Too lazy to start a new thread..

Comments

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    Yes, because I really want a 5 lb mirrorless camera that costs $12,000.

Leica needs to grow up and realize their customers are quickly crossing the 100 year old mark and rapidly shrinking in number.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I have two vehicles with manual transmissions, one with automatic...shoot in manual mode 99% of the time.

But, if a mirrorless with an F mount, and an EVF which appears the same as ground glass is put into a body with all the controls like on the pro Nikon's, i will go for it.

As to the DSLR, I am wondering what a high speed sensor with a huge throughput....like some of the high speed videos with 200 giga pixel throughputs.... combined with señor technology which captures high resolution and maybe a 100 frames each mirror cycle, and doing this with mirror cycles still occurring at 10 cycles per second, giving a 1,000 fps, yet with a mirror produced ground glass image we can see. The multiple images could be focused differently by the lens, as in VR, the camera's computer separating out the best 10 %....just my thoughts...on how the DSLR may survive.
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Generally speaking, I don't use too many of the features that most lust after but I do suppose being able to fire - say - 100 frames in four seconds would enable me to do hand-held stacks very easily as the shot-to-shot movement would be small enough that the stacking software could cope very well.

Apart from that, I'm happy with 6-8 fps, and find very small bodies only to be useful for really emergency snaps and so I use my phone for those. The Olympus M4/3rds E series are the smallest I would ever find useful.
    Always learning.
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    I will miss the vibration I get from the mirror slap. Visceral. I know it's a problem for image quality. Still....
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I will miss the vibration I get from the mirror slap. Visceral. I know it's a problem for image quality. Still....
    We can simulate that with a small motor and a weight. It will fire just after the photo is taken so it won't affect image quality :D
    Guys: I need a lens profile to use in Lightroom for my Samyang/Rokinon/Bower/etc. 24mm f1.4. I can't be bothered to download the stuff and learn what to do just for one lens so I am wondering if anybody knows of a place where kind-hearted people put these things for others to download?
    Always learning.
    Don't you wish you got the Nikkor now? :P
    Check this out:
    http://www.svenstork.com/essays/rokinon-14mm-lightroom-lens-profile/
    Also Google "lightroom samyang 14mm profile" the link above was the first hit, and there were several others.
    Erm, it is the 24mm f1.4 I'm looking for Ironheart, not the 14m f2.8... :D

I'll have a look to see if he does the 24.

Thanks.
    Always learning.
    Ha, well 14 24 what's the difference? This guy modified the metadata, but should work fine:
    http://darwinsden.com/lens-profile-rokinon-samyang/
    I think he's pointing to Sven's stuff anyway...
    Bizzarely, If I click on Sven's 'essays', there is nothing on screen. If I follow your link, the 14mm comes up ok, and if I just delete part of the path to essays that doesn't work either. I'll take a look at the other link thanks Drew.

Yes, there are advantages to buying Nikon!
    Always learning.
    I've downloaded the profiles for the 6D & 24/1.4 - bit worried about what effect the mount has on it though!
    Always learning.
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    5 pound $12,000 mirrorless.... :-) and Hassleblad is pretty much bankrupt and Sony wants to buy them.... So when will I get my 80mp Phase One/ Leaf/ Mamiya XF for $5000 complete and ready to use out of the box...... :-)
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Leica is a high end luxury brand, they don't care about people who think a $5000 camera or lens is expensive. Leica has been growing in that high end space of a while now. Hasssleblad tried to compete with their rip off Sony cameras with wooden accents and failed to compete. Those Leica's sell like hotcakes with people who have more money than sense.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Just a twin-lens DX kit announced for the Photo Plus expo? Really? I was hoping for a little more.
    Always learning.
    Hey guys, I have to buy a new PC and have decided to go laptop. We have a decent deal in the UK on this one - what do you guys think of the spec?

ACER Aspire V Nitro VN7-791G: i7-4720HQ, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M, 8Gb RAM, 1Tb + 128Gb SSD.

That is the best bang for the buck and I can't go more.

It's going to stand alone (not connected to the dreaded internet) and run LR and PS.

Good enough? What do you think?

My friends old Samsung 700z has a lower spec yet does well.
    Always learning.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    edited October 2015
    Should work for you okay. I also found one here in the US with 16 G ram and 250G SSD but I couldn't find if you can add ram also the cpu is soldered into the mother board so you can't change it very easy if needed. Some of these things are not deal breakers for most people. Just some stuff I came across. I think it should work just fine. If you are not in a hurry keep looking but having the extra ram is nice. oh also the ones here are windows 8.1 is that the same for you.
    Post edited by Parke1953 on
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    edited October 2015
    Hey guys, I have to buy a new PC and have decided to go laptop. We have a decent deal in the UK on this one - what do you guys think of the spec?

ACER Aspire V Nitro VN7-791G: i7-4720HQ, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M, 8Gb RAM, 1Tb + 128Gb SSD.

That is the best bang for the buck and I can't go more.

It's going to stand alone (not connected to the dreaded internet) and run LR and PS.

Good enough? What do you think?

My friends old Samsung 700z has a lower spec yet does well.
    3 schools of thought on this subject. (1).... the cheap route....., most of my fellow photographers locally set a $599 budget for a PC laptop...... Unless they want a Macbook for around $1599.

If you are shooting anything larger than 16mp on a "cheap" laptop, you need to be patient and when it takes LR or PS 10 seconds to open a 16mp photo, understand that LR or PS is not slow, it is the laptop.

Then you have the other end (2)...... Spend the $3500-$6500 on a desktop replacement laptop that will do anything under the sun and open 80mp raw files in less than 1 second each and not crash or give you memory or storage / disc full errors... etc...... and it will be your work horse for years to come.

Last.....(3) with PC's you have everything in between where this laptop falls....... If you choose to go with this laptop, I only have 2 suggestions and hopefully you can upgrade them later.....

Move up to 16gb of ram and upgrade that SSD to at least 512gb. 1tb if you can afford to. I would be fine with the 1TB hard drive for storage, but make sure it is a 7200rpm drive and not a slow 5400rpm drive......

Post edited by Snowleopard on
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
    Thanks guys. Its windows 10 (I would have preferred 7). It's an off-the-peg laptop with no upgrade facilities. I have worked on a 1Gb file in PS with 8Gb and it was ok, so this should be good enough. The graphics card has its own 2Gb too so that should be good.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I just purchased, at the recommendation of one of the countries computer experts, a Dell Latitude 6430u...reconditioned by Dell. On Dell Auctions I paid less than USD $400. 16GB RAM, 64bit OS, i7 running at 2.1/2.6 Ghz, 260Gb Hard drive.
    Msmoto, mod
  • kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    S'n'p, 8GB is a bit on the low side. Unless you can upgrade later by buying another bar of RAM, I'd seriously reconsider. This might work out fine for now and next year, and then you'll feel limited again. Also, I find my 256GB SSD to be a bit meager as well. This is completely ignoring backup and/or TB NAS storage, just a matter of having the luxury of not having to move/delete/reorder stuff all the time once you downoad stuff from an extensive shoot.
    Thanks @kenadams, I have an enquiry in the queue with the distributor about the RAM upgrade possibilities.
    Always learning.
    edited November 2015
    It turned out that an upgrade to 16gB is possible so I have bought it. Thanks for your opinions guys and gal.

It is:

- Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ Processor
    - 2.6 GHz / 3.6 GHz with Turbo Boost
    - 6 MB cache
    - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (4 GB GDDR5)
    - 16Gb DDR3
    - 1Tb HD@7200rpm and 128Gb SSD
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    I think you will enjoy that for a long time. :D
    I certainly hope so because I am getting a very cold wind from my wife! This is Christmas and Birthday rolled into - oh, wait - the D750 and 24-120 was that for the next two years, so I am in deep do-do for this.... ;)
    Always learning.
    spraynpray most can relate to that. Friday I received a RRS full gimbal and leveling base and on Monday I ordered a lens collar and foot. I just say I only need just one more thing and keep hoping she will forget. LOL