relax then (Yippee).
    For me the best time is July till around August 15th. July 24-26 works for me (and for Adam and Msmoto). Does anyone has a problem with this time frame? Ay objections on the Location? If not, let set the dates and place and move to the next step (hotels, etc).
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    I'm good with those days. Lets do this  \:D/
    guys... can You please write me what can one do in that area for longer period of time... if I'm gonna haul my butt over atlantic, I'm not gonna do it for three days :) 
    edited December 2012
    I think the idea would be to have a long list of venues for shooting.  And the actual schedule could start on July 21 or earlier for those who are traveling, hauling their butt, from afar.   I can find a lot of activities as I have been around a lot of the state.
    For example, the Sand Dunes National Preserve is a day trip beginning about 3 AM, or staying in Alamosa it is about an hour away.  Sunrise, then an hour trek to the top, then down, wait and sunset.  It is seen from Google maps  Cripple Creek, train rides: Georgetown Loop Railroad
    Royal Gorge Route Railroad
    Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad & Museum  
    Leadville Colorado & Southern Railroad Co all about a few hours away.
    But, one can simply ride around and shoot photos for hours.  Of course the small towns have their characters as well.
    So, in the planning, maybe we are looking at as many days of shooting one wants, then a couple days of getting together and showing photos, discussions on topics, and other items of interest.  Maybe Nikon would bless us with their presence and the new D400...LOL  Or, all the lenses to "test"...more LOL   http://www.colorado.com/things-to-do
    --Header 5 test--
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    thanks Tommie for the ideas, will take a look at them. 

generally, let's guys make the schedule, count the costs and than we will see who comes and not :)